Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2005 8:29:05 PM EDT
I'm going into N.O. again, this time to help some friends get some stuff from their flooded Lakeview home.  I'll be carrying my Glock 26, as usual, but I'd also like to bring something to deal with the possibility of snakes and rats in the house (I don't know if this will be a problem, but some people have told us that it is).  I have some .22LR shot shells (10/22 or a Browning Buckmark), and also some .40 shot shells (Glock 22).  The fotie will obviously be more "conspicuous" if fired, so I'd prefer to just go with the .22 unless it will only make the critters mad.

Has anyone ever actually shot anything with these little .22 shells?

--Mike
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:30:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Tagaroo.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:33:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I have killed many rattlesnakes and packrats with them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:11:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I only have experience with .44 rat shot in a revolver.  I would be concerned with the feeding capability of any rat/snake shot round in a semi-auto feed pistol.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:15:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info.  I just went outside and fired one of the .22 shotshells into a cardboard box, and it caused more damage than I expected.  I think I'll go in with the Buckmark.  It doesn't cycle, but I'll just rack the slide after each shot (if it's even needed!)

--Mike
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:20:28 PM EDT
[#5]
they work OK as long is the range is like 5 feet or under much past about 10 feet they are worthless, but that is on the long side for reptile defense
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:22:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I've heard these things only work on very small aminals, like birds and mice.  I wouldn't recommend them.  They're ballistically equivalent to a pellet gun.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:23:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Why not just sneeze?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:37:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm going into N.O. again, this time to help some friends get some stuff from their flooded Lakeview home.  I'll be carrying my Glock 26, as usual, but I'd also like to bring something to deal with the possibility of snakes and rats in the house (I don't know if this will be a problem, but some people have told us that it is).  I have some .22LR shot shells (10/22 or a Browning Buckmark), and also some .40 shot shells (Glock 22).  The fotie will obviously be more "conspicuous" if fired, so I'd prefer to just go with the .22 unless it will only make the critters mad.

Has anyone ever actually shot anything with these little .22 shells?

--Mike

I had no idea .22 LR shot shells existed.  Seems kind of small, but it may call for a special edition for the box of truth.  Hang a bunch of rats by the tails and bang.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:37:30 AM EDT
[#9]
You can use the .22 LR to scare looters away by plinking a few cuts into their skin. If they don't bleed and run, switch to the handguns.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:39:24 AM EDT
[#10]
They work good for scarring off strays at distance.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:43:36 AM EDT
[#11]
.22 super colibris, you'll have to hand cycle them but they are super quiet and will be more effective up close than shot loads.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:46:14 AM EDT
[#12]
A had a retired Philly cop as a boss once.  He told a story about chasing a couple of car theafs through the Whitehall Projects.  Typical 1970's Philly cop - bad attitude and glazed donut physique.  He was loosing the footrace, so he pulled out his .38 and fired up/across the stairwell.  Hit the guy with a load of snakeshot in the right buttcheek (he claimed that he always kept his first chamber loaded with snakeshot).  Finally caught the guy when he showed up at the ER.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:53:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Check out my post here to see what I used them on.

www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=11&t=368540
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:54:08 AM EDT
[#14]
I use them to kill mice in my garage.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:28:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Good at close range, works on tree rats at max of 10'.

They actually make .22 smooth bore shotguns for use with those shot shells. Technically they aren't supposed to be used in a rifled barrel.

They also make a .310 shotgun for use with mini-skeet.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:38:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
.22 super colibris, you'll have to hand cycle them but they are super quiet and will be more effective up close than shot loads.

The colibris work a lot better.  Had a squriel in the attic.  shot him in the butt with 3 or 4 cci shotshells, he did not even bleed much, not less even start to die.  It was at about 6" range - he was holed up in a corner.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:52:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Why not just sneeze?

Good one!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:53:40 AM EDT
[#18]
the shotshells will not cycle the bolt. Depending on the gun/ammo it may not even smoothly feed from the mag. I suggest try to hand cycling em thru the mag. before using em.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:18:59 AM EDT
[#19]
They are fairly loud for city use.  They do sound like a mini shotgun instead of the crack of a .22 bullet.  I have tried those on squirrel at about 12 feet.  The squirrel crawled away before I could get a follow up shot (bolt action).  I wouldn't suggest them on anything bigger than starlings.  They will kill birds alright.   For squirrel I'm using CB longs and shorts.  They do a good job and aren't as loud.   I would be concerned with them piercing the roof if you shoot them inside, as well as richochet.  I also just got a brick of the super colbri and love them.  Not as accurate or fast as the CB's but damn quiet.  Accurate enough at 10-15 feet to get the job done.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:23:15 AM EDT
[#20]
It should work at close range.  Happy hunting.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:33:18 AM EDT
[#21]
20 years ago my friend's dad used to train their hunting dogs with them and a Ruger Single-Six. If the dog wouldn't mind - pop - stung the shit out of 'em at about 20'. They would follow any command after that happened a few times. I did see him shoot my buddy one day, right in the ass. I thought it was funny at the time, it didn't penetrate his blue jeans just stung like hell. I was laughing my arse off when he turned to me and asked if I wanted some, I gave a nice and clear "NO SIR".    We did used to regularly kill rats with them in their feedbarn at 10' or less.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top