Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/11/2018 11:46:30 AM EDT
Summary of Grassley/Cruz Gun Substitute Increases resources and tools for prosecuting criminals (Gun prosecutions have declined under President Obama and current proposed legislation does not address this issue)

Resources:

National Project Exile Expansion. Provides $15 million per year for 3 years for more Assistant U.S. Attorneys and Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms agents. Applies to fifteen jurisdictions with highest violent crime rates and three tribal jurisdictions with highest rates.

Cruz Task Force
. Task Force and $10 million per year for 5 years to prosecute felons and fugitives who try to get guns. Created task force and proposes funding of $10 million per year for five years to prosecute felons and fugitives who fail National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS)  funded through the Asset Forfeiture Fund.

Tools:

Criminalizes straw purchasing. In targeted, responsible way that doesn't sweep in innocent conduct.

Criminalizes trafficking. In a responsible way that doesn't turn minor gun offenses into arms trafficking offenses.

Increases resources for school safety (President Obama's budget cut school safety funding)

o Secure Our Schools grants. Provides $30 million per year for 10 years under Title III funds.

Addresses mental health.

o Increases resources for mental health. Reauthorizes Mentally Ill Offender Treatment and Crime Reduction Act. This provides $40 million per year for five years for mental health courts, crisis intervention teams, veteran treatment courts, police academy curricula, and transitional services in prison. Allows Byrne and COPS grants to be used for mental health purposes.

o Gives states incentives to provide mental health records to NICS federal database.
Reauthorizes NICS Improvement Amendments Act grants at $20 million per year for 5 years, so states can implement systems to report these records. Increases Byrne grant penalties for states' failure to provide mental health records.

o Clarifies which records must be submitted NICS. Codifies Obama executive order requiring the Attorney General to issue guidance to federal agencies. Requires federal court information to be made available to NICS.

o Fixes the definition of adjudicated mentally incompetent so single doctors can't infringe on 2nd Amendment rights.

Includes pro-gun provisions.

o Allows interstate firearm sales.

o Allows military members to buy guns in state of residence or where stationed.

o Allows firearms dealers to access NICS to do background checks on employees (with notice and their consent).

o Allows interstate transportation of firearms if certain conditions are met (e.g., in vehicle, unloaded, locked or in trunk), and preempts state law to the contrary. Increases executive branch accountability.

o Federal agencies must submit a report to Congress on how many records they submit to NICS.

o Attorney General must report to Congress on gun prosecutions.

o Top official at DOJ must personally approve any Fast and Furious programs (selling guns to criminals).

o Clarifies that ATF can't collect information on purchases of certain rifles in southwest border states.

o Requires report to Congress regarding ammunition purchases by federal agencies. Initiates a study by National Institute of Justice and National Academy of Sciences to solve mass shootings.

Let your legislators know that you urge them to pass this instead of Cornyn's 'Fix NICS' bill!!

Use this handy dandy tool!

Alphajaguars composed this cut and paste letter to use:

As a constituent, I am writing to express my strong opposition to the 'Fix NICS' bill as it is a 'trojan horse' gun control bill.
Instead I STRONGLY urge you to support and pass the 'Grassley-Cruz' bill.

Additionally, you need to pass H.R. 1181, The Veterans Second Amendment Protection Act.

This is urgently important if you believe veterans shouldn't have their 2nd amendment rights denied without due process.

I look forward to your response and will consider your votes on these important issues the next time I vote at the polls.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Hit
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 11:50:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hit
View Quote
Atta boy!
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 11:50:57 AM EDT
[#3]
In before someone calls this gun control....
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Tag for after church.  We certainly need His help!
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 11:53:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Got a better idea. Stop spending my money and fix the budget first.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 11:53:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Any bill that isn’t the reversal of a previous gun control law is just more gun control.
FDJT
FTC
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 11:53:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Hit!
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Looks like a good bill instead of that horrible ‘Fix NICS’ bill. Hit to my reps...
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 11:54:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Hit & Bump
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 11:55:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Any bill that isn't the reversal of a previous gun control law is just more gun control.
FDJT
FTC
View Quote
I knew it was coming, just a matter of time.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 11:57:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Hit
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Hit.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 11:57:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Any bill that isn’t the reversal of a previous gun control law is just more gun control.
FDJT
FTC
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FDJT
FTC
A reversal will never happen. Ever.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 11:58:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I knew it was coming, just a matter of time.
View Quote
Do you trust the Federal Government to make the distinction between a straw purchase and not?
I don’t.

You knew someone would say it because you know I’m right.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Any bill that isn't the reversal of a previous gun control law is just more gun control.
FDJT
FTC
View Quote
Know how we can tell you didn't read the summary?

Too much trouble to read something that would preserve your rights.

Am I right?
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 11:59:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Why would I want expansion of BATFE?

ETA: Allows Fast and Furious type operations as long as there’s super duper approval?
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 11:59:41 AM EDT
[#17]
What type of mental health record are they talking of being reported to NICS?!
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 11:59:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Will not change shit.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Done thank you
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Hit
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:01:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
One that isn't the opinion of one single Doctor. Read the bill.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:02:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
So you support background checks, strengthening background checks, adding mental health to background checks, and requiring/forcing states to give up information and provide it to the federal government?
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:03:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Am I right?
View Quote
I stopped reading at the straw man bullshit.

And more money for more federal agents.

I don’t want more Fed.gov spending just so an active duty soldier can buy a gun in a state that he/she is stationed in. Make that a separate bill that stands on its own.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:03:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Do you trust the Federal Government to make the distinction between a straw purchase and not?
I don't.

You knew someone would say it because you know I'm right.
View Quote
You apparently didn't grasp even what the summary outlines, let alone what is in the actual bill.

Seems you missed the 'Criminalizes straw purchasing. In targeted, responsible way that doesn't sweep in innocent conduct.' part.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:04:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I don’t want more Fed.gov spending just so an active duty soldier can buy a gun in a state that he/she is stationed in. Make that a separate bill that stands on its own.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Am I right?

Soldiers can already buy guns in the state they're stationed in. So can non military people who simply own two homes. It even explains it on the 4473.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I read the summary.... and there is a while bunch of "so what?" in there.   More laws that do nothing.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:06:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You apparently didn't grasp even what the summary outlines, let alone what is in the actual bill.

Seems you missed the 'Criminalizes straw purchasing. In targeted, responsible way that doesn't sweep in innocent conduct.' part.
View Quote
Straw purchasing is already criminalized unless I’m mistaken.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:07:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If a bill doesn’t make a 100% move back to “...shall not be infringed.” it’s more gun control.
You could argue, but you’d be wrong.

Just FYI, I enjoy the shit out of your posts and I don’t have anything bad to say about you. But I will disagree with you until the end of time on this.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:08:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Got a better idea. Stop spending my money and fix the budget first.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:08:49 PM EDT
[#30]
I've contacted my reps a zillion times using that NRA-ILA link.............and told them no new gun control.............none ever reply back, but I will keep hammering them
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:08:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Soldiers can already buy guns in the state they're stationed in. So can non military people who simply own two homes. It even explains it on the 4473.
View Quote
Then why is that posted in this bill as “Pro-Gun Legislation”?
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Shooter revealed gory fantasies to his therapists years before the Parkland massacre

By Carol Marbin Miller And Kyra Gurney

March 09, 2018 07:24 PM

Updated March 10, 2018 09:14 AM

Nearly four years before school shooter Nikolas Cruz gunned down 17 students and educators at a Parkland high school, he confided in a therapist that he saw himself in a dream drenched in human blood.

A May 3, 2014, notation in a Broward County schools psychiatric file said Cruz “reported [a dream] last week of him killing people and covered in blood. He smiled and told the therapist that sometimes he says things for shock value.”

After Cruz’s disclosure to his therapist at the alternative Cross Creek School, administrators developed a “safety plan” to ensure the welfare of Cruz and others while the teen was on summer vacation. The plan included provisions for removing “all sharp objects from the home” and encouraging the youth to “verbalize what the problem is.”

If talking about “the problem” was seen as a solution to Cruz’s volatile behavior — and, in the short term, it may have been — it did not last. Portions of his psychiatric file, obtained by the Miami Herald on Friday, show a young man whose mental health exhibited frequent and extreme swings. His attitude would brighten for weeks at a time, then descend again into paranoia and anger.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article204450699.html#storylink=cpy
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:09:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

A reversal will never happen. Ever.
View Quote
Ever?  You people should listen to yourselves sometime.  

As the above map demonstrates, gun control laws get repealed all the time.  The reason people are wetting their pants now over raising the age of gun purchase and banning a device that didn't exist 5 years ago is because gun ownership has been on a tear over the past 25 years and we haven't had to face the realistic prospect of a gun ban.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:09:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Straw purchasing is already criminalized unless I'm mistaken.
View Quote
Yeah, and there are a number of instances in which you can be prosecuted for stupid shit. This fixes those instances.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:10:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Done
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:11:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Got a letter back from Ed Berger

"To this point legislation has not yet come to the Senate floor. I will watch for it and consider your concerns."

Of course, I did a block email to all my reps, both state and federal. Berger is a state senator for the Hutch district, and a huge RINO.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Why would I want expansion of BATFE?

ETA: Allows Fast and Furious type operations as long as there’s super duper approval?
View Quote
It makes it so that another Eric Holder cannot have plausible deniability.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:12:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
The one where a judge commits you.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:12:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Ever?  You people should listen to yourselves sometime.  

http://i64.tinypic.com/2n1zvh4.gif

As the above map demonstrates, gun control laws get repealed all the time.  The reason people are wetting their pants now over raising the age of gun purchase and banning a device that didn't exist 5 years ago is because gun ownership has been on a tear over the past 25 years and we haven't had to face the realistic prospect of a gun ban.
View Quote
No, sir. The reason people are wetting their pants is the impending 'Fix NICS' bill which will allow confiscation of guns without due process.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:13:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Yeah, and there are a number of instances in which you can be prosecuted for stupid shit. This fixes those instances.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
With all due respect.  That summary is shit then, and needs to be fucking adjusted.   Rather than saying "criminalizes so and so"  which implies new restrictions.   why not say "adjusts blah blah to prevent overzealous assholes from prosecuting you for x y and z"

That entire list is full of gay and aids and makes most of the points look useless at best, and bad for us at worst.

ETA:  like this
Top official at DOJ must personally approve any Fast and Furious programs (selling guns to criminals).
so now the gov can explicitly sell to criminals?
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:14:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Criminalizes straw purchasing. In targeted, responsible way that doesn't sweep in innocent conduct.

Straw purchasing is already illegal, do they even prosecute for it.

[b] Allows interstate transportation of firearms if certain conditions are met (e.g., in vehicle, unloaded, locked or in trunk), and preempts state law to the contrary. Increases executive branch accountability.  

Interesting because so many in the GD said the great conservative Reagan gave us this back in 86, and it was more important than his banning of machineguns.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:14:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Isn't the Grassley/Cruz Bill from 2013?

Yep.

http://www.weapon-blog.com/2013/04/grassleycruz-gun-substitute/

Is it being re-introduced in 2018?
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
With all due respect.  That summary is shit then, and needs to be fucking adjusted.   Rather than saying "criminalizes so and so"  which implies new restrictions.   why not say "adjusts blah blah to prevent overzealous assholes from prosecuting you for x y and z"

That entire list is full of gay and aids and makes most of the points look useless at best, and bad for us at worst.
View Quote
Read the Bill itself to clarify your concerns about the summary.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Almost all the pro gun things are legal and happening already....
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:15:45 PM EDT
[#45]
I'd love to read this bill.

What's its number?
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:17:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

So you support background checks, strengthening background checks, adding mental health to background checks, and requiring/forcing states to give up information and provide it to the federal government?
View Quote
Yes, I do.  Because I don't want violent convicted felons, certifiable crazy people, or illegal alien gang members owning or possessing guns.

If you agree, then how else do you propose doing that without some type of background check on gun purchasers?

Here's a Rorschach test for you:  Should Nikolas Cruz have been allowed to own guns?

If you answer yes, then don't condemn the police, schools, and mental counselors for looking the other way the dozens of times they dealt with him; in your world, they wouldn't have had the authority to prevent him from owning guns in the first place.

If you answer no, then pray tell how would you have ensured he didn't get his hands on an AR?  Asked him nicely to give them up until he's feeling better?
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Isn't the Grassley/Cruz Bill from 2013.

Yep.

http://www.weapon-blog.com/2013/04/grassleycruz-gun-substitute/

Is it being re-introduced in 2018?
View Quote
There is motion in that direction. It addresses the majority of the issues in Cornyn's monstrosity, but does it in less anti constitutional ways.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:18:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

What's its number?
View Quote
Well it will be like going back in time five years.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:18:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

What's its number?
View Quote
Link to bill...scroll down past summary.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:18:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Done!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top