Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2002 3:48:21 AM EDT
[url]http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2002/05/23/goatshot.DTL[/url]

[b]Goat Gunned Down In East Bay Park[/b]

OAKLAND, CA, USA -- Oakland police are looking for a man who gunned down a goat that was part of a grazing herd the city hires to mow the grass in some of its parks.

Oakland Parks and Recreation Department supervisor Martin Matarrese said today that a man with a rifle fatally shot a single goat at long range shortly before 11 a.m. Tuesday in Glen Daniels/King Estates Park at 8251 Fontaine St.

The park borders Howard Elementary School, but school officials said this afternoon that no children or staff had seen the shooting or been affected by the goat's death.

One school official expressed dismay upon learning that the goat had perished.

The goat was one of several hundred that are grazing in the 75-acre park for about three weeks to lower the risk of wildfire from dry grassland. The herd, which is owned and operated by a Davis company, will move to other Oakland open spaces when its work in Glen Daniels/King Estates Park is done.

The Oakland Park Rangers, a division of the Oakland Police Department, took a statement from a shepherd who witnessed the shooting while tending his herd, but Matarrese was not optimistic about the chances of finding the shooter.

"There's not much to go on,'' he said.

About five years ago, a group of youths with a pellet gun shot several goats in their eyes at close range. The goats were gravely wounded and had to be euthanized.

Also about five years ago, a group of dogs mauled a goat, which had to be euthanized.

-----------------

Cold hearted bastards!  Probably learned how to shoot goat's by playing those damm firearms simulators ( ie. Doom ).
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 3:53:06 AM EDT
[#1]
That is cruel.BUT DON'T blame video games for the lack of ethics of kids whose PARENTS aren't teaching those kids RESPONSIBILITY,ACCOUNTABILITY,AND GOOD MORAL ETHICS.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 5:28:09 AM EDT
[#2]
mac-daddy,

i DO blame video games for the violence in todays youth........, especially after they have said it affected what they did.......!!

i say NO video games containing violence before 18 y.o. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 5/25/2002 5:47:54 AM EDT
[#3]
bullshit I've played video games since I was 5 and I'm fine [bd]

seriously, the only difference is that my parents took the time to teach me right from wrong rather than just punish me and not tell me why.

it pisses me off when you hear all this crap about people fighting the the tabacco companies advertising. I agree that they are targeted toward children and are wrong, but the way they present their case they act like kids are so stupid if they see it they will have to run out and try it.

no what this kid needs is a good ass kicking.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 6:04:10 AM EDT
[#4]
TESTIFY
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 6:15:14 AM EDT
[#5]
you harass my child and you will hear from my lawyer, it was 'just' a goat, it's not the shooter's fault, society forced them to do it, they can't be held responsible because... blah blah
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 4:13:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey, I was just kidding about the video games being the cause.  I jokingly threw that in to blame something other than the gun.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 6:30:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 6:44:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I hope someone on the scene had the good sense to dress and clean it.  Goat is not bad properly prepared......I bet that would have caused a scene had anyone attempted it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 7:16:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 8:25:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Why don't they use all the Democrat jail trustees they house at taxpayers expense, push lawnmowers do not create pollution.

Watching Democrats sweating their asses off pushing lawn mowers in striped uniforms is such sweet justice.  "Do it for the children, and the taxpayers"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top