Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2010 2:17:44 AM EDT
I'm leaving this here because I'm not sure how many people know this and it's a great way to support the Girl Scouts and brighten the troops' day.

One of my girlfriends is a troop leader and I bought and plowed through some boxes of cookies last year.

After rousing from my sugar coma I told her this year I would pay her NOT to give me cookies. She said that I could buy cookies and they will send them to the troops overseas. WIN-WIN-WIN!!!!

So if anyone else is wanting to support the Girl Scouts without having to buy bigger pants this is a great option.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 2:46:36 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Miss_Magnum:
I'm leaving this here because I'm not sure how many people know this and it's a great way to support the Girl Scouts and brighten the troops' day.

One of my girlfriends is a troop leader and I bought and plowed through some boxes of cookies last year.

After rousing from my sugar coma I told her this year I would pay her NOT to give me cookies. She said that I could buy cookies and they will send them to the troops overseas. WIN-WIN-WIN!!!!

So if anyone else is wanting to support the Girl Scouts without having to buy bigger pants this is a great option.

Good idea, and I'm sure the troops love them, but...

Every FOB I visited while I was deployed to Afgh was simply awash in GS cookies. Soldiers weren't eating them, there were so many. It got so bad on my FOB, that I ran a humanitarian aid mission to a local Afghan community just to get rid of them. If I never see another Thin Mint, it'll be too soon.

Thanks for your support of soldiers, whatever you decide to do!

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:52:57 AM EDT
Boy, you're gonna hate me for this, but too much of the money goes to the cookie manufacturer (30% according to the Natl Organization). The local troop keeps 12%-17% of the balance, the rest goes to the national troop.

I always write a check to a friend's girl scout troop so they get 100% of my money, then go online and give the same amount to the boy scouts.

Although I DO love me some Thin Mints.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:13:10 AM EDT

That's where my cookie money went this year.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:17:14 AM EDT
I'd venture to say that any act of charity has it's drawbacks. I just focus on the positives.

Thank you for dispersing those cookies to local children. I don't know a child anywhere that doesn't light up when they get cookies.
Top Top