Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2014 3:32:16 PM EDT

Not shilling here, but just figured I'd ask before I pull the trigger.

You got a favorite "strike anywhere" match brand?

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:37:41 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:40:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm surprised they haven't banned them yet for being too dangerous.

Diamond always worked for me. Bottom of your shoe, etc.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:41:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Not shilling here, but just figured I'd ask before I pull the trigger.

You got a favorite "strike anywhere" match brand?

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA==/z/SoMAAOxyhodRyd0R/$T2eC16N,!)8E9s4l6cOwBRyd0Qyf(g~~60_12.JPG
View Quote

One of the old guys that used to go into the gun store I worked at came home to find his 9 year old son blown to bits because he was cutting the heads of those and stuffed them into a pipe.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:41:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Where do you even find these at? i haven't seen them in stores in forever.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:42:51 PM EDT
[#5]
We always liked the Ohio Blue Tips, but whatever.

Pro tip though, slam a jeep tailgate on a box of 'em enough times and it will ignite.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:47:36 PM EDT
[#6]
NOT the green nor the blue tipped.

Red with the white tip is the only way to go. These have enough stuff on the tip to "pop". You can strike them tip to tip. They're great fun to shoot out the end of a Red Ryder BB gun (no bbs) against a brick wall.

That being said, lighters are better under almost any circumstance. Hell, I prefer flint and steel to trying to get a fire going to matches.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:55:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Red with the white tip is the only way to go. These have enough stuff on the tip to "pop". You can strike them tip to tip. They're great fun to shoot out the end of a Red Ryder BB gun (no bbs) against a brick wall.

http://archive.wired.com/images/article/magazine/1707/st_whatsinside_f.jpg

That being said, lighters are better under almost any circumstance. Hell, I prefer flint and steel to trying to get a fire going to matches.
View Quote

I don't like using them for starting fires in the (wood) fireplace.  You know, like when you have to hold it at an angle for more than a few seconds and it heats up in your hand?  That.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:58:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's why you also include the tip of an emergency candle in your fire kit. Now you only use one match per fire and the candle lasts almost forever.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I don't like using them for starting fires in the (wood) fireplace.  You know, like when you have to hold it at an angle for more than a few seconds and it heats up in your hand?  That.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:59:42 PM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41PYm38LH0L.jpg

I have a couple of these.  PITA.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41PYm38LH0L.jpg

I find some brands work better than others. The ones with the jet action blue flame work very well. That and a big box of fat wood.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed.  I do prefer kitchen matches for lighting my wood stove though.  Don't know why, just do.  I prefer about anything else for lighting fires outdoors.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:06:32 PM EDT
[#13]
What are you using them for, OP?

Besides old-timey reminiscence of back when you didn't need to carry the f***ing box with the matches to light something.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:10:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:11:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Besides old-timey reminiscence of back when you didn't need to carry the f***ing box with the matches to light something.
View Quote

Lighting wood fires in a fireplace.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:15:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would recommend the long matches they have now so you don't burn you fingers.

Like here.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Would recommend "Ohio Blue Tip", but I haven't seen those in years.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SOP is to have a well prepared fuzz stick or 4 and light it and stick it under the pre-built log cabin of kindling/tinder. That way you use very little of your lighter but have a fast second, third, fourth strike capability in windy or otherwise difficult conditions.

We still teach the boys good match technique because it's good for them to know. But, it's hard to be a good lighter, imho/e
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:18:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's why you also include the tip of an emergency candle in your fire kit. Now you only use one match per fire and the candle lasts almost forever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely. My fire kit is considerable. It's one thing that, when you most need it, it will be the most difficult to build.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a wood stove. I used one or two matches back at the middle of October. Haven't needed one since.

When we clean it out, I reserve the coal bed in a dutch oven and then put it back in after getting the ashes out. Ta Da. No match needed.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:21:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Where do you even find these at? i haven't seen them in stores in forever.
View Quote

I just bought some the other day, I did not even know you could buy them, don't remember the store likely HD or Wally, it was some place mainstream.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:22:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
SOP is to have a well prepared fuzz stick or 4 and light it and stick it under the pre-built log cabin of kindling/tinder. That way you use very little of your lighter but have a fast second, third, fourth strike capability in windy or otherwise difficult conditions.

We still teach the boys good match technique because it's good for them to know. But, it's hard to be a good lighter, imho/e
View Quote

One of the most useful things I learned in Boy Scouts was how to prepare a fuzzy stick and a char cloth.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:23:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

They're great fun to shoot out the end of a Red Ryder BB gun (no bbs) against a brick wall.

Forgot about that, use to do that in the 60's.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:27:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Strike anywhere matches are not what they used to be.
I used up the last few matches in the last of 10 small  boxes exactly like in your OP, last night.
They had been in the garage. The humidity here made them worthless, whether striking them on the box or the door jamb. 1 out of ten or so  worked. I also had some standard size strike anywhere in the garage. Out of 7 or so, 2 lit when striking them on the door jam.
Most of the duds had minimal white tips and just smoldered, rather than flaming on.
I'd get a Bic snorkel nose butane lighter if it's just for an indoor fireplace.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:28:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:29:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I can't find them either. I detest the ones that require the box side area to ignite them.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:40:50 PM EDT
[#27]

But really, I'd have a few bic lighters scattered through the gear
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:49:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I use diamond to kick start the fireplace and also keep them in my bobs and other assorted off the grid,shitf crap.

I'm starting a fire....... not driving the motherfucker on a road trip.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:51:23 PM EDT
[#29]
For any of you guys who are anything like me, a certain tube of you has several videos that show you how to both make your own strike anywhere matches, and beef up those you already have.  Just be very careful when playing with fire. Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top