Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2004 1:13:15 PM EDT
What do you guys think is better, having tritium in the front sight and not in the rear ap, or tritium in both?  I'm kinda worried that having tritium in the back would mess up the shape of the ring when focusing on the target.

Digital
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 1:20:41 PM EDT
[#1]
As a designated gunsmith, I have tried both. The tritium in the rear is mainly used just so that you can easily locate the sight in the low light conditions then, because, as it's name implies, the right "ghosts" (disappears) and you don't pay attention to it when you focus in on the front site.

Please remember my assistance when hateful and slanderous accusations are leveled against me by those who contribute little to no help to others.

Peace be with you.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:57:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I can see how it'd help in low light conditions, but would the tritium in the rear have any adverse effects while shooting in daylight?  For some reason (probably because of my ARMS #40) I'm worried that having to white dots in the sides of the ring would cause it to look cut in half rather then a full ring when focused down range.

Digital
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 4:13:21 PM EDT
[#4]
They work best on mexicans when you're squatting on their wall.

If it is so dark that you can't find the rear ring that close to your face, you had better make sure that the front & rear tritium are different colors.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 4:29:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the Scattergun/Wilson sights on my 870. They are just a tritium front. I was afraid of a sight with tritium on the rear after using an A2 sight with tritium dots on the rear aperture. In that case the dots were too close to your eye and screwed with your night vision. They sort of burned in.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have the Scattergun/Wilson sights on my 870. They are just a tritium front. I was afraid of a sight with tritium on the rear after using an A2 sight with tritium dots on the rear aperture. In that case the dots were too close to your eye and screwed with your night vision. They sort of burned in.

I don't know about the wilson sights, but the brands I tried had subdued tritium dots in the ghostring.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Once in a while, he DOES give good advice.

-Troy

I always help people whenever I can, but there are those who view with utter contempt individuals that give aid to those in need, as has happened to many others before me throughout the ages.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top