Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2002 12:49:23 PM EDT
OK - I know what yer thinkin.' What could be closer to hell than that???? [}:D]

Actually, I want to create one for an AR15.com Internet Match Forum, where we can set up "postal" type matches where everbody shoots at their own ranges, and then we post results / pics of scoring targets here afterward.

The logistics of determining rules, establishing classes of shooters, the posting of scores and other admin are TOO HARD to do via e-mail, or by posts in the GD forum.

I e-mailed ya, but not being a patient person (and hoping to have a first match this weekend) I figgered I'd bug ya here too.

Please lemme know.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 1:03:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds good but I would expect some shooters might [i]cheat[/i]?
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 1:18:18 PM EDT
[#2]
CHEAT? its only cheating if you get caught!
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 1:18:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

If ya gotta cheat in an internet match, well, ya just need to GET A LIFE. [:D]

We'd post pics of the scoring targets on teh site that everyone can see.
At least that's what I'm thinkin' now.

Link Posted: 6/18/2002 1:23:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 1:27:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well if they do, then they go to HELL[:D]

There is a Competition forum, and you may be able to just post that sort of thing there though.  It does have a large volume of traffic, but not as much as the GD.  At least it won't fall off as fast, and the target (get it, "target") audience is right there.  Most people that would probably be participating are hanging out down there anyway.  

You could get downloadable targets thumtacked so the tragets are standard.  Or thumbtack a shoot that's in progress andjust drop it off the tack after it's completed and the scores posted for a couple days.

Give it a try down there for now.  Just remember to advertise it on the GD for better exposure.

Ross
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 1:32:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There is a Competition forum, and you may be able to just post that sort of thing there though.  
Give it a try down there for now.  Just remember to advertise it on the GD for better exposure.

Ross
View Quote

Ross (and Goatboy)

Please read Aimless post (above)

I've tried the e-mail / post within another forum thing, and it AIN'T WORKIN'. AT ALL.

Shoot, we have a danged "History" forum here. Why not a "Internet Match Forum?"

[:D]

Link Posted: 6/18/2002 3:38:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is a Competition forum, and you may be able to just post that sort of thing there though.  

Ross
View Quote

Ross (and Goatboy)

Please read Aimless post (above)

I've tried the e-mail / post within another forum thing, and it AIN'T WORKIN'. AT ALL.

Shoot, we have a danged "History" forum here. Why not a "Internet Match Forum?"

[:D]

View Quote

Well, since you've tried it within another forum (I assume other than GD, which certainly isn't a great place to conduct any business about shooting or guns[;)]) then a separate forum would seem like the answer to me.  

I've seen postal match forums on other boards, and they work.  It sure makes it easier to get one going and done.  Setting up a separate website link (ala BRC) doesn't work as well for an event that has information changing all the time.  It's certainly more convienient for the participants to have access to the info right on the board, rather than have to go off-site for it.  Also postal matches can be great fun and have a great deal to do with the underlying reason for this website.  That is to shoot AR's.  

Put me down as a "Yes" vote for a postal match forum.

Ross
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 3:52:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Amateur radio has had contests based upon the honor system for a longgggg time.. (they do cross verify contacts on many contests now) but overall, everyone is honest.

If you feel you have to cheat, you have some issues and need help, seriously!

Link Posted: 6/18/2002 4:01:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 4:05:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I would like to get in on this..  Might make me go shoot some more.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 4:10:06 PM EDT
[#12]
This is a great idea!

Just ignore the powder burns on my targets. [rolleyes]

Link Posted: 6/18/2002 4:10:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd be interested, but don't want to be the only one in the "boy, he sux" class.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 4:21:15 PM EDT
[#14]
How about just tacking a Postal Match thread at the top of this forum and using that to set up the matches? Thats what they do at Milsurpshooter.net and it seems to work great!
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 4:26:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 4:34:14 PM EDT
[#16]
You can have your own Forum, as long as ETH and yourself play nice and stop violating the Code of Conduct rules, of thread degradation and pissing matches.[}:D]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 6:06:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Ross
View Quote

Would chen and his family be there ?  [:K]

Link Posted: 6/18/2002 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This is a great idea!

Just ignore the powder burns on my targets. [rolleyes]

View Quote

Gabriel:
That's why you have to staple a "practice" target over the "record" target....powder won't burn on to the record target.....errrr, at least, that is what I've heard [:D]

SRM
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 7:27:02 PM EDT
[#19]
So how does this postal match thing work?
You get a couple of guns, dress up in authentic looking clothes (funky shorts with a stripe down the leg), and try to shoot as many pepper poppers in 30 seconds as you can?
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 8:43:46 PM EDT
[#20]
He hears ya knockin' but, he doesn't appear to be answerin'.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 8:46:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 3:50:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Ross
View Quote

Would chen and his family be there ?  [:K]

View Quote

Only if he was cheating with his AK.[;)]

Link Posted: 6/19/2002 3:56:18 AM EDT
[#23]
The great thing about a separate forum is that you can have several different matches going at once.  You can have us AK lovers shooting one, while the AR crowd does one.  You can also have other types of matches, like WWII service rifle, FAL, Mauser, Luger, Full-Auto, whatever strikes your fancy to set-up and run in the forum.  We can have several going on at once, it's not like Garandman has to be saddled with running each and every one at separate times.  A forum will let even the smallest number of folks participate.  It will also cater to the varied gun interests on the board.  Sort of like just getting together with your shooting buddies at the range.  You just happen to be in different states.

Ross
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 4:07:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So how does this postal match thing work?
You get a couple of guns, dress up in authentic looking clothes (funky shorts with a stripe down the leg), and try to shoot as many pepper poppers in 30 seconds as you can?
View Quote

For those that don't know:
A postal match is simple. You have a course of fire.  It can be whatever range, and condition you want, but you have to have it simple to duplicate by everyone.  You download the target off the forum.  Or you use a standard/easily available target.  You take the target to a range and shoot the course of fire (like ten rounds standing, ten kneeling and ten prone). You send the target to the guy running it (though in this day and age you could just scan it) and the scorer posts the results.  It isn't as intense as actual competition, because the other shooters aren't there, but it's fun nonetheless.  You shoot it at your local range.  Even the folks overseas can participate.

The variations are endless.  We can do a table "C" M16/AR-15 qualification.  We can do a "quick-fire" with the sights taped over.  We can do anything anybody wants, because the variations are endless.  We just have to keep it simple enough so everyone can duplicate it in their own area.

Ross
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 6:28:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'd be interested, but don't want to be the only one in the "boy, he sux" class.
View Quote

I invented that class, so you'll be in good company with me.  Welcome to the board by the way.

I think handguns would be good too.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:03:09 AM EDT
[#26]
so when does this all start I am ready to do it[beer]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:11:46 AM EDT
[#27]
originally by colt_5_5_6:
so when does this all start I am ready to do it
View Quote

As soon as I can get  a reply from the site admin.

I've emailed them TWICE and started this thread. Don't know what else to do.

I am anxious to get going.

Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:29:25 AM EDT
[#28]
G-man go over to [url]http://www.rimfirecentral.com/yabbse/index.php?board=63[/url]
My ole buddy Joe has been running postal matches for years...
they got rules targets competitons..etc.. UP Michigan and Wi. boyz who winter in TX and run matches down there in the winter...
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:33:02 AM EDT
[#29]
THANKS divdoc!!!!!!!!!

I'll check it out.

Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:36:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I invented that class, so you'll be in good company with me.  Welcome to the board by the way.

I think handguns would be good too.
View Quote

I have an idea for a "no lowers-Zipgun AR" postal match. Ten rounds, fired from a 16" or 20" barrel, using a tack hammer instead of a lower to fire it.

Big fun for all!
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 8:24:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

No problem there...  Lot's of us can "shoot our mouths" better than our ARs
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 8:31:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 8:34:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Hey I am a BUSY goat...

Let me finish the current upgrade set for the forums and we'll add this! I really like the idea... if need be, we can move now and not wait.

Mark, lets talk via email and figure things out... first match should be a private one with you and ETH for ruler of the universe! (That's a JOKE, you two tards are a pain in my ass!)

[=D]
View Quote

EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!

I've sent you an e-mail via your Ar15.com addy.

I'll continue this there.

In the meantime, I must return to my efforts to outdue Eric for sole possession for the PITA title.

[}:D]

Link Posted: 6/19/2002 8:55:47 AM EDT
[#34]
http://proveit.www8.50megs.com/

Try and see how he set this up. It is for 22 but gives an idea. The rules and targets are printed there.

I don't know how to make links yet so you will have to copy & paste. that way I would do it is people in the area get together and go shoot. This way there will be witnesses. Or have a range officer vouch for your target.

Anyway sounds like it would be good to try out.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 8:59:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top