Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/16/2009 4:18:46 AM EDT
Has anyone ever switched to a vegetarian/vegan eating habits for weight loss / lower cholestrol, etc?

I am considering easing into it for a few months out to a year to try and get healthier....

I know I eat way too much processed foods and I have been teaching myself to cook and bake from scratch with home ground flour, less refined ingredients, etc.

My family operates a cattle farm and I love meat, but I feel like I should do it for a while to try and get my body back on balance....

Anyone have experiences with this?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:21:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Good luck with the health initiative. I've been there. But i never went full vegetarian. I would still eat some meat, cause i love it so much. I would suggest trimming red meat. And eating fish.

But there is so much other stuff worse than meat. Namely sugar and fat.

Oh and plant a vegie patch. I did several years ago and i'm sure my health has improved.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:21:48 AM EDT
[#2]
My diet strategy involves "shopping the perimeter"  of the grocery store.  Produce, deli, meat and dairy.

What do you mean by "getting your body back in balance"?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:23:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Good luck with the health initiative. I've been there. But i never went full vegetarian. I would still eat some meat, cause i love it so much. I would suggest trimming red meat. And eating fish.

But there is so much other stuff worse than meat. Namely sugar and fat.

Oh and plant a vegie patch. I did several years ago and i'm sure my health has improved.

Eating fish isn't the sliver bullet.  Lots of fish contain elevated concentrations of heavy metals.  There aren't many that pregnant and breast feeding women can eat.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:28:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Vegetarian won't necessarily get you "back in balance". Your body needs nutrients in red meat, protein and fats in red meat, pork, chicken, fish.

It's about balance, not subtraction. Trim away from a 20oz steak...have the 6oz instead ;) More veggies and fruits, nuts.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:32:41 AM EDT
[#5]
You are a human.  Therefore an omnivore.

See those canines?  They aren't for tearing eggplant apart.  

Do not get sucked into the vege BS.  Because that's what it is.  Go for balance and go for healthy.  When you spend to much time at any wild end of the spectrum like no fat, vegetarian, all protein, etc you will end up screwing with your system.  Sure, there are some hot girls who go all vege :)  but the risk of early onset osteoporosis and the general heaven's gate mentality just isn't worth it.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:33:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Do you exercise?

BTW Flour = bad
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:33:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quit eating meat over health concerns? What, too healthy? Atkins!!! It even amazingly lowers bad cholesterol when followed correctly. Bonus, you can still enjoy BBB sammiches as long as you skip the bread!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:34:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I went vegetarian for lent once. It's really not that difficult with all of the fake "meat" products these days, but still sucked. Just be careful when you go back to eating meat and transition yourself slowly. My first meal with any meat afterwards was a baked pepperoni, salami, and pastrami sub and although it tasted like heaven, I felt like shit and did the same for about two days straight.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:34:25 AM EDT
[#9]
as to what i mean by balance?

Well, I was stupid. I left the farm and came to the city for a few years, and instead of eating wholesome home cooked meals I ate at restaurants and had a desk job and ate crap and now I put on 30 pounds, and I feel like if I make a decision to cut out all the processed crap for a while I can get some of it out of my system.

I  talked about this in another thread, whenever I eat out now and eat stuff that has a lot of preservatives or MSG in it, it leaves me feeling very ill and causes gastro problems.  This is a warning sign that i need to overhaul how I am doing things because what I am doing isn't working....

My thought is that if I can slide into full vegetarian and no refined sugar for a few months I can sort of purge out a bunch of bad chemicals that I figure have built up in my system.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:36:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I dated a girl who was a vegetarian for about a year, I went vegetarian for 9 months.
I went 100% animal free, no milk, cheese, butter, eggs, fish and any other animal product.

I learned to hate tofu and soy real fast.

I didn't loose any weight, in fact I actually lost muscle mass.
I didn't take any protein supplements or any other type of supplement.

After I had been working outdoors for a few days the fire camp we stayed at was serving grilled T-bone steaks.
I ate three of them, never went back to a vegetarian diet.

You would do better to eat in moderation, don't deprive yourself of the good stuff (chocolate chip cookies, steak), just eat a healthy diet in moderation with exercise and plenty of water.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:37:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Think of meat as just one part of the stew. There doesn't need to be a on or off button, regarding carnivore V vegetarian. Cook up a dish with carrots, celery, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, potatoes, turnips, okra, etc., and a pound of sirloin!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:37:20 AM EDT
[#12]
I would rather die.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:38:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well, I was stupid. I left the farm and came to the city for a few years, and instead of eating wholesome home cooked meals I ate at restaurants and had a desk job and ate crap and now I put on 30 pounds, and I feel like if I make a decision to cut out all the processed crap for a while I can get some of it out of my system.

I  talked about this in another thread, whenever I eat out now and eat stuff that has a lot of preservatives or MSG in it, it leaves me feeling very ill and causes gastro problems.  This is a warning sign that i need to overhaul how I am doing things because what I am doing isn't working....

My thought is that if I can slide into full vegetarian and no refined sugar for a few months I can sort of purge out a bunch of bad chemicals that I figure have built up in my system.

Exercise (lift weights and do some light jogging, get your heart rate up).  Eat lean meat and veggies.  Oatmeal for breakfast.  The meat isn't what is bad for you, and honestly, you don't have any bad chemicals in you.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:39:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Don't go veggie only...just don't eat the processed stuff. And as above...moderation. I'm trying to work myself that way, too ;)  Since leaving the Army in Dec I've plopped on about 15lb. Not happy. Work hours make it hard to go to the gym...but that's about prioritizing time and I have to deal with that ;)

But going veggie isn't the solution. Moderation and better foods.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:39:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I dated a girl who was a vegetarian for about a year, I went vegetarian for 9 months.
I went 100% animal free, no milk, cheese, butter, eggs, fish and any other animal product.

After I had been working outdoors for a few days the fire camp we stayed at was serving grilled T-bone steaks.

You would do better to eat in moderation, don't deprive yourself of the good stuff (chocolate chip cookies, steak), just eat a healthy diet in moderation with exercise and plenty of water.

I am glad to hear your experiences.

I do exercise some now, I go for about a 15 minute walk at 430 AM when I get up for work and then I usually walk around the apartment complex or go swimming in the afternoon, and I know I need to do more but I am hoping with diet change I can have better results and maybe get rid of the gastrointenstinal issues I have had recently with greasy/fatty and heavily refined foods.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:40:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am glad to hear your experiences.

I do exercise some now, I go for about a 15 minute walk at 430 AM when I get up for work and then I usually walk around the apartment complex or go swimming in the afternoon, and I know I need to do more but I am hoping with diet change I can have better results and maybe get rid of the gastrointenstinal issues I have had recently with greasy/fatty and heavily refined foods.

Lift weights.  More muscle means you have a higher ability to burn and metabolize fat and calories.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:42:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exercise (lift weights and do some light jogging, get your heart rate up).  Eat lean meat and veggies.  Oatmeal for breakfast.  The meat isn't what is bad for you, and honestly, you don't have any bad chemicals in you.

You might be right.

My biggest problem is that I end up eating meat products that arent good for you.

I suppose lean chicken and lean beef would be fine, but I know for sure I need to massively increase how many vegetables i eat and diversify the type of them.
cuz a piece of lettuce on a big mac sure as hell isnt cutting it anymore.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:43:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You might be right.

My biggest problem is that I end up eating meat products that arent good for you.

I suppose lean chicken and lean beef would be fine, but I know for sure I need to massively increase how many vegetables i eat and diversify the type of them.

I know I'm right.  Do you know how man calories are in a big mac?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:45:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might be right.

I don't even want to know.

And I feel stupid that this has happened because it was sheer ignorance.
When I farmed with my dad I burned massive amounts of calories and I developed an appetite to match and when I moved up here I enjoyed easy street and kept the same appetite.
So until we move back down there in a couple years I gotta figure something out.

I am not blaming anybody but myself for my failure in this regard I am just trying to get on the right track.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:48:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might be right.

I don't even want to know.

And I feel stupid that this has happened because it was sheer ignorance.
When I farmed with my dad I burned massive amounts of calories and I developed an appetite to match and when I moved up here I enjoyed easy street and kept the same appetite.
So until we move back down there in a couple years I gotta figure something out.

I am not blaming anybody but myself for my failure in this regard I am just trying to get on the right track.

An hour, 3 days a week of heavy weigh lifting would nearly allow you to eat largely the same amount of calories that you consumed while on the farm.  Just start cooking for yourself, eat well proportioned dishes.  You'll feel better, get health AND save money.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:50:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

My wife going veggie contributed to our divorce.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:59:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Forget the idea of going vegetarian; not what you need. You have part of the equation: stop eating so many processed foods(like I can talk right now). Chicken, turkey, lean ham, smaller portions of lean beef are the key.

Years ago I successfully quit tobacco. I packed on 30 pounds. To lose it, I simply ate less, and ate smarter. Cereal for breakfast. Between breakfast and lunch, a snack of a piece of fruit, and yogurt or string cheese(to balance sugars of fruit). For lunch, sandwich, or such, and a very colorful salad. Another fruit/dairy snack, and then a sensible dinner. Allowed myself one meal a week to eat whatever I wanted. That is important in many dieticians minds to provide balance. I also did some sort of workout every day; at a minimum, a run. I lost those 30 pounds in 3 months.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:00:27 AM EDT
[#23]
I was vegetarian for 8 years. You will lose weight but I would be concerned about proper nutrition, getting enough protein etc.. I would recommend the zone diet. Not necessarily vegetarian but you will lose all the weight you want without being hungry. Heart of the diet is proper balance between carbs, protein and fat.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:10:38 AM EDT
[#24]
I have spoken to three parents of young adults who tried to save the animals. They didn't know each other, and the conversations took place separately. They ALL 3 stated that it seemed to cause a chemical imbalance. They got moody and forgetful while never realizing it themselves. Maybe it was caused by the lack of solid will power, or it was genuinely diet related. Either way the results were the same. And when 2 of the 3 gave up the quest, they seemed normal again in a short period of time.
My wife is vegetarian #3, the only one of the that is still meatless. Moody doesn't begin to describe her sometimes! Her father swears she was not like this prior to the diet change, though she started earlier than the others and the tude could be part of womens natural change!
I also know a vegi head who is relatively normal... Sort of. He is a little bit left of left. He wrote the St.Joe county Indiana smoking ban(and wanted private clubs and bars included...fascist), doesn't drink(would ban that if he could), and shares a birthday with Hitler(no shiti)! What a great guy to be on the county council.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:13:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Has anyone ever switched to a vegetarian/vegan eating habits for weight loss / lower cholestrol, etc?

I am considering easing into it for a few months out to a year to try and get healthier....

I know I eat way too much processed foods and I have been teaching myself to cook and bake from scratch with home ground flour, less refined ingredients, etc.

My family operates a cattle farm and I love meat, but I feel like I should do it for a while to try and get my body back on balance....

Just eat a huge salad –– without a ton of dressing –– first.  It will fill you up enough so that you eat less of everything else.

Also, you need to start taking a vitamin D supplement every day.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:32:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have spoken to three parents of young adults who tried to save the animals. They didn't know each other, and the conversations took place separately. They ALL 3 stated that it seemed to cause a chemical imbalance. They got moody and forgetful while never realizing it themselves. Maybe it was caused by the lack of solid will power, or it was genuinely diet related. Either way the results were the same. And when 2 of the 3 gave up the quest, they seemed normal again in a short period of time.
My wife is vegetarian #3, the only one of the that is still meatless. Moody doesn't begin to describe her sometimes! Her father swears she was not like this prior to the diet change, though she started earlier than the others and the tude could be part of womens natural change!
I also know a vegi head who is relatively normal... Sort of. He is a little bit left of left. He wrote the St.Joe county Indiana smoking ban(and wanted private clubs and bars included...fascist), doesn't drink(would ban that if he could), and shares a birthday with Hitler(no shiti)! What a great guy to be on the county council.

I couldm't give a crap less about the animals we shoot and butcher our own meat every fall.

This idea is purely temporary for health benefits.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:32:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just eat a huge salad –– without a ton of dressing –– first.  It will fill you up enough so that you eat less of everything else.

What does vitamin D do?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:35:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does vitamin D do?

Keeps your bones from hollowing out, a huge problems with vegetarians in northern climates.  Want to see osteoporosis in a 50 year old adult male with a good diet?  Find a vegetarian in Seattle.

It is somewhat hard to get proper nutrition with a vegetarian diet for a number of reasons.  A good quality multivitamin will do wonders for that, but you probably also want to add vitamin D every single day and a b complex pill as well.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:36:45 AM EDT
[#29]
I have several friends who are vegetarians. It's part of some vows they took. They can eat eggs and some cheeses, but they all have to supplement their diets w/ vitamins and protien

As a result of the limited diet, some of them end up eating More processed food than I do

FWIW, I have eaten a fair amount of vegetarian Taiwanese food; really good stuff; I could easily live on that and some more bean dishes (for protein) and be perfectly healthy. The problem is you have to MAKE all that good vegetarian food That takes time.

Speed
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:36:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does vitamin D do?
Forget the supplements, just drink milk.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:02:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Your diet has very little effect on cholesterol levels.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:10:10 AM EDT
[#32]
The thing is, you need to think of meat as an ingredient rather than a meal. And learn to cook a lot of new dishes with a lot of vegetables, but few starches.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:51:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Yes, and its not too bad and you will feel awesome after a while. Whole grain breads or Ezekeil bread, salads made up of fresh spinach, mixed greens, with almonds or pecans, fetta cheese, olive oil, and drizzle with reduced balsamic vinegar is one of my favs. Nothing wrong with a little beef, but its good to mix it up with chicken and fish. I'll throw a can of tuna on the before mentioned salad and man that's good stuff. Pick up some cereal with flax seed in its ingredients and it will help curb the cholesterol. I like the Kashi cereals made with flax seed and Uncle Sam's is not too bad either.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:09:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The thing is, you need to think of meat as an ingredient rather than a meal. And learn to cook a lot of new dishes with a lot of vegetables, but few starches.

Thats sage advice, thank you
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:16:29 AM EDT
[#35]
This fascinating thread goes well with this box of fudge-striped cookies.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:20:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:22:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If you stop eating a bunch of processed crap, and instead try to eat properly prepared good-quality meats and fresh vegetables and fruit - and combine that with moderate exercise - you'll feel (and be) a lot healthier.  But there's no inherent reason to get rid of the meat.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:23:23 AM EDT
[#38]
I cut out all fast food, junk food, and beer.  For sweets I eat dried fruit - plums, raisins, dates.  For bread I eat whole wheat.  I drink coffee or diet soda or tea.  I eat a lot of meat, lot of it grilled.  Meat is cheap this time of year, every store has something on sale for the grill: chicken, pork, beef, brats, whatever.  No need to go full blown veggie.  I drink a lot of V8 juice too, love that stuff.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:32:24 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm in the same boat you are. Having a heart attack and stents will do that to you.

Chicken and fish,, lots of salads and pasta, fish oil capsules. NO fried foods or processed foods such as chips.   I get one 8oz piece of red meat a week.  Shop around, I found veggie burger patties at WalMart that are pretty good. (Spicy black bean burger)
Top it off with 15 minutes each day on the elliptical.

I've been on this diet for about 5 years now, I've reached the point where the smell of frying foods makes me queasy.  Catching the odor from a McDonalds makes me want to puke.  

It's also cut down on my medication load too.   I'm down to one aspirin, one Beta blocker, one Crestor and a Nitro patch when needed.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:32:35 AM EDT
[#40]
You're doing it wrong...

You need to go on a meat and egg diet and cut out all the carbs from everything else.  Eat only meat/eggs and drink only water.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:35:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Let's see.........

Carnivores, nice and lean:

That's not some tofu he's pulling out of that water!

Now let's examine some vegetarians; BTW, vegetarian comes from the Latin word vegetarianus which means "bad hunter."

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:37:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I went vegetarian for lent once. It's really not that difficult with all of the fake "meat" products these days, but still sucked. Just be careful when you go back to eating meat and transition yourself slowly. My first meal with any meat afterwards was a baked pepperoni, salami, and pastrami sub and although it tasted like heaven, I felt like shit and did the same for about two days straight.

That's exactly what happened to me when I did the same thing, but I had tacos instead.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:44:04 AM EDT
[#43]
There is a huge difference between restaurant food and home cooked even in the same dishes.   Read up on the grass fed beef movement.  I know folks that do that and there is a huge difference in what it does to your body.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:24:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
There is a huge difference between restaurant food and home cooked even in the same dishes.   Read up on the grass fed beef movement.  I know folks that do that and there is a huge difference in what it does to your body.

We have actually been considering switching from intensive feedlot cattle production to grassfed.....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:30:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Meat is good for you. Have you considered exercise?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:43:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Chicken, tuna, turkey, and some cuts of pork are all rather lean and healthy.  You don't need to go all veggie to eat healthy and cut your fat intake.  If you do decide on a vegetarian diet, make sure you eat enough beans to get a healthy amount of protein.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:43:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Going on a gun board and asking for nutrition advice is like going on a nutrition board and asking for gun advice.  LOL

Cut out the processed crap - eat more "whole foods", cook at home and eat a lot more veggies.  It will take self-control - something humans aren't good at.  Maybe make the pledge to only eat veg when you're eating out - and eat more healthy when you're home.

A vegetarian diet can be very healthy.

PS - Twinkies and ho-hos aren't vegetarian - they use beef tallow (beef lard) to make the filling.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:53:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

From what I've read I'd say be careful. There are lots of vegetarians out there that eat huge amounts of fat and carbohydrates under the mindset of "this cheese covered butter dripping panini bread is healthy becuase it's vegetarian". If you make sure to eat plenty of fresh raw fruits and veggies then there can be some great health benefits. Of course, you'd probably get the same benefits from fresh raw fuits and veggies and lean meat...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:54:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Here's a few more things to try.

-Go to a Whole Foods, Wegmans, a co-op, or some similar place with a huge selection of vegetables. Browse the produce. When you come across something you've never heard of (or at least have never eaten), buy it (probably no more than three different things at a time, so they don't go bad before you get around to cooking them). When you get home, look up a recipe for one on the internet, and cook it.

-Deer is good, lean red meat, and cheap, too; it looks like a whole one only costs you $24 plus the price of a cartridge in Ohio.

-You can throw in occasional vegetarian meals. A lot of Korean and Indian recipes are vegetarian and still delicious. If it's Indian, just be careful, since they tend to use a LOT of clarified butter.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:06:56 AM EDT
[#50]

Your post is full of MASSIVE FAIL. Cats are omnivores and don't always eat meat.

Hippos aren't vegetarians either. They are one of THE biggest kills in Africa and will kill and eat people or even predators such as Lions, Crocodiles, ect.

BTW, Fish are practically vegetables... Sooo the Eagle gets props for being a Pescatarian.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top