Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2014 10:55:31 PM EDT
I'm 31, 5'10" and 240lbs... I'm disgusting, have back paint, sleep apnea and am at risk of type II diabetes.

It's time for a change.

One thing I have learned here is that it's a wealth of knowledge and support and am looking for it.
Does anyone have experience with Atkins diet? I've done nutrisystem and it helped for a spell but on e the bought meals are gone I gain weight.
I have an Eliptical machine at home I have used once, and a gym at work and time on night shift to use it.

ETA: any suggestions for weight lifting plans for dummies?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:35:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't jump on some fad diet. Just focus on eating healthy (meats, vegetables, fruits, limited processed stuff, drink tons of water).

Check out Starting Strength or Wendler's 5/3/1 for strength training. Focus on learning good form first. It takes a lot of good repetitions to get things down, just like anything else.

Don't try to just change everything all at once. It will make it harder to stick with. Baby steps. Make both long term and short term goals.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:58:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Buy a preworkout like C4 it helps with motivation after work.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:12:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Sensible eating and exercise wins the day: eat a  high, lean protein, low fat diet. Do NOT eliminate food groups.

And MOVE your ass.

This is the only way to go.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:13:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I need to, I liked Jack3d more than C4 but they both served well in Japan.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:13:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sensible eating and exercise wins the day: eat a  high, lean protein, low fat diet. Do NOT eliminate food groups.

And MOVE your ass.

View Quote

Very true, one reason I was looking at the Atkins was it seems a good jump start into serious diet change.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:18:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I did Atkins a long time ago, it's not sustainable for me.

I'm kind of doing a primal type diet now... very simple and natural.

If you can't kill it, pick it or catch it, you don't eat it*. And I avoid grains.

More or less, you eat naturally. Avoid convenience crap, and stuff that comes out of boxes loaded with preservatives and other garbage. Make great meals, but out of raw ingredients. In other words, the way our moms cooked back in the 70's and before that.

*I am avoiding starchy foods like white potatoes to help with weight loss now too.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:52:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The FDA made them change Jack3d and take DMAA out of it. So now it doesn't work as good.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:34:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Baby steps first.
Cut the crap out: sodas candy fast food chips junk food
Drink water.
Sleep.
Excercise. Anything will work at first, learn the basic barbell lifts, fix your bad habits posture sitting standing walking, try a book called supple leopard.
You'll hear so many diet ideas and they All conflict except in one area, eat food. If you can't pronounce it, it isn't food.
I'm on a fairly high fat/protein trend with carbs to gain weight. Beef pork bison eggs sweet potatoes raw milk etc.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:40:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Funny you mention sleep, I think my sleep was absolute shit and in effective for three years of Non-diagnosed sleep apnea, I've had my APAP machine for a month and feel like a new man as far as rest goes.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:01:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

And MOVE your ass.

View Quote

No reason to go low fat. You need fat and it's satiating.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:26:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Funny you mention sleep, I think my sleep was absolute shit and in effective for three years of Non-diagnosed sleep apnea, I've had my APAP machine for a month and feel like a new man as far as rest goes.
View Quote

As extra motivation, you can eventually ditch that also if you work your ass off and lose enough weight. I went from 330lbs last summer to 255lbs as of right now. I just went in for a another sleep study and no longer have sleep apnea. I still snore a little though, so they said since I have a CPAP, I could keep using it at night if I felt like it. Happy wife happy life . Make sure you find an exercise you like. I started taking kickboxing at a local dojo, and I love it. Also don't get discouraged if you hit a plateau. I've hit one for the last month or so, so I am making some changes to my diet and adding 2 nights of jujitsu to my 4-5 times a week kickboxing classes.  

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:55:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I was about the same place as you when I started.  5'9" 225# and miserable.

My first change was diet.  All of the crap food got tossed and not re bought.  Three meals a day, nothing terribly special, just cut out the crap food around the house so I wasn't snacking on the stuff.  I got to a point I felt it was sustainable and made the next change.

Couch to 5k was my next step.  Nothing required other than good shoes and a little time.

After that I moved through various workouts until I found Stronglifts and ran that for several months.  Live intervened, but I am back on it now.  The key is finding something you enjoy and will keep doing.  It might be barbell stuff (Starting Strength, Stronglifts), crossfit, or something else.  It has to be something that becomes like brushing your teeth though.

Set goals, short, medium, and long term.  Achieve one and go from there.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:23:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And MOVE your ass.

I thought most knowledgeable, health-conscious people had realized long ago the "low-fat" prescription was bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:04:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Very true, one reason I was looking at the Atkins was it seems a good jump start into serious diet change.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And MOVE your ass.

Atkins is fine, if you do it correctly.  It is however, a complete change in your eating habits, and absolutely does NOT ALLOW cheating.  If you're the type who diets and is going to cheat and eat a bunch of cookies once a week, or drink a couple bottles of soda.. Atkins is not for you because you will essentially have to start over each time you do that.  Just because you're on Atkins, doesn't mean you eat 12 eggs and a 1lb of bacon for breakfast every morning (I actually heard this once).

The nice things about it:
1.  Your energy will likely shoot through the roof after induction
2.  No need to starve yourself (restrict calories).  If you're hungry, eat.  Just watch your carb intake.

The bad thing about it?  Induction sucks.  Induction is 2 weeks.  Most of the folks I talk to, the worst part of it is probably days 4-7.  Once you're through that, you'll probably find this way of eating easy.

Go to the Library or Amazon and get one of the books available... read it, and understand the diet.  Most of folks problems with Atkins is they do not understand it.

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Atkins-New-Diet-Revolution/dp/006001203X/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398185841&sr=1-4&keywords=atkins
http://www.amazon.com/New-Atkins-You-Ultimate-Shedding/dp/1439190275/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398185841&sr=1-2&keywords=atkins

Some folks swear by the original (by Robert Atkins himself), others, swear by the New Atkins, New You book.  I've read both and the core concepts are the same, but I think New Atkins, New You is a better read for someone new to this way of eating.  I think it's focus on what to do after induction, is better than the original Atkins book.  Naturally, if you have a lot of weight to lose, you can stay in induction longer... but the key is to move move through the diet, so that you undergo a complete diet change, and it doesn't just become a "fad".
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:20:39 AM EDT
[#15]
My opinion.   Worth what you paid for it but I have been there and done that both personally and for others.

Your first and biggest priority is to get some weight off.  This will help greatly with your sleep apnea and the pre-diabetic symptoms.   Weight loss is about diet.  You cannot out-exercise a bad diet.    You need to fix your diet.   You're not super obese yet, but you are overweight, you recognize that and that's half the battle.   If you try to do one thing, you have about a 80% chance of success.  (diet)  if you try to do two things, your chance of success at either falls to like 50% overall and if you try to do 3 things at once, the chance is pretty much zero.    Fix your diet first.  

I have never met anyone who hasn't lost weight one some form of cutting out carbs  I've met a lot of people who can't stick to it because of the constant bombarding of carbs in modern society but nobody who has failed to lose weight.   Any form of lowering your carb intake from Keto (which is relatively extreme) to "no sugar no grains'  (which isn't, although it sounds like it) to paleo, to Atkins, to whatever will make a dramatic difference in how full you are.  And if you are full, you aren't eating because you are satiated.   Of course it's hard (esp initially), if carbs weren't addictive, nobody would have trouble quitting.   But it's worth it.   You'll feel better, feel full and the weight will just fall off.  

If you really want to exercise, go for a walk occasionally.  Fix your diet.  

here's a current thread here on arfcom about Keto:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_113/1590394_Keto_Dieters___c_mere_.html   somewhere, there's a HUGE thread about paleo/primal diet and there are tons of resources on the web about all types of low carb style diets.   reddit.com has really active both paleo and keto groups with great FAQ's.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:24:28 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And MOVE your ass.

Low fat is not no fat...meaning, don't eat a pound a bacon in one sitting...eat 3 slices instead.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:26:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Low fat is not no fat...meaning, don't eat a pound a bacon in one sitting...eat 3 slices instead.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And MOVE your ass.

Ok, most people would say no bacon at all on low fat, but I see where you're coming from. I think most people have an unfounded fear of fat when our bodies REQUIRE it. IMO and IME lowish carb yields great results and is easier to maintain.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:38:01 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Ok, most people would say no bacon at all on low fat, but I see where you're coming from. I think most people have an unfounded fear of fat when our bodies REQUIRE it. IMO and IME lowish carb yields great results and is easier to maintain.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And MOVE your ass.

I ain't most people....

That said, I am not fond of overly limiting diets, period: they're near impossible to maintain. Everything in moderation (sugar, fat, proteins and carbs---all of it) and you're more likely to succeed. Takes longer, but there's no rebound.

Carbs have been declared the enemy for so long, people limit them and then fail at effective weight training or other forms of anaerobic exercise. DUH...gotta fuel up....just make it smart: brown rice, not white. High grain/protein breads, not white. Chicken and greens over a burger and bun----or a burger and greens....just make better choices.

And have a cheat day...also within reason. Keep the body guessing.

This approach kept me at a size 4/6 for nearly 20 years (and after 2 kids).

I am only now in trouble with my weight due to illness which required steroid use.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:12:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I ain't most people....  

That said, I am not fond of overly limiting diets, period: they're near impossible to maintain. Everything in moderation (sugar, fat, proteins and carbs---all of it) and you're more likely to succeed. Takes longer, but there's no rebound.

Carbs have been declared the enemy for so long, people limit them and then fail at effective weight training or other forms of anaerobic exercise. DUH...gotta fuel up....just make it smart: brown rice, not white. High grain/protein breads, not white. Chicken and greens over a burger and bun----or a burger and greens....just make better choices.

I am only now in trouble with my weight due to illness which required steroid use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And MOVE your ass.

I ain't most people....  

Some people do see carbs as the enemy, but the fact is most people get WAY too many carbs. The recommended amount is laughable. I've trained HARD on around 100g of carbs a day...even athletes (not counting endurance athletes) don't need as much as they've been lead to believe.

As far as sustainability, lowish carb isn't that hard to stay on. I mean really, is eating eggs, steak and veggies that terrible? Most people find it to be fairly easy.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:59:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I think you have a lot of solid advice in which to work with from posters above.  The only thing I really want to remind you is that when it comes to weight/fat loss, calories truly are king.  Burn more calories than you take in and you will lose weight.

Doesn't mean you have to kill yourself trying to count every calorie or even that you need to starve yourself.  All it means is to keep your focus on it so mistakes aren't made, because many people are blind to their portion sizes and calorie intake.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:06:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Thankyou everyone for the input.

As far as cutting carbs, what were some of the most common foods you were eating that were loaded with carbs... Particularly ones you didn't realize had so much?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:12:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

As far as cutting carbs, what were some of the most common foods you were eating that were loaded with carbs... Particularly ones you didn't realize had so much?
View Quote

Most people would be pretty well served by cutting bread, pasta, sweets, and sugared drinks.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:23:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

don't eat sugar, don't eat grains, probably 80% of the carbs will fall out.   (grains include wheat, corn, etc)

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:27:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Most people would be pretty well served by cutting bread, pasta, sweets, and sugared drinks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This + look at things like sauces, salad dressing, condiments.  Lots of hidden calories/carbs/salt etc.  

Start reading the labels of the food you are buying.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:33:58 PM EDT
[#25]
I still view carbs as the enemy.

I can't justify the consumption of them...

But I'm weak and I like the occasional pizza.
OP:

Don't listen to anyone who says "Cheat Day".  

Until you're in the mid teens bodyfat... it should ALWAYS be cheat MEAL... never "DAY".

No cheats the first few weeks... Earn them.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:51:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I still view carbs as the enemy.

I can't justify the consumption of them...

But I'm weak and I like the occasional pizza.
View Quote

Agree, 100%
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:04:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the input and encouragement.

I need to start reading up and find a list of carbs for myself, both the obvious and not so much.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:06:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input and encouragement.

I need to start reading up and find a list of carbs for myself, both the obvious and not so much.
View Quote

It's simple. Eat as much greens as you want, one piece of fruit or a handful of berries a day and call it good.

If you're working out a lot, you could have some sweet potatoes.

ETA- then once you get to your desired BF% you can up them a little.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:21:54 PM EDT
[#29]
I definitely need more greens in my life. I'll be up to my eyeballs in sweet peas and Green beans come early summer if my garden does well.

Corn and potatoes are something I can easily cut since I eat them all the damn time, that and rice
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:42:30 PM EDT
[#30]
View this as a Marathon and not a 5k, for lack of a better analogy. I have been on the pathway to better health for 5 years now. Find physical activities you like- hiking, biking, running, swimming... something. Move a lot, plan activities and vacations where you are active. Find sources of motivation.

I kind of lost my weight in chunks. Lose 20 lbs, gain 5 back. Lose 15 lbs, gain 5 back. Etc. Not the best way to go but a slower weight loss has been proven to be more sustainable.

AFA healthy diets go, I do like the philosophy behind the South Beach Diet, although you don't really need to buy the book or any of their crappy "South Beach" food. It's mainly eating healthy vegetables and staying away from bad carbs.  White flour is the worst.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:39:56 PM EDT
[#31]
So far I've cut the carbs way back and same with calories and sweets. I'm feeling pretty good but need to kick it up in the exercise department.

I still have yet to step on a scale which I am going to do tomorrow. The hardest part is getting into a routine.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:21:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Was in your boat several years ago. 6' 245lbs. Started running and cut calories to 1500+/- every day. Ate whatever I wanted (mostly fresh food, but also a lot of frozen meals, ready to eat stuff). Got to 177 and and I hover in the mid 180's. I found running to be a pretty good source of stress release and also a reason to stay on the "diet".  Hated the idea of running 5 miles only to blow those efforts on a bag of cookies/chips/etc. I tried the adkins years ago, but it wasnt for me. LIke everyone else said, drink water instead of soda, etc. What helped me the most to stay on track was log every single item I ate every day, as well as my weight. I kept a little spiral book as well as an excel spread. This will help you see the correlation between diet and weight loss/gain.  Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top