Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/25/2005 6:42:17 AM EDT
When do I have to show ID?

Do I have to answer a police officer's questions?

Is it illegal to lie to a police officer?

Etc...

This is really more for curiosity than anything, I'm always sort of disappointed in myself when someone talks about dealing with the police and I realize I'm not sure of what my rights would have been in their situation. I figured it was time to learn and you guys could either give me the rundown or point me to a good website to read from.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 6:44:22 AM EDT
[#1]
When asked.

Nope.

Depends.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 6:46:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 6:47:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
When do I have to show ID?

When they ask.

Do I have to answer a police officer's questions?

No

Is it illegal to lie to a police officer?

Depends, but don't lie about who you are.

The fact of the matter is this.

9 times outa 10 if you treat them with respect you will get treated the same way back.

They just want to go home like you do.  ANd never did I EVER get hassled by the cops where I didn't deserve it.

EVER.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 7:57:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 8:04:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Name, rank, serial number, and date of birth.

Make no other statements, written or oral, until after consulting with a lawyer.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 8:05:43 AM EDT
[#6]
If you lie it is always a problem for you.  Getting caught in a lie is oftentimes used as probable cause for detention, search warrants, and whatever else is neccessary to figure out WHY you lied.

shooter
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 8:10:18 AM EDT
[#7]
You shouldn't be lying because you shouldn't be talking.

Give name, provide ID, shutup and ask for lawyer.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 8:12:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Be polite, respectful and show them where your hands are.  Turn on the lights if its dark out.  

You dont have to kiss their ass but I know I am innocent and they are just doing their jobs.  

I have been pulled over 5 times now in the last 3 years and no tickets.

Link Posted: 7/25/2005 8:24:06 AM EDT
[#9]
You really have to define a specific situation for a reasonable answer to your questions.

If you're talking about traffic stops and searches you can start here but it is only a starting point.

www.flexyourrights.org/
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 8:40:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 8:43:32 AM EDT
[#11]
when they ask??? bullshit if a cop walks up to you for no appearent reason and asks for your papers you do not have to show them
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:12:59 AM EDT
[#12]
There is a website the ACLU made that talks about all you can do and good tips to defuse a situation before it becomes something; like when the cops come to your door, step out, close the door behind you , and lock it. I'll look for it, very good stuff, the ACLU is a very good group, just don't let that one or two douches you see on TV ruin your whole perseption of the orginization.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:13:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
when they ask??? bullshit if a cop walks up to you for no appearent reason and asks for your papers you do not have to show them

Actually, wasn't there a Supreme Court case about this very issue?  Didn't they rule that you HAD to provide ID when asked by a police officer?
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:14:10 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
When asked. <------Bull shit

Nope.

Depends.

Depends on what state you live in.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:15:54 AM EDT
[#15]
http://www.aclu.org/PolicePractices/PolicePractices.cfm?ID=5009&c=25

There ya go. Good stuff.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:20:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, wasn't there a Supreme Court case about this very issue?  Didn't they rule that you HAD to provide ID when asked by a police officer?

There is no requirement for any US citizen to carry ID "papers"
There are laws which state you must tell the officer your real name.
Those laws that I have read make it a disorderly offense not to ID.
In other words you can tell the cop your name and if you don't have any ID there is no crime, PERIOD!
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:21:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
There is a website the ACLU made that talks about all you can do and good tips to defuse a situation before it becomes something; like when the cops come to your door, step out, close the door behind you , and lock it. I'll look for it, very good stuff, the ACLU is a very good group, just don't let that one or two douches you see on TV ruin your whole perseption of the orginization.

The ACLU are a bunch of fucking cocks.

You've got that the other way around. Maybe there are one or two decent ones...maybe.

With that said, there may be some valuable information regarding the do's and don'ts I really don't know.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:23:46 AM EDT
[#18]
How do you answer: "Do you know how fast your were going?"

I just say "yes" and leave it at that.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:24:32 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You've got that the other way around. Maybe there are one or two decent ones...maybe.

I'd rather take advice from the ACLU than ARFCOM. I tend to doubt a group if half their answers to a major problem is 'draw down' or 'nuke from orbit'. These people looked at every problem in many states and see how it can beprevented. I say this because of reading some of the stuff off the ACLU website saved me from some speeding tickets. They have many good ways to approach a problem and how to avoid hanging yourself with the rope you are given. ARFCOMMERS tend to forget not every LEO is a friend.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:26:16 AM EDT
[#20]
All Right, lets have it.  What did you do?  Patty
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:29:44 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd rather take advice from the ACLU than ARFCOM. I tend to doubt a group if half their answers to a major problem is 'draw down' or 'nuke from orbit'. These people looked at every problem in many states and see how it can beprevented. I say this because of reading some of the stuff off the ACLU website saved me from some speeding tickets. They have many good ways to approach a problem and how to avoid hanging yourself with the rope you are given. ARFCOMMERS tend to forget not every LEO is a friend.

Excuse me but if you're here poisting you are an "ARFCOMMER"
And if you don't consider yourself one then why not GTFO!
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:31:52 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Can someone kick this guy off ARFCOM please?

ACLU a good group? You mean the group that thinks terrorists deserve civil rights in the U.S.?
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:33:29 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Correct.

I was assuming a traffic stop.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:34:29 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Pulled over, turned off the car, left both hands on my steering wheel, didn't move. Officer asked for ID/other crap, slowily pulled it out, gave it to him, I said nothing. Then he asked do you know why I pulled you over, I said no (avoiding self crimination, but I used better language than just no), he said I was speeding, doing 45 in 35, lookedme up and down, and gave me a verbal warning, I kept the deputies badge number and car number, so wrote it down later.

Now, I was once with my father when a same situation happened identicle with this, did everything 100% different and got a $150 ticket. I'm also just some 18 year old and would usually have been nailed hard. But I kept cool and didn't say anything more than needed and got off.    
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:36:17 AM EDT
[#25]
I think Men are luckier about getting warnings then women are.  I never get a warning.  Patty
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:37:13 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pulled over, turned off the car, left both hands on my steering wheel, didn't move. Officer asked for ID/other crap, slowily pulled it out, gave it to him, I said nothing. Then he asked do you know why I pulled you over, I said no (avoiding self crimination, but I used better language than just no), he said I was speeding, doing 45 in 35, lookedme up and down, and gave me a verbal warning, I kept the deputies badge number and car number, so wrote it down later.

Now, I was once with my father when a same situation happened identicle with this, did everything 100% different and got a $150 ticket. I'm also just some 18 year old and would usually have been nailed hard. But I kept cool and didn't say anything more than needed and got off.    

Patty wasn't talking to you , she was talking to the thread author.
(I think)
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:39:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the clarity.  I was confused.  Patty
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:41:57 AM EDT
[#28]
a question in the same vein.  Am I required to carry my ID with me?

When I used to jog in the mornings I would only have my house key on me.  One day I was stopped by the popo and they asked for my drivers license and said I was required to have it with me.  I told them I was jogging, not driving and if they wanted to follow me to my house I would be glad to show them my car.   They let me go with a warning to carry my ID  .

Are we required to carry ID at all times?

Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:42:22 AM EDT
[#29]

ANd never did I EVER get hassled by the cops where I didn't deserve it.

EVER.

SGatr15

As much as i hate to admit it, that is very true.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:44:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:46:15 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I think Men are luckier about getting warnings then women are.  I never get a warning.  Patty

I probably have it worse than the women being only an 18 year old. The CS and PD are very harsh on teens around here, usually when some one my age gets pulled, they ALWAYS get a ticket. I just followed what the ACLU said and I got out of one for being cool, collected, and caution.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:46:22 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Roger Baldwin the founder of the ACLU is an admitted Communist.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:46:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:51:51 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty wasn't talking to you , she was talking to the thread author.
(I think)

I was going to say the same thing.

What else you should we really expect from someone that thinks the ACLU is a wonderful organization?
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:58:11 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Numerous people "talk" themselves into getting a traffic summons based on their attitude and what they say when the LEO never had any intention of issuing a summons in the first place.

The best example I have of this is an officer stopped a woman exiting a shopping center with her handbag on top of her car (a common occurance). He had no intention of doing anything except to tell her about her handbag.

When he exited the vehicle and approached her car she went ballistic about why she was stopped. The stupid bitch ended up with her car impounded, stuffed and cuffed and several summonses for suspended registration, expired inspection and aggravated unlicensed operation of a MV (she had a suspended license).  
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 10:08:09 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
a question in the same vein.  Am I required to carry my ID with me?

When I used to jog in the mornings I would only have my house key on me.  One day I was stopped by the popo and they asked for my drivers license and said I was required to have it with me.  I told them I was jogging, not driving and if they wanted to follow me to my house I would be glad to show them my car.   They let me go with a warning to carry my ID  .

I was told this too, when I lived in San Diego, they said it was due to a lot of illegals being there, and that if someone could not produce ID, they could be taken to the station until they had proof of who you are.  That was a warning.  Seemed a little on the 'out there' side, but I agreed.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. You're only required to have ID during certain activities.

?? What are these "certain activities" ??
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 1:07:09 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

[JBT]breathing[/JBT]
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 1:36:44 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

You're expected to show cleavage.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 1:38:45 PM EDT
[#40]
In the words of Chris Rock:

1  Obey the Law
2  Be Polite
3  Turn that S**t Off
4  Shut the F**k Up

Link Posted: 7/25/2005 1:47:23 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

SCOTUS disagrees with you...
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know that in NY if you're stopped you have 24 hours to show proof that you have a valid drivers license.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 1:55:48 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know that in NY if you're stopped you have 24 hours to show proof that you have a valid drivers license.

I know the DL has become the defacto identy paper, but you don't have to get one.  For instance, some people don't drive.  But don't lie to the popo about whether you have a DL.  

R.

ETA:  BTW, I went to that ACLU site and I feel dirty.  I'm going to go shoot some targets now to get rid of that feeling.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

ANd never did I EVER get hassled by the cops where I didn't deserve it.

EVER.

SGatr15

As much as i hate to admit it, that is very true.

+1

Still got my ticket though... but with a smile... ya know
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 2:05:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 2:10:09 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hiibel vs. Arizona

And IIRC, the ruling was that Hiibel had to show ID because of the situation.  Someone had called in that he was abusing his daughter in the truck at the time.  Also, he was drunk at the time.

He had to show it because they had probable cause and wanted to make sure he was who he was and not a rapist/kidnapper.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Obviously driving is one, hunting is another, when carrying a concealed handgun. I'm sure there are more but those are the ones off the top of my head.

How about buying beer or going to a bar...
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 2:14:16 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Obviously driving is one, hunting is another, when carrying a concealed handgun. I'm sure there are more but those are the ones off the top of my head.

The police doesnt require you to carry ID at these times.

The establishments do.

Link Posted: 7/25/2005 2:15:07 PM EDT
[#49]
The rest makes sense, but do you actually have to show ID if say, you are walking down the street ?  Does this apply to all juristictions ?  I know it applies during a traffic stop, obviously.  When I've been questioned by police, all they ever wanted was my name, age, where I was from and they pretty much left it at that.  I've never had one actually ask for ID.  Most of the time, they didn't even want my name or any info on me, just wanted to ask me if I had seen/heard anything.  I've never lied to a cop before, but I have simply given "I don't know" answers before to questions that I didn't feel comfortable answering.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 2:15:34 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The police doesnt require you to carry ID at these times.

The establishments do.

They are forced by law, which is enforced by police.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top