Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2001 12:58:54 PM EDT
I have a second generation Glock 22.  It has always had a problem of not fully going into battery after a shot.  It only occurs sometimes. I am not limp-wristing the Glock but a steadier hold does seem to minimize the problem.  The slide will return until its about an 1/4 of an inch form fully being seated. If you tap the rear, it will go into battery.  Is the spring too weak?  Thanks for any ideas.  Would it be worth returning to get it updated to a third generation gun?
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 1:10:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure replacing the spring will help but I doubt that's the problem.  Are you using reloads or cheap ammo?  If the case isn't crimped properly where the bullet meets it, it will cause it to hang up.  Also check your magazine.  I have a Glock 21 that I tried a used magazine that I had just bought, it was hanging up in exactly the same way.  I found my magazine can move up about 1/8 an inch.  I haven't tracked it down to the magazine having a loose fit or if the magazine spring is weak and not holding the round high enough for it to feed properly.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 1:12:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 1:20:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Waldo, its that what I think it is?  Ouch!  Swire,I dont know if its tha magazine. Both mags that came with the gun will do this.  Its an early 2nd gen gun and the mags were the first ones to drop free.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 1:40:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine does the same thing.  If I release the slide empty very slowly I can replicate the stoppage.  Like you said Gene, no burrs to speak of.  I am going to email Glock and see what they have to say.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 1:56:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 3:27:44 PM EDT
[#7]
[url]www.f-r-i.com/glock/FAQ/FAQ-casefailure.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 3:35:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 4:03:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I was RO'd a local IPSC match last June and a guy had his Glock 22C bolw the hell up. The top of the slide from the ejection port foward abut an inch was.........gone.
The top of the barrel/locking lug was also....gone. Blew part of the trigger away also, frame may have been screwed.
We were on a Virigiana Count stage and it was his last round. He had all the other hits so it WAS NOT A SQUIB LOAD.
His dad, who is a real rocket scientist, reloads all the family ammo on a Dillion 650. The load was 8.5(?) gr True Blue with a 185(?) JHP. Sorry, I don't fully remember the load, but it was just making Major.
We believe it fired out of battery.
I posted the full run down of events on Glocktalk or Glockmeister and they didn't want to hear about it, i.e. it had to be a double charge bla bla bal, or a squib load etc etc etc.
I believe it fired out of battery. I was standing right next to him and saw the grey smoke blow out the top. I don't think a double charge of that powder will fit in a 40 case.

Bill

Happiness is a warm gun...
Bang bang, shoot shoot...
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 4:06:23 PM EDT
[#10]
We also checked his remaining ammo to see if his crimp was tight. We pressed hard against a bench  and it didn't budge.

Free 2¢ today

Bill

Happiness is a warn gun...
Bang bang, shoot shoot...
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 5:39:43 PM EDT
[#11]
ARDOC,

If you are using factory magazines with reputable name factory ammo (no problems with bad crimps or OAL) then replace the recoil spring assy. I've encountered just what you describe several times on the range. All I can remember were taken care of with new spring assy.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 6:40:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 6:55:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It might not hurt to spend $7 on a new recoil spring assembly, though.
View Quote

Then return the old one to Glock, explain the problem you had and state you've purchased a replacement.  Glock will/should replace & return to you a new guide rod spring assy. free of charge.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I will try that since its the simpliest solution.  Actually I think I will try to trade it in on a HK tactical.  Its ok because the actual number of guns that I own is not shrinking merely changing composition!  Thanks to all you guys for the ideas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top