Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2004 2:48:34 PM EDT
Ok, I am a Glock newbie....got my first one yesterday.
Say I was going to store it for an extended period of time....

With every other gun I own, I dry fire before storage to release any pressure on the hammer spring.
With the Glock...there really isnt such a thing.

Should I dry fire before storing or does it make no difference at all?
I looked at the damn thing all night and for the life of me, I couldnt detect an obvious benefit to dry firing first....there is no hammer! I understand (kinda) how the striker system works but damn is thats a complicated little design. Seems very well engineered.

What do you Glock experts recommend?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:49:31 PM EDT
[#1]

A shovel.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:50:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Bumpfire it underwater...
It's the only way to be sure...!
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:50:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I think there is a spring holding the striker back.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#4]
The constant pressure on the springs doesnt wear them out, it's the constant pressuring and releasing that wears them out. Same with the magazines, leave them loaded it 's not gonna make a difference with the springs in use today.

Edited to Add: If this is a personal defense weapon you should be replacing the springs yearly anyways just to be safe.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:53:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Should such things really be worried about when you're talking about a Glock?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#6]
When you "rack the slide" on a Glock and the trigger moves forward, there are NO springs under any kind of tension.  

You compress the striker spring as you pull the trigger rearward, and the trigger springs offer resistance.

If you care to, physically and visually check the chamber to ensure the weapon is safe, and pull the trigger.  That's what I do.

FWIW, I'm an an expired Glock Armorer.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:57:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't worry, oh and it's microwave safe too!
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#8]
If you plan to store it in the original tupperware box you'll need to do as Nationwide says; make SURE its clear, pull the trigger and put it in the box - you can't get it in the box with the trigger in the 'ready' position.   Thats how I keep mine - in the tupperware.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:04:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I would worrie more about the plastic than the springs.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:15:19 PM EDT
[#10]
If I was to keep mine unused for an extended period of time , I'd make sure it was unloaded and the trigger back. (dry fired) It really doesn't make much difference, an no harm is done either way.
Glocks are great guns. I highly recommend them.

Since you are new to Glocks, might I suggest you register at the unofficial Glock website.
www.glocktalk.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top