Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2003 4:51:31 AM EDT

how exactly will global warming cause the seas to rise?

when i have a glass full of water and ice, and the ice melts, the glass doesn't overflow.

http://www.smh.com.au/text/articles/2003/12/07/1070732073547.html

Global warming could submerge three large Indian cities
Date: December 8 2003

Global warming could submerge three of India's biggest cities beneath the sea by 2020 unless the crisis was brought under control, an Indian scientist warned yesterday.

"If the warming continues, there will be about half to one metre increase in sea level by 2020 and cities like Bombay, Calcutta and Madras will be completely submerged," said Rajiv Nigam, a scientist with the Geological Oceanography Division in the western Indian state of Goa.

He said a one-metre rise in sea level could cause five trillion rupees ($A147.24 billion) worth of damage to property in Goa alone.

"If this is the quantum of damage in a small state like Goa that has only two districts, imagine the extent of property loss in metros like Bombay," he added at a workshop in the National College in Dirudhy, Tamil Nadu state.

He also predicted that global warming could cause frequent cyclones along the coastal areas and affect the annual monsoon rain, which is crucial for India's farm-dependent economy.

AFP

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:55:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Oh darn...
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:58:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Gloom n' Doom.  The sky is falling.  People like this are always wrong.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:02:31 AM EDT
[#3]
The sooner the better. India has too many people now anyway.

My personal belief is that global warmimg is a fraud and a hoax.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:07:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Good maybe we can get out tech support jobs back.

Any when you call you call tech support for your computer equipment you can get someone who speaks english and knows what the hell they are doing.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:11:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:12:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Remember when we were looking at an imminent ice age?  As late as 1983 or so, it was still being taken seriously.
Nothin but gloom and doom, because [i]nobody knows[/i].  We simply do not have enough information to tell what is going on.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:20:43 AM EDT
[#7]
According to my local weatherman, 11 of the last 13 months have been colder than normal.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:27:49 AM EDT
[#8]
[url]http://www.eco.freedom.org/el/20031102/gunter.shtml[/url]

[url]http://www.eco.freedom.org[/url]

Good stuff maynard.

Scott
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:30:11 AM EDT
[#9]
One needs just take one good look at that real bright thermonuclear thingy in the sky, what a Concept!!!  

The Sun is extremely active right now,  evidence is pointing to the fact that its energy output has increased in the past couple decades.  The Sun goes through cycles of varing output, there was period of the Middle Ages that was even hotter than today. Plus the doom and gloom "Global Warming" blowhards dismiss Volcanoes, even though the world is one eruption from a ice age, if Yellowstone goes (magma chamber is roughly 50 miles ACROSS!!!), adios!!!!
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:32:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Global warming is indeed happening but in my opinion due to natural changes/cycles.  People seem to forget there was something called an Ice age.  The earth is constantly changing, just slowly.  Much of the ice is on land in glacial formations so they would indeed add to the overall rise in the oceans.  These won't be the first Indian cities to disappear beneath the sea either.  Pretty good book out called Underworld that deals with underwater archeology.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:36:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Global warming my ass.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:43:29 AM EDT
[#12]
You can't measure this stuff in years or hundreds of years.  It is more like thousands and tens of thousands and even then it is slight.  Everything else is political horse puckey.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:45:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Any when you call you call tech support for your computer equipment you can get someone who speaks english and knows what the hell they are doing.
View Quote

Thats exactly what i was thinking.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:46:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Naaah.... they'll just import those same poor souls over here, illegally or otherwise, pay them the same wages (that they will have already fronted to them to pay for airfare here [and that of their families] and now they must work off) and have them work out of an overcrowded apartment that they all live in, which will be outfitted with multiple phone lines and terminals.....

It's the new "indentured servant" AKA wage slave....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top