Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2006 3:02:59 PM EDT
After being on some medication for over a year I'm finally coming off of it. Went cold turkey and the results have not been pleasant. Nausea, dizziness, disorientation, tiredness, etc etc.

Hopefully it'll be over within a few days, cause this sure sucks!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:04:20 PM EDT
[#1]
stick with it man, tough i know. try to stop smoking after years and years of the shit
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:04:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Hello, My name is Nlinc  sWs2 and I'm addicted to caffiene...

Yeah, withdrawl sucks, thats why I make sure to drink a soda sometime before lunch...

ETA: oops forgot I have a different name here
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:05:09 PM EDT
[#3]
day 7 of no  booze  im bored actually i have to much time,, it went by faster wheni was shit faced all the time
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:06:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
stick with it man, tough i know. try to stop smoking after years and years of the shit

I plan on toughing it out, but it'll be a hell of a ride until that happens
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:09:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
After being on some medication for over a year I'm finally coming off of it. Went cold turkey and the results have not been pleasant. Nausea, dizziness, disorientation, tiredness, etc etc.

I hope you spoke with a doctor or a pharmacist.  It is not good to quit medications cold turkey.  You usually have to lower the dose slowly before you quit.  Cold turkey can be very dangerous depending on the medication.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope you spoke with a doctor or a pharmacist.  It is not good to quit medications cold turkey.  You usually have to lower the dose slowly before you quit.  Cold turkey can be very dangerous depending on the medication.

what meds? he's right. withdrawal from some meds can be fatal if not done right..
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

what meds? he's right. withdrawal from some meds can be fatal if not done right..

What they said.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:07:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Jesus I think I'm practically dying at this point. About to go puke my brains out. Hope this shit passes soon. My vision is fucking up and I feel like I'm gonna hurl at any moment. Hearing shit too.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:09:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Read this post! What meds?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:10:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Jesus I think I'm practically dying at this point. About to go puke my brains out. Hope this shit passes soon. My vision is fucking up and I feel like I'm gonna hurl at any moment. Hearing shit too.

What the hell were you on??
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:18:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor.

Remind me never to do meth or heroin. I bet this is a walk in the park compared to that shit .
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:18:52 PM EDT
[#12]
uhh, why the hell were you on that?  and why are you "quitting"?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:19:29 PM EDT
[#13]
If youve been on benzos you should NOT do it without professional supervision. There are high risks involved.

ETA you mean SSRI's like Paxil?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:20:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Tired of being in a drugged stupor. I'd rather go through a few hellish weeks of this withdrawal than spent many more months in a cloudy fog.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:21:12 PM EDT
[#15]
you do realize that you are supposed to slowly get off those right?  chemical imbalances tend to cause wacky things to happen
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:21:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
you do realize that you are supposed to slowly get off those right?  chemical imbalances tend to cause wacky things to happen

Tried tapering down. All it resulted in was feeling less like shit for a longer period of time. Rather do my time now and be done with it than drag it out.

As for wacky shit happening, if I move my eyes right or left, my hearing warps and wavers .
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#17]
yeaaah, by "wacky things" I mean suicide, killing sprees, self mutilation, you know, happy stuff like that
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:23:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Ya like shooting up a school, or police station..
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:24:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Remind me never to do meth or heroin. I bet this is a walk in the park compared to that shit .

Yep, I quit Paxil too.

Actually, it's tougher than Heroin.  I honestly thought that I was going to die.

It's worth it.  For me, I really needed the emotional timeout, but when it was time to rejoin the world I was really glad that I did.

If you have access to the archive, check out archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=295500.  I had a pretty good thread going when I kicked it.

Just lock up your guns, take some time off from work, and ride it out.  

You are ramping down, right?  Failure to do so can be suicidal depending on the dosage you are coming off of.

IM me if ya need anything.

Disconnector

ETA: I see that you are not ramping.  Bad idea, dude.  That is a serious fucking no no with this stuff.  Please listen . . . you have to ramp or you may go completely psychotic.  Ask me how I know

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:24:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
yeaaah, by "wacky things" I mean suicide, killing sprees, self mutilation, you know, happy stuff like that

No temptation to do shit like that. I was on a relatively modest dose (half of what the big-timers get).

My mental state is fine and has been for months. I just physically feel like shit at this point.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#21]
well best of luck to you man, just be aware of the possible side effects from cold turkey
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:26:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, I quit Paxil too.

Actually, it's tougher than Heroin.  I honestly thought that I was going to die.

It's worth it.  For me, I really needed the emotional timeout, but when it was time to rejoin the world I was really glad that I did.

If you have access to the archive, check out archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=295500.  I had a pretty food thread going when I kicked it.

You are ramping down, right?  Failure to do so can be suicidal depending on the dosage you are coming off of.

Disconnector

ETA: I see that you are not ramping.  Bad idea, dude.  That is a serious fucking no no with this stuff.  Please listen . . . you have to ramp or you may go completely psychotic.  Ask me how I know

Goddamn, Paxil is that rough to quit?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:28:45 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
well best of luck to you man, just be aware of the possible side effects from cold turkey

I appreciate it. I'm plenty aware of the risks. My sister is a doctor and has insisted I go about it another way.

My biggest fear is I've read about in very rare cases the withdrawal feelings being permanent and that you have to be on these pills your whole life if that's so. If that's the case then...I don't know. In the meantime it's gutcheck time and time to cowboy up.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, I quit Paxil too.

If you have access to the archive, check out archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=295500.  I had a pretty food thread going when I kicked it.

Disconnector

Luckily I still have a week and a half left of college break to sit around and just ride this out. No worries or concerns otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:35:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Goddamn, Paxil is that rough to quit?

I think that a forced withdrawal would be a great way to interrogate terrorist suspects.

I just about lost my fucking mind.  Two steps from the loony bin, friend.

Imagine a post-Mardi gras hangover, the bird flu, random electric shocks, two tabs of acid, a little angel dust, and a case of the shits for good measure all at the same time.

I tapered as slowly as I could, but my shit was severely out of whack for a month.  Luckily my employer valued my contribution enough to pretty much let me sit in a cube for three weeks and veg.  No one would trust me with my admin login (I'm a sys admin for a rather large bank) so I pretty much just read ARFCom and tried to quell the urge to get a shotgun and kill everyone that I saw.

My wife packed up for her Mom and Dad's and took my (then) two year old with her.  That was a smart move.

Paxil is some serious serious serious shit.  It served it's purpose, but I'll never do it again . . . I'll eat the barrel of my .45 first.

YMMV, IMHO. etc

Disconnector
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:39:23 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tried tapering down. All it resulted in was feeling less like shit for a longer period of time. Rather do my time now and be done with it than drag it out.

As for wacky shit happening, if I move my eyes right or left, my hearing warps and wavers .

Fun hearing your eyeballs move, aint it
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:41:45 PM EDT
[#27]
I quit taking paxil a few years ago after a while on that particular drug.  Gotta love the withdrawls
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:45:27 AM EDT
[#28]
BTDT.  I discovered afterwards that even though Zoloft had ceased working as well as it did at the start, it was still better being on it than off it.  Best wishes;  if you need any suggestions, just scream -- although my main one would be to TAPER OFF, don't go cold turkey.  But eventually you have to go from some partial dosage to zero anyway. . . .
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:18:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Download that song Cold Turkey by John Lennon.  It ends with him screaming in agony

Whoa, you were on anti-depressants?  I hope your mood stays healthy if you're off the meds.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:50:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, 3 days in and things are getting better. Improving every day but still not 100%.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:56:07 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tired of being in a drugged stupor. I'd rather go through a few hellish weeks of this withdrawal than spent many more months in a cloudy fog.

Stopping like that can cause some serious mood and preception changes.  Be aware that things may not be what they seem.  DO NOT MAKE ANY RASH DECISIONS.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:56:58 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

no shit
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top