Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2006 3:51:29 PM EDT
In today's paper, the local Academy has a flier that offers their Mossberg Maverick 12 gauge pump, 28 inch barrel, vent-rib for $136.

How you gonna beat it?

Here's mine, with the barrel sawed off to around 20 inches.

If you have an Academy near you, don't miss this great deal.

Mine works each and every time.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:04:10 PM EDT
[#1]
NOW I know why my cheap ass company got us Mavericks.

I carried one for about a month in Waveland, MS after Katrina.

I was NOT confident in that weapon.

I ended up driving back to Central TX, getting my gun
and, driving back, sans sleep.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:12:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I know what you mean.

When I first saw it, I was a little concerned about the reliability of the gun.

But I've put several hundred rounds through it and it has naver failed.

I did notice that it "loosened up" as I shot it and now is much "smoother" than when it was new.

I have complete confidence in it now.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:13:36 PM EDT
[#3]
yep those need a couple hundred rounds to break it in but after that they're just fine, especially at that price.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like you got a good deal. To this day there are people that knock on Mossberg shotguns. I can say that for me, Mossberg is one of, if not the only name I would trust my life with. Remington is way down the list.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:17:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know what you mean.

When I first saw it, I was a little concerned about the reliability of the gun.

But I've put several hundred rounds through it and it has naver failed.

I did notice that it "loosened up" as I shot it and now is much "smoother" than when it was new.

I have complete confidence in it now.

Well, my company is working on getting me dispensation to carry my AR in
the hurricane prone states, and, has given me permission to carry my own shotty,
so, it's moot.

I'll take your word for it though.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:17:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm gonna order a Mossberg Cruiser (the pistol grip version) from Classic Arms for $200 this summer. I figure it'll make a good gun for clearing the house with.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:21:07 PM EDT
[#7]
What saddle do you have on yours OP?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm gonna order a Mossberg Cruiser (the pistol grip version) from Classic Arms for $200 this summer. I figure it'll make a good gun for clearing the house with.

pistol grip rigs suck(as in painful to shoot), get a stock.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Pistol gripped shotguns aren't exactly practical.
YMMV
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:24:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I would encourage you to try a full-stocked shotgun first.  I have shot pistol gripped shotguns and they are just not as easy to shoot as a full-stocked one.

And the full stock does not really cause a problem with the ease of handling indoors as much as some might think.

Having the option to put it on your shoulder to actually aim is a big plus.  Shotguns need to be aimed, contrary to some folk's belief.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

pistol grip rigs suck(as in painful to shoot), get a stock.  

+1.  I got a collapseable Shotforce stock for mine and,it's only slightly longer than my AR.

I HIGHLY recommend it.  

That or a Cav Arms conversion.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:30:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What saddle do you have on yours OP?

I got that from Specter Gear.

Here's the link:  www.spectergear.com/shotgun_bsh.htm

I am very satisfied with it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:07:16 PM EDT
[#13]
The Mossberg's have improved over the recent years but unless you hit the 535 or 835 i'd stay away from them. the Maverick 88's are a cheap, cheap shotgun that can be bought new for about $150.00. I've shot them before and just not a fan... as far as the price goes, $150 for a new shotgun, you can't beat it.   Just my 2 Cents
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The Mossberg's have improved over the recent years but unless you hit the 535 or 835 i'd stay away from them. the Maverick 88's are a cheap, cheap shotgun that can be bought new for about $150.00. I've shot them before and just not a fan... as far as the price goes, $150 for a new shotgun, you can't beat it.   Just my 2 Cents

You are correct in that this is not a $900 shotgun.

But for $136, how you gonna beat it?

It works every time.  That's a lot to say about any firearm.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#15]
FWIW - Hogue came out with a pistol grip for shotguns a couple years ago.  I don't think it ever got much press but it has gel in the rear portion and takes a lot of the sting out of the recoil.  Not to mention it looks much nicer than any other pistol grip on the market.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:36:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not going to argue with ya. you can't beat it. I was just stating the fact that it is a cheaper shotgun. Just not a firearm that's on the top of my list. I know a bunch of people that have them and they love them too. At the same time you don't need to pay $900 on a shotgun.  Remington 870's you can get for aroun $200 on sale normally around $230-240 or if you have the extra cash, Benelli makes the super nova and those are just over $400. anyway you look at it you can find a gun in just about any pricerange. But for $136 take it, i prob. would for an extra gun that friends can shoot its a good price.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:38:40 PM EDT
[#17]
For $136, I'D HIT IT!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#18]
good deal for any gun, especially a new, american made one
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:44:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Vintage Wingmaster/Police Trade-In 870s
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:25:31 PM EDT
[#20]
136 bucks for a beater shotgun sounds good to me!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:28:16 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Why do you think that you need to carry a gun anyway?  Someone could get hurt!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Send the barrel off to have it threaded for screw-in chokes, and you'd have a pretty good GP shotgun.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Send the barrel off to have it threaded for screw-in chokes, and you'd have a pretty good GP shotgun.

The new 88's are threaded to accept chokes. only comes with a mod. though. they are the same as the 500 chokes.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:52:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:00:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Preaty sure it is Made in Mexico .
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:03:11 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Looks like you got a good deal. To this day there are people that knock on Mossberg shotguns. I can say that for me, Mossberg is one of, if not the only name I would trust my life with. Remington is way down the list.

Nothing wrong with praising a Mossberg but that's just crazy talk.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:09:02 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

mossbergs are made in the USA
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:11:28 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
In today's paper, the local Academy has a flier that offers their Mossberg Maverick 12 gauge pump, 28 inch barrel, vent-rib for $136.

around here that's academy's every day price.  the 18" version runs 10 or 20 bucks more, though.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:17:32 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing wrong with praising a Mossberg but that's just crazy talk.

I was thinking the same thing...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Old_Painless, what did you use to saw down the barrel so cleanly? Did you have to worry about burrs inside the barrel afterward?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:41:06 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Thanks for the heads-up O_P, I need something to replace the worn out model 1200 I bought at a pawn shop and this is just the ticket.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:29:34 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mavricks are made in Brazil

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:02:03 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Booklet says Egale Pass Texas . So Yea Like I said Mexico .
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:30:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Are there any pistol grip and buttstock stocks available for that shotgun? If so about how much do they run?

I wasnt really planning on buying a shotgun anytime soon, but the price seems to be quite reasonable.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:13:14 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Are there any pistol grip and buttstock stocks available for that shotgun? If so about how much do they run?

I wasnt really planning on buying a shotgun anytime soon, but the price seems to be quite reasonable.

Yes . Any Mossberg 500 back end will work on it . The kicker is that the fore end can not be replaced with some thing else .
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:48:52 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Old_Painless, what did you use to saw down the barrel so cleanly? Did you have to worry about burrs inside the barrel afterward?

We used a chop saw with a metal cutting blade.  I cut it right at the end of a rib support and in front of the middle bead sight.

We then used a Dremil tool to round off the end of the barrel and remove any burrs, inside and out.

A little Birchwood Casey Cold Bluing and it looks like a professional job.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top