Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2011 8:35:46 PM EST
Great movie! Rented it from Redbox pretty much because there was someone standing all up on me while I was trying to rent one and nothing else jumped out at me and I wanted to get out of there.

If you're in the mood for something without explosions (although there is fire), car chases or camera angles that give you seizures, I recommend it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:37:29 PM EST
How about a brief summary?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:38:28 PM EST
It was filmed here where I live. The house they used for the funeral home belongs to a friend of mine. I haven't seen it yet but it's supposed to be on On Demand this month.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:39:29 PM EST
Sorry.

I'll say that the summary doesn't do it justice. Husband was expecting to hate it based off the description.

Robert Duvall is a hermit and the town's *boogeyman* but he wants to tell his story before he dies.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:40:18 PM EST
Originally Posted By GAcop:
It was filmed here where I live. The house they used for the funeral home belongs to a friend of mine. I haven't seen it yet but it's supposed to be on On Demand this month.

Oh, that's neat! I'm pretty sure my husband is ready to pack up and move to that cabin.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:15:47 AM EST
Oh, and it has the kid from SlingBlade all growed up. He still talks the same but grew into a very nice-looking guy!
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:19:00 AM EST
Sounds like a movie I'd enjoy. Thanks for the heads-up.

I know what you mean about somebody standing on you, breating down your neck at Redbox. That guy shops around here too.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:26:17 AM EST
Originally Posted By VBC:

I know what you mean about somebody standing on you, breating down your neck at Redbox. That guy shops around here too.

That might be me. Are you the guy who has to return 4 movies and then look through every screen and read every description of every movie before making your selection?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:39:16 AM EST
I watched it a couple of weeks ago. It was very entertaining.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:44:26 AM EST
Originally Posted By JA_Magnum:

That might be me. Are you the guy who has to return 4 movies and then look through every screen and read every description of every movie before making your selection?

No, I play the role of the neck-breather when when that guy or gal is in front of me.

I'm talking about the instant neck breather. The one who is on you as soon as you touch the screen.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:44:42 AM EST
I've always liked Bob Duvall but as he's aged,he's become even more awesome. He is absolutely amazing in this role.

Amazingly,since Bill Murray decided to stop trying to be funny,he's become a pretty good actor too.

I just watched it from Netflix a few days ago. The theatre where I live never gets 80% of what's released so I had never even heard of the movie but I saw a preview for it when watching Lebanon ( kind of Das Boot inside an Israeli tank but without personable characters other than the paratroop major) last week and added it to the queue for a good surprise.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:46:04 AM EST

Let me know what you think when you watch it! And this was actually a young couple. If I'm waiting for someone to finish their business I stand WAY off to the side. Close enough to not let someone cut in front of me but far enough where the person using it doesn't feel rushed.

And it goes both ways too––––––my husband was behind a lady the other day who had already rented 2 movies and would click on the description for every movie and read it out loud to herself while underlining each sentence with her finger. She kept saying, "Just one more movie. I'm just trying to find one more." I think he finally left and went down the road to another one.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:47:08 AM EST
Originally Posted By Bill247:
I watched it a couple of weeks ago. It was very entertaining.

Yeah, it was one of those odd *kind-of-slow-but-keeps-your-attention* movies. They don't make those very often.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:49:12 AM EST
Originally Posted By outofbattery:
I've always liked Bob Duvall but as he's aged,he's become even more awesome. He is absolutely amazing in this role.

Amazingly,since Bill Murray decided to stop trying to be funny,he's become a pretty good actor too.

I just watched it from Netflix a few days ago. The theatre where I live never gets 80% of what's released so I had never even heard of the movie but I saw a preview for it when watching Lebanon ( kind of Das Boot inside an Israeli tank but without personable characters other than the paratroop major) last week and added it to the queue for a good surprise.

I thought that too. His character kept me guessing the entire time. Couldn't tell if he was a sleazeball or not.

I figured with the cast it couldn't be too bad but I was a little nervous that it would suck since I hadn't heard of it either. Once the previews started and I realized I wanted to watch all of those movies, I relaxed. You can usually tell the quality of a movie by which previews they show.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:06:32 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/14/2011 11:10:19 AM EST by PlaneJane]
I saw it in the theater a couple of months ago. It's a perfect vehicle for a starring role by a character actor like Robert Duvall - not a chick flick, but not a action thriller either. I liked it, but A) I'm a big Duvall fan, and 2) I'm a sucker for stories about enduring love fucked by fate.

Jane

ETA: Just for reference: I liked The English Patient and thought The Notebook sucked.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:08:53 AM EST
Originally Posted By PlaneJane:
I saw it in the theater a couple of months ago. It's a perfect vehicle for a starring role by a character actor like Robert Duvall - not a chick flick, but not a action thriller either. I liked it, but A) I'm a big Duvall fan, and 2) I'm a sucker for stories about enduring love fucked by fate.

Jane

Top Top