Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2005 5:32:44 PM EDT
I'm 6 days into this diet of eating healthy and smart and I feel miserable. I'm constantly hungry and craving something that actually fills me up, like a freakin' burger and some fries.

I'm trying to figure what I hate worst, knowing I'm overweight significantly or how I am know, freaking starving and miserable.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:35:34 PM EDT
[#1]
its a good idea to have a "cheat day" once every week where you substitute one of your sensible meals for a "freakin' burger and some fries"
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:36:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
its a good idea to have a "cheat day" once every week where you substitute one of your sensible meals for a "freakin' burger and some fries"

I'd be all for it, but I know if I go for it I'll end up going way out of control (like having about 4 burgers and 20 taters worth of fries) and have trouble sticking to the plan.

Now what if I eat how I like but just exercise my life away?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:36:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, the beginning of diets suck. ou gotta give your body time to transition. Just stick to it, man.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:37:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Start smoking. That'll cure your appetite.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:38:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Start smoking. That'll cure your appetite.

I mean part of me says who gives a flying f&#k, life's short, why torture yourself like this. But the other half looks in the mirror and at the scale and goes
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:38:35 PM EDT
[#6]
When my wife and I did Bill Philip's "Body for Life" program, we ate equal portions of carbs and proteins during the week, and exercised every day, but Sundays were our free day, we could eat anything we wanted.  In 12 weeks I went from 220 lbs and 27% body fat to 200 lbs and 18% body fat.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:44:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I call BS.

Eating healthy food is a lifestyle choice, just as eating Big Macs is.  

If you want to be healthy, you should desire healthy food.  

I think the 'cheat day' is destined to fail.  

Good luck.  Are you walking or swimming for excercise?  That's a big part as well.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
<snip>
Good luck.  Are you walking or swimming for excercise?  That's a big part as well.
</snip>

Whats the difference? Is one better than the other? Pro's and con's of each please!

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I call BS.

I'm running for 10 mins a night everyone other night and lifting weights every other night.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:52:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>
</snip>

Whats the difference? Is one better than the other? Pro's and con's of each please!

I would think swimming would burn more calories than walking and also be easier on knees/ankles/back if you have issues.  It's not always easy to find a pool you can do laps in, however.

Walking can be done anywhere - at a high school track, on a treadmill, or around your block.  

When I first started exercising, I started by walk-jogging.  That's jogging for a brief period (as little as 10 seconds depending on your current shape) followed by walking 1-2 minutes.  Over time, you can increase the jog time and decrease the walk time.  

For anyone who wants to start walking/jogging/running, I would recommend getting running shoes.  Even if you don't plan on enterting the Boston Marathon this lifetime, they still help a lot.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:54:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I call BS.

Exactly.  That is my experience with diets.

If you make the choice to do it, it has to be 100%.  If you "cheat" once a week, the diet won't last and you'll get back into your same cycle of eating.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:55:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:04:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>
</snip>

I would think swimming would burn more calories than walking and also be easier on knees/ankles/back if you have issues.  It's not always easy to find a pool you can do laps in, however.

Walking can be done anywhere - at a high school track, on a treadmill, or around your block.  

When I first started exercising, I started by walk-jogging.  That's jogging for a brief period (as little as 10 seconds depending on your current shape) followed by walking 1-2 minutes.  Over time, you can increase the jog time and decrease the walk time.  

For anyone who wants to start walking/jogging/running, I would recommend getting running shoes.  Even if you don't plan on enterting the Boston Marathon this lifetime, they still help a lot.  

Thanks. I appreciate that information.

I've been jogging lately, but I've noticed that I have absolutely no endurance. It's more of a jogging for 1 minute, then walking for 5 to catch my breath, then jogging for a minute, then catching my breath for 5.....
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:04:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
OK:  DO NOT starve yourself.

Eat 5-6 small snacks throughout the day, to keep your metabolism going.  If you starve yourself, your body will turn anything it gets into fat, as it thinks you will need it.  Keep the fats to a minimum, but you still need some.  Carbs, too.   Think tuna and chicken breast, not burger, but it's not WHAT you're eating, but how much.  Moderate the intake.  Instead of a candy bar, I have a protein bar.  I generally have a snack every 2 hours, and one regular meal per day, low in fat and starch.

Drink lots of water, but not to the point of excess. Too much water can deplete minerals from your cells, resulting in swelling of the brain.  There was a police recruit die of water intoxication this summer, after drinking 3 gallons in one day.  I generally drink about a gallon a day, but I'm 6' and 210 (formerly 265).

Exercise.  I recommend the Matt Furey Combat Conditioning, as it is very low impact, and doesn't require any equipment.  Even if you do a minute a day to start, you will benefit from it.  Walking is good, too.  Don't get the heart-rate up into the cardio range, as then you are burning glucogen, and not fat.  After trimming down a bit, then you can start on the cardio.

I have lost 55 pounds over the last 15 months, without "dieting", just not drinking beer, eating less, but more frequently, and moderate exercise.

Good luck.

I'm not starving myself intentionally. I'm eating 3 squares a day, but am constantly hungry.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:10:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Eat some low fat cottage cheese. I eat a little a few hours before bed because I was told cottage cheese burns fast under slow metabolism. I have 2 cheat days a week and th weight is being maintained.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:11:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I have lost about 30lbs eating "smart". More to lower my cholesterol than lose weight. I eat some sort of whole bran cereal for breakfast with skim milk (mostly raisin bran). For lunch treat myself to a big salad. I mean big, three egg whites, handful of croutons, soy baco bits, big slices of mushrooms and a little french dressing. For dinner lotsa Boca brand stuff. The burgers are tasty if cooked in some Worcestershire sauce. The Boca Lasagna and Pizza are really good.

You can buy fat free hot dogs or low fat dogs. Chili sauce instead of chili and fries baked in the oven. Good stuff.

About once a week I eat something fattening and bad for me. After a while the bloated feeling I get causes me to eat even less fatty foods.

Clothes falling off of you is a good reward in itself after the inches and pounds start to come off.

Amy's vegetarian organic stuff is delicious if you can afford it.

And lots of grilled chicken.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:30:07 PM EDT
[#17]
try just doing some simple things that taste good.

grilled chicken with some garlic, tamari, tobasco, olive oil, and lemon juice. is about as tasty as it gets.

add a bit of rice, or small potato, and a salad, and what's not to like?

I'll take that over a big mac anyday of the week.

I used to eat fast food, and now can barely stand it.

get used to it now, and believe me, you'll never want to go back.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:35:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, I figure I was at a low point when I posted this thread, but am feeling better.

I figured I mine as well do something besides sitting behind the computer typing about losing weight and try to go lose some! So I spun up 6 songs from all the Rocky movies and ran in place in the dorm room for 24 minutes without stopping. I got a good sweat going and my leg muscles feel nice and worked.

I'm off to hit the showers
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:37:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Roboman sounds like your on the wrong diet.

Eat food, but eat it in moderation. Like others have said theres nothing wrong with some chicken, and rice, and wheat bread. Check out the food pyramid, it was right over 20 years ago...and its right today.

Hell, start eating low fat cottage cheese its a very slow digesting protein which means you won't get very hungry after you eat it. Eat more fiber, it will stay in your stomach longer since it doesn't digest.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:38:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Eat food, but eat it in moderation. Like others have said theres nothing wrong with some chicken, and rice, and wheat bread. Check out the food pyramid, it was right over 20 years ago...and its right today.

Hell, start eating low fat cottage cheese its a very slow digesting protein which means you won't get very hungry after you eat it. Eat more fiber, it will stay in your stomach longer since it doesn't digest.

All I really want right about now is big old bacon cheddar cheeseburger and large ass plate of fries from Outback
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I call BS.

If you make the choice to do it, it has to be 100%.  If you "cheat" once a week, the diet won't last and you'll get back into your same cycle of eating.

yall must not have the self control it takes to do something like that.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:45:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All I really want right about now is big old bacon cheddar cheeseburger and large ass plate of fries from Outback

ya, good plan eat the cheese burger and fries and piss away all the work you've tried so hard to accomplish.

'least you'll be a fiancial success
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ya, good plan eat the cheese burger and fries and piss away all the work you've tried so hard to accomplish.

Are you implying I'm not trying my best to lose weight?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I call BS.

yall must not have the self control it takes to do something like that.

Funny.  I would say it is a lack of self-control that leads someone to "cheat" once a week.

Exactly WHY do you need to cheat if you have such outstanding self-control?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:55:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Another immediate gratification baby, hows the stock market today, down .010%? JUMP!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#26]
after you start seeing results you will be more motivated to stick to the diet

i used to weigh 278 and through excersize and basically the atkins diet/carb cutting i'm down to 210 and the army will burn the rest of the fat off of me.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:00:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
not drinking beer

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! AHHHH!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:03:06 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I'm 6 days into this diet of eating healthy and smart and I feel miserable. I'm constantly hungry and craving something that actually fills me up, like a freakin' burger and some fries.

I'm trying to figure what I hate worst, knowing I'm overweight significantly or how I am know, freaking starving and miserable.

I was right there with you about 5 months ago. I have gained about 40 pounds in the past 4 years. Decided I was sick of it 6 months ago. Went on a strict diet. Counted calories and what not. Started to slowly drop some pounds, but not as quick as I thought I would. Then I realized the single worst factor about my regular diet. I was a soft drink drinker. Cokes were my life! I realized that I was intaking almost the equvalent to my entire food diet in drinks alone. SO while I was only eating about 2500 a day, I was drinking about 2000! And I didn't even think about it. Super size a drink and then refill while eating there...that contains more calories than the double cheeseburger I just ate. Same with the fries. Anyway, long story short. I cut out ALL cokes from my diet. I have been steady dropping 5 pounds per month for the past 5 months...stopped the starving myself. Just made the decision to drop another thing that was bad for me. Besides, they actually make a lot of great diet drinks these days. Other than that, just water for me. AND IT WORKS!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:03:35 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Funny.  I would say it is a lack of self-control that leads someone to "cheat" once a week.

it sounds like the guy is starving on this diet, which isnt suppose to happen on a diet like most think.

theres a difference between living a healthy lifestyle and going on a diet.  diet usually  means trying to lose weight for something.  living a healthy lifestyle is completely different and for most very hard to do.  if you just want to diet to lose weight for whatever occasion then there is no problem with a "cheat day" every now and then.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:05:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Eat the big greasy cheeseburger, don't have the fries or the bun with it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:08:50 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
<snip>
</snip>

I never understood how people could say not to starve yourself, that doing so will slow down your metabolism and result in little to no weight loss.

Then how do anorexics manage to become bone thin?

What about all those folks in the concentration camps during the 30's and 40's?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Don't worry about counting calories.

Just cut out the crap and you'll lose weight.

I know a guy that went on a "no corn syrup diet". (Anything with corn syrup is crap. You know that, right?) He cut out everything that contained high fructose corn syrup. Ate as much as he wanted otherwise. The weight peeled off this guy.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:12:29 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>
</snip>

I never understood how people could say not to starve yourself, that doing so will slow down your metabolism and result in little to no weight loss.

If you are starved ... ie: no food, no water, etc.. the results are different.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:13:48 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>
</snip>

If you are starved ... ie: no food, no water, etc.. the results are different.

Oh.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:14:56 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Trust me, you have no idea how bad it can get. Try a "Candida diet" sometime. I had a bad systemic yeast infection and C-Diff infestation from antibiotics (Lyme Disease related), and had to stay away from anything that could feed the yeast. Basically nearly all carbs. Sprouted spelt, sprouted wheat, no sweetner except Stevia (even Sweet and Low has nuritive dextrose in it). Stuff like refried beans, goat cheese, no fruit, minimal veggies.

Do this for 6+ months, and get back to me. I lost 25lbs this way, btw, as a side effect of that and a nasty intestinal bug.

I wish you good luck anyways.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:19:14 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

it sounds like the guy is starving on this diet, which isnt suppose to happen on a diet like most think.

theres a difference between living a healthy lifestyle and going on a diet.  diet usually  means trying to lose weight for something.  living a healthy lifestyle is completely different and for most very hard to do.  if you just want to diet to lose weight for whatever occasion then there is no problem with a "cheat day" every now and then.  

If he's starving then he clearly needs to change something about his diet... I'm not saying that.

The only way you will keep weight off is by chaning your lifestyle.  If you lose 50lbs. on a diet then go back to eating the same way you used to (like a lot of people do), the weight is going to come back.

Common sense here.  A diet is pointless unless you make a complete lifestyle change.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you implying I'm not trying my best to lose weight?

naw i'm just trying to get under your skin so you keep at it ;)
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:37:14 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Common sense here.  A diet is pointless unless you make a complete lifestyle change.

ding ding ding!!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:42:25 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
When my wife and I did Bill Philip's "Body for Life" program, we ate equal portions of carbs and proteins during the week, and exercised every day, but Sundays were our free day, we could eat anything we wanted.  In 12 weeks I went from 220 lbs and 27% body fat to 200 lbs and 18% body fat.

My wife and I did that exact program  She stuck to it better than me, but I did think it was a good program exercise and diet wise.  We even got the "success journals"
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:58:30 PM EDT
[#40]

Do this for 6+ months, and get back to me. I lost 25lbs this way, btw, as a side effect of that and a nasty intestinal bug.

Nasty Intestinal Bug is so far the most effective diet I ever had.  I jump started my weight loss last year with a 12 day near-death intestinal bug of montezuman proportions.  I lost a pound a day on average...  I figured, why waste a good start, so I've lost another 15 to 20 pounds since then.

It isn't a method of weight loss that I would recommend to anyone.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:03:06 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Try this guy.

I used to call it my "Monk System" (15 yrs into it it ain't killed me yet).

I go to the gym 6 days a week, eat low fat/carb from Sunday morning 'till Sat'.  Abstain from smoking and drinking during that time as well.

Saturday, after my last work-out of the week, all bets are off! LOL!  I give Myself permission to eat anything I want (I'm making lists all week! lol), smoke my brains out (It really sucks to start up again after 6 days) and generally drink Myself stupid (As my posts attest to).

Sunday morning the whole program starts again.

What I like about it is that I never have to go more that 6 days without My vices (Tobacco, alcohol, Women and food) and my weight stays constant at 178lbs.

To hell with giving ANYTHING up "For life"

Just moderate it man.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:37:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Shit Bro, just come down south, you will blend right in with all us other fat asses.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:41:44 AM EDT
[#43]
In your other post I told  you about Ketosis.

Want the cravings to go away ?

The hunger to go away ?

Figure out Ketosis.

It works.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:56:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Hang in there. You will benifit in the long run.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:19:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Don't crawfish! The first two weeks are the hardest,after that it will get easier. Try excercising more and eating small meals (200-400 cals. at a time) 5-6 times a day.  When you start seeing results it will all be worth it. I look forward to working out and the sight of a greasy ass fast food hamburger makes me ill.  It ain't easy, I have had to completly change my lifestyle, but I have lost 47 lbs in 16 weeks( down from 290 on a 5' 11" frame.)   DON'T GIVE UP![ /b]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top