Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2018 1:26:22 PM EDT
Planning on replacing this vanity. Plumbing wise all this stuff look up to code or need to replace anything else?

Link Posted: 8/15/2018 1:28:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn, how old are you OP?
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks fine. Know where the main shut off is before you start tearing it out.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 1:29:18 PM EDT
[#3]
FPNI
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
The efferdent is for the wifes retainer
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Maybe that’s why he is replacing it, since his current one is full of old people stuff.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 1:31:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I don’t understand what’s ghetto about it?

Looks perfectly fine.

That cabinet cut is the only thing that looks like shit.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 1:33:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lol, this.

And I'd seal those roach holes when you're done too.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 1:33:46 PM EDT
[#8]
flushable wipes-aren't.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 1:34:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Hows that ghetto?
This is ghetto.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 1:35:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't understand what's ghetto about it?

Looks perfectly fine.

That cabinet cut is the only thing that looks like shit.
View Quote
Op will find out his 6 drawer,550$ vanity his wife wants from lowes isnt just a drop in...
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 1:35:35 PM EDT
[#11]
That glued on trap may cause a few issues.  Other than that, it looks fine.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 1:40:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Old, but serviceable plumbing.  Repair as necessary, and leave in place until the bathroom remodel.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 1:46:22 PM EDT
[#13]
other than slapping the dude who glued the trap together it looks fine....but those angle stops are prolly gonna leak when you turn the handles...i'd go ahead and replace with 1/4 turn stops while i'm in there...
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 1:49:13 PM EDT
[#14]
When you said "Ghetto plumbing" I was thinking soda bottles as pipes.

Link Posted: 8/15/2018 1:50:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Plumbing is fine but you could update the drain with a push button type.  They seem to be more reliable.

like this

ETA:  plumbing fine as is but it will all need to be replaced if you are swapping vanities and dont want the giant hole in the back.  I would change the water valves to quarter turn, replace the lines, and add a new p trap assembly...since you have to take everything out anyway.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 1:55:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I would replace the stop valves with 1/4 turn valves, buy a new trap kit since it’s unlikely the new vanity will line up exactly with the glued trap in there, and replace the faucent water lines. Oh, and don’t cut the whole back of the cabinet out to fit around the pipes.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 1:55:53 PM EDT
[#17]
The only thing I would be worried about is the old shutoffs.  Most likely, they will not completely close and you will have a trickle of water during the swap, worst case they will break off when you try and close them.

Since the trap is glued on, you will have to either cut a larger opening in the back of the new vanity or cut the drain and replace.  If you keep the trap, might as well screw off the bottom inspection point and clean it out.

Clicked expecting this...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The only thing I would be worried about is the old shutoffs.  Most likely, they will not completely close and you will have a trickle of water during the swap, worst case they will break off when you try and close them.

Since the trap is glued on, you will have to either cut a larger opening in the back of the new vanity or cut the drain and replace.  If you keep the trap, might as well screw off the bottom inspection point and clean it out.

Clicked expecting this...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/374309/old_bath-641118.JPG
View Quote
the struggle is real.
god i hated service plumbing
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 2:02:36 PM EDT
[#19]
and now...just for shits and grins...

Link Posted: 8/15/2018 2:19:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Plumbing is fine but you could update the drain with a push button type.  They seem to be more reliable.

like this
View Quote
We had a new vanity put into our back master bedroom bath, everytime I would use the sink it would fill with water, I would have to manually lift the drain plug.

I just went in and pushed it and I will be damned!

Thanks! Learn something new today!

Link Posted: 8/15/2018 5:09:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Do I get the trap off basically by taking that nut off at the bottom of the metal standpipe?
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#22]
One of the houses we looked at in Detroit had a hole smashed through the tile in the bathroom with PEX through it going to the toilet. They had at least five adapters to connect it to the bowl.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Do I get the trap off basically by taking that nut off at the bottom of the metal standpipe?
View Quote
The trap looks like all of the plastic sections are glued together except that one nut.  If you are replacing, cut the pipe that is coming out of the wall leaving as much length as possible.

Removing the nut you are talking about, the drain shut off, and another nut directly underneath the sink will help you get the drain out.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 7:01:42 PM EDT
[#24]
as said before

Make sure the main cutoff actually cuts the water off. If you dont know how to test for this please call a plumber for any work that needs to be done

Link Posted: 8/15/2018 7:02:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Looks like the piece you want to replace (the vanity) will fix whatever is wrong with that picture.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote
Yea that fluidmaster is all fucked up.

and the handle as well
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 7:06:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
as said before

Make sure the main cutoff actually cuts the water off. If you dont know how to test for this please call a plumber for any work that needs to be done

View Quote
Dont do this.

Plumber Causes Major Flood In Apartment
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 7:13:25 PM EDT
[#28]
As a professional plumber since I was 10, that plumbing looks fine. Though my older brother would have slapped the shit out of me for fucking up the back of the cabinet like that.

As for how to replace that with new? I no longer give advice due to liability reasons.

Ed
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 7:18:41 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote
even worse is figuring out that is hot water hes fighting

I read somewhere that it wasn't possible to shut off the water
either way.... pretty stupid
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top