Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2003 2:43:56 PM EDT
Wish me luck. I'm going to congressman Chris Van Hollen's open house tonight in Gaithersburg. He is a rabid anti-gunner that told me once in a letter that the second ammendment doesn't apply to citizens. He is also leading the attack on "assault weapons" here in Maryland. He is bringing the mother of one of the "sniper" victims to speak at this little event. I probably won't get a chance to speak, but if I do, I'm gonna give him an earfull. In a respectful and tactful manner of course. I can't pass this opportunity up. I told a number of MArylanders about this meeting, but noone offered to go with me. So off once more into the breech. Wish me luck.
I'll tell you all how it went when I get back.

2IDdoc
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 2:48:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't argue, just make your points. Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:02:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Good luck man!
I would be there if I wasnt at work. I tired to get out of it but they chained me down almost...
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:20:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Be sure to bring up the MADD group & how they push for stronger punishment rather than prohibition.

Be sure to mention the DC shooters (refuse to call them "snipers") fired only one shot per victim.

Ask how anyone is any less dead by shotgun versus the dreaded assualt rifle.

Certainly you know these assholes are beyond logic.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:29:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Mission accomplished! I was the LAST question he took for the night. Among other parts of my statement/question that incuded me mentioning that "assault rifles have only caused 1% of gun crime(a few people in the audience said "really?")I mentioned how low power the rifles are, and how in an e-mail he sent to me he told me he didn't think the second ammendment meant that citizens have the right to bear arms( He literally cringed when I said that) My question was, if he was successful in reinstating the assault weapon ban, if that would be the last gun he would ban. He completely dodged the question, he refused to answer it, and focused on the fact that I'm a vet, and how good his vet programs are. He looked like a total ass and at the end the republican candidate came up to me, thanked me for my service and gave me his card.
He spent five to ten minutes on everyone elses question. Mine, he just wanted to go away.
Oh well, now I know the Republican's name.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice job SIR!
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:35:27 PM EDT
[#6]
good work [:)]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:41:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Isn't it funny how cockroaches scatter when you turn the lights on? So it is as well with lying, gun grabber politicians. Good job, 2IDdoc!
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Awesome! [beer]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#9]
During his speach he told everyone not to worry about the assault weapon ban renewal. He said it won't affect hunting, so it's no big deal. Unbelievable. He really didn't want people to know he is against the second amendment. He like other Dumbocrats are staying quiet on the issue. If you mention it they get scared. I bet he wishes he would have saved the guy that called him names and ran out of the gym for last.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:00:43 PM EDT
[#10]
You are my f'ing hero for the night.

I salute you on keeping your cool and explaining the facts.  Your question about "will this be the last ban?" was really insightful and poigniant; however, I doubt the audience realized this, or even notice that he dodged it.  Pity that.

All the best,
James
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:03:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you for your effort to bring some honesty and sanity to that poor misguided state across the river.

For future reference regarding, "assault rifles have only caused 1% of gun crime" please remember to only use the term "have been used in..."

Those pesky little "assault rifles" don't exactly jump up and run around the city causing gun crimes. Not even 1% of them. [:D]

Best,
- LS
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Excellent job!

He squirmed and you won.

CRC
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Excellent job 2IDdoc.

The hat comes off... [^]

LRdrvr
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:22:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:25:56 PM EDT
[#15]
[b]2IDdoc is my hero![/b]

I logged on just to say that!  Now back to lurking.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:54:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice that your congresscritters have open houses. Ours wouldn't dare.

CW
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:58:49 PM EDT
[#17]
2IDdoc, I tip my hat to you! Great Job.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top