Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2004 5:42:14 PM EDT
Florida Deputy Was Aiming For Inmate When He Hit Hostage

The Associated Press

PANAMA CITY, Fla. (AP) -- A sheriff's negotiator says he fired three times at an inmate holding a scalpel to a nurse's throat and a syringe to her chest but accidentally hit the hostage along with the prisoner to end an 11-hour jail standoff.

Sheriff's Capt. Jimmy Stanford said he was aiming at the inmate's leg and cannot explain how the nurse suffered two gunshot wounds. He could only surmise the bullets may have ricocheted or the woman's body shielded the inmate as both fell Monday morning at the Bay County Jail.

``A 30-foot shot from a quick draw and you've got to hit the bulls-eye,'' Stanford said in an interview for Thursday editions of The News Herald of Panama City.

``I didn't,'' he said. ``It eats me up. I've been through it a million times in my head. I know that I did the right thing, but I didn't execute it the right way.''

The nurse, whose name has not been released, remained hospitalized Wednesday in guarded condition with wounds to her side and leg. No update was immediately available Thursday.

Stanford, a 23-year police veteran and lead negotiator, helped obtain the release of three jail employees _ two female nurses and a male guard _ from the third floor of the six-story jail where inmates had taken over the infirmary Sunday night.

Sheriff Frank McKeithen stood behind Stanford, other negotiators and SWAT members who stormed the jail.

``We're supposed to be perfect every time, but that's not the real world,'' McKeithen said. ``When this woman was shot, our world came apart.''

Stanford was in constant contact with the inmates by walkie-talkie. He said it appeared at the beginning that inmate Kevin Bradley Winslett, 32, was in control and the situation could be handled without violence.

During the night negotiators traded pizzas and cigarettes for two hostages and an inmate who had suffered a heart attack. The third hostage was released in exchange for a cell phone.

Negotiations began to sour and Winslett started losing control to another inmate, Matthew Coffin, 22, who directed a more violent approach to the final hostage and other inmates, Stanford said.

Winslett warned that the other three were going to kill a child molester. They already had beaten two other inmates. When Coffin, Kevin Lynn Nix, 26, and James Richard Norton, whose age was unavailable, began popping prescription pills their mood changed, Stanford said.

He said threats of rape and torture seemed real and even Winslett urged officers to get the woman out.

Winslett also told his mother by cell phone that he planned to die that night and the final hostage told Stanford: ``Tell my husband, James, that I love him.''

Keeping his hands above his head, Stanford again asked to see the hostage.

When she appeared, Nix was behind her with the scalpel to her neck and the needle to her chest. Stanford drew his weapon and ordered Nix to release the woman. When he refused, Stanford fired. Nix was released from the hospital after being treated for his wound.

How about one well aimed shot?

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:47:00 PM EDT
[#1]
It's unsat to second guess, airchair commando this one.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:52:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, at least the hostage lived. Had the officer not fired, we don't know what the outcome may have been. This is a case where you have a big shit sandwich and someone is gonna have to take a bite. I think everyone got through this sandwich by only taking a nibble.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:53:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Walker Texass Ranger would have shot the scalpel and syringe out of his hand then put down his gun and whupped his ass with some Karate. These amatures should leave shit like this to real heros.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:58:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like someone needs more trigger time!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:02:51 PM EDT
[#5]
They were the SWAT team!? Where were departments "designated marksmen"?  What level of training did the officer have in hostage negotiation?  What level of training did the officer have in precision shooting? Was his equipment up to task?

It appears his only target was the suspects leg. Perfectly acceptable target given the situation. But why did he squeeze off three quick shots? It does not appear he put one in the subjects femoral then reevaluated. It appears that he tried a tripple-tap.

the industry standard for hostage situations is one well aimed shot, per designated shooter, then revaluate. Not bang, bang, bang, "oh shit i shot the nurse."

This was a job for a trained negotiator backed up by a couple designated shooters.  Not bubba the jail gaurd with his Glock.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:08:46 PM EDT
[#6]
A 30 foot shot is 10 yards guys...  this ASSHAT needs to lose his badge!

This kind of marksmanship for someone in his position is equivilant to medical malpractice, methinks.

Time for some early retirement and tellin Tam stories for this one!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Guy must have watched "Speed" too many times.
"Pop quiz hotshot..."
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:14:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

No, its easy.  He said: "A 30-foot shot from a quick draw and you've got to hit the bulls-eye."  

I'd assume that means he quick drew and missed the bullseye...TWICE.

Deputy Dipshit should lose his job over this one, he's a danger to the public in his lack of discretion.  And yes, ONE shot, WELL AIMED should have been employed, IF ANYTHING considering the hostage.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I love it, already calling for the badge.

For some, if it's not done to NTOA standards, it's not done right. Problem is, there is'nt a book written that covers everything....

This was predictable.....
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:17:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, its easy.  He said: "A 30-foot shot from a quick draw and you've got to hit the bulls-eye."  

Deputy Dipshit should lose his job over this one, he's a danger to the public in his lack of discretion.  And yes, ONE shot, WELL AIMED should have been employed, IF ANYTHING considering the hostage.

REALLY? HOW MANY FUCKING HOSTAGES DID HE SAVE?

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:17:54 PM EDT
[#11]
the old "lethal weapon" trick
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:20:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

REALLY? HOW MANY FUCKING HOSTAGES DID HE SAVE?

None.  Shes in the hospital and the suspect has been treated and released, Hostage caught two bullets, sustaining the most significant of the injuries.  He has been measured and found lacking.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:20:41 PM EDT
[#13]
It's not as easy as it seems, that's for sure.  What I would like to know is, which shot hit the perp, 1, 2, or 3?  

Not gonna second guess this one.  The situation was defused and everyone lived.  It was a success.  Very messy, but this guy did better than some other well trained agencies.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, I don't know the good Captain personally, but I DO know a couple of members of his agency's SWAT unit and they are very good...more than good enough to have reso;ved this shit IF they had positioning to do so. My guess is they did not...the inmates are thugs...not necessarily fools.

I also know this..."The easiest thing in the world to do is to raise someone elses' children"...I was not there...I did not have to try and make that call and then try and make that shot...anyone who thinks such a shot...on a real human target at 30 feet who is moving...while trying to miss a hostage who is also moving...in God only knows what kind of lighting as well as being stressed AND wore-assed-out tired from having been up for hours and hours...not to mention not being a Mall Ninja with superlative training and such but only a common cop...well, anyone who actually believes that this was an "easy" shot is a... fucking idiot!

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:39:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Well, I don't know the good Captain personally, but I DO know a couple of members of his agency's SWAT unit and they are very good...more than good enough to have reso;ved this shit IF they had positioning to do so. My guess is they did not...the inmates are thugs...not necessarily fools.

I also know this..."The easiest thing in the world to do is to raise someone elses' children"...I was not there...I did not have to try and make that call and then try and make that shot...anyone who thinks such a shot...on a real human target at 30 feet who is moving...while trying to miss a hostage who is also moving...in God only knows what kind of lighting as well as being stressed AND wore-assed-out tired from having been up for hours and hours...not to mention not being a Mall Ninja with superlative training and such but only a common cop...well, anyone who actually believes that this was an "easy" shot is a... fucking idiot!

fucking idiot checking in...

also former LEO and agency firearms ofc...

My problem is with what the shooter said.  I'm sorry, but first of all, he shot at the BG's LEG??? what's that about?  If you want, I can get into a pissing match with ya, but that would be pointless.

My feeling is just because you have rank (Captian, Lt. whatever) doesn't make you right man for the job.  It's probably not even his fault.  He's probably soooo burdoned with paperwork due to excessive regulatory and civil-liability requirements to get any decent range time.  

He's a victom, too
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:41:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I love it, already calling for the badge.

For some, if it's not done to NTOA standards, it's not done right. Problem is, there is'nt a book written that covers everything....

This was predictable.....

Hey, at least I spelled it L-O-S-E  and not L-O-O-S-E
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:42:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Walker Texass Ranger would have shot the scalpel and syringe out of his hand then put down his gun and whupped his ass with some Karate. These amatures should leave shit like this to real heros.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, despite the numerous errors that may or may not have been made (I'm not the expert, and wasn't there), the following is a true summary:

Bad guy: back in jail
Hostage: still alive

It ain't pretty, but it looks like it worked.
Top Top