Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2010 12:48:40 PM EDT
I was watching one of those "How it’s made" last night on the science channel. Pretty cool show showing the machining, grinding etc that goes into making a specific Gerber (assisted opening or auto opening knife don’t know which). It had a tanto like blade. Anyway at the end of the program, the narrator said that the blade is so sharp and strong that the knife is restricted by law to military or LEO. Anyone know the knife? Plus is there actually a knife that is restricted? I don't buy it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm almost positive that "How It's Made" is made by a Canadian studio, so what might be legal here, might be illegal in Canada.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Gerber does make a few autos. That would be the only reason why. Consequently those are the only Gerbers that look nice enough to own IMO.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#3]
LOLz

Link Posted: 3/26/2010 12:52:47 PM EDT
[#4]
You can buy one, Gerber is just covering their ass. There was a thread here a long time ago about a member getting pissed about the same thing on their site and a website designer for Gerber was a member here and he changed it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was watching one of those "How it’s made" last night on the science channel. Pretty cool show showing the machining, grinding etc that goes into making a specific Gerber (assisted opening or auto opening knife don’t know which). It had a tanto like blade. Anyway at the end of the program, the narrator said that the blade is so sharp and strong that the knife is restricted by law to military or LEO. Anyone know the knife? Plus is there actually a knife that is restricted? I don't buy it.

The red part is bull shit. It's restricted because it is spring loaded and a "switch blade". There is ways a civilion can buy them legaly.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 12:57:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 12:59:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I carry a Benchmade AutoStryker 9100SBK every day.

Not sure whether automatics are legal in Canada though.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I found it. Prolly should have Googled it first. This is the knife I saw on How It's Made.
http://www.tactical-life.com/online/tactical-knives/military-approved-gerber-autos/

The thing has a Federal National Stock Number (NSN) - Plus it's an auto opener. That's were they got the "Restricted" part from. Good thing autos are legal here in Texas. :)
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 1:17:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I found it. Prolly should have Googled it first. This is the knife I saw on How It's Made.

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/tactical-knives/military-approved-gerber-autos/

The thing has a Federal National Stock Number (NSN) - Plus it's an auto opener. That's were they got the "Restricted" part from. Good thing autos are legal here in Texas. :)

I was under the impression that autos were illegal in Texas, but that it was seldom enforced. Have they finally changed the law to make it officially legal, or am I just stupid? (both?)

Link Posted: 3/26/2010 1:19:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Spyderco made a "Military Only" knife (folder)  - just to do something special for military members.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 1:23:21 PM EDT
[#11]
There was a guy selling them for $100 ea on Craigslist not too long ago. See em online now and again for $125-$150.  

Link Posted: 3/26/2010 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#12]
A few years ago they did a joint effort auto with Emerson called the Alliance. Both companies on their own make great products, but the overwhelming numbers of reviews for this knife say it sucked.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 1:27:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Guess I got lucky.  On my last tour Benchmade and Gerber donated us some pretty sweet gear.  I got a Gerber DET multi-tool with the C4 punch and crimp.  Got a sweet auto knife from Benchmade as well that I still carry to this day.

Both are great companies in my book.  

Link Posted: 3/26/2010 1:53:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It was my understanding that they were legal to own, but illegal to carry here.

ETA:  From Texas PC Ch. 46.01

Sec. 46.01. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:
(1) "Club" means an instrument that is specially designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by striking a person with the instrument, and includes but is not limited to the following:
(A) blackjack;
(B) nightstick;
(C) mace;
(D) tomahawk.
(2) "Explosive weapon" means any explosive or incendiary bomb, grenade, rocket, or mine, that is designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious bodily injury, death, or substantial property damage, or for the principal purpose of causing such a loud report as to cause undue public alarm or terror, and includes a device designed, made, or adapted for delivery or shooting an explosive weapon.
(3) "Firearm" means any device designed, made, or adapted to expel a projectile through a barrel by using the energy generated by an explosion or burning substance or any device readily convertible to that use. Firearm does not include antique or curio firearms that were manufactured prior to 1899 and that may have, as an integral part, a folding knife blade or other characteristics of weapons made illegal by this chapter.
(4) "Firearm silencer" means any device designed, made, or adapted to muffle the report of a firearm.
(5) "Handgun" means any firearm that is designed, made, or adapted to be fired with one hand.
(6) "Illegal knife" means a:
(A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
(B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;
(C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stilletto, and poniard;
(D) bowie knife;
(E) sword; or
(F) spear.
(7) "Knife" means any bladed hand instrument that is capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person with the instrument.
(11) "Switchblade knife" means any knife that has a blade that folds, closes, or retracts into the handle or sheath, and that:
    (A) opens automatically by pressure applied to a button or other device located on the handle; or
    (B) opens or releases a blade from the handle or sheath by the force of gravity or by the application of centrifugal force.

Now, from PC 46.05:

Sec. 46.05. PROHIBITED WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells:
(1) an explosive weapon;
(2) a machine gun;
(3) a short-barrel firearm;
(4) a firearm silencer;
(5) a switchblade knife;
(6) knuckles;
(7) armor-piercing ammunition;
(8) a chemical dispensing device; or
(9) a zip gun.
(b) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the actor's conduct was incidental to the performance of official duty by the armed forces or national guard, a governmental law enforcement agency, or a correctional facility.
(c) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the actor's possession was pursuant to registration pursuant to the National Firearms Act, as amended.
(d) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this section that the actor's conduct:
(1) was incidental to dealing with a switchblade knife, springblade knife, or short-barrel firearm solely as an antique or curio; or
(2) was incidental to dealing with armor-piercing ammunition solely for the purpose of making the ammunition available to an organization, agency, or institution listed in Subsection (b).
(e) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree unless it is committed under Subsection (a)(5) or (a)(6), in which event, it is a Class A misdemeanor.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a 3" Gerber knife on my belt right now. In fact it's my daily carry knife.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 2:16:29 PM EDT
[#16]

(6) "Illegal knife" means a:
(A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;

That describes almost every knife in my kitchen. Are you saying those are illegal? If so, how can Dillards sell them?
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#17]
the AO6

love it! had one in iraq thing is built like a tank. a sharp tank
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 2:21:11 PM EDT
[#18]
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Gerber+06+

I dont know if theyre illegal here in PA or not, but I see they have a FAST version as well which Im pretty sure is legal everywhere.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 2:23:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Guess I got lucky.  On my last tour Benchmade and Gerber donated us some pretty sweet gear.  I got a Gerber DET multi-tool with the C4 punch and crimp.  Got a sweet auto knife from Benchmade as well that I still carry to this day.

I got the the DET and i love it

Link Posted: 3/26/2010 2:30:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Gerber+06+

I dont know if theyre illegal here in PA or not, but I see they have a FAST version as well which Im pretty sure is legal everywhere.

I have just become a curio collector.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 2:38:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have just become a curio collector.

People laugh but I get most all my knives off Amazon, I usually find they have the best prices.

Link Posted: 3/26/2010 5:41:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz110/ryansaur/Accuwedge/IMG_3951-1.jpg

Not at all. Both Benchmade and Gerber make great knives, with Benchmade having an especially well earned reputation for great auto knives. My reference was to the one auto specifically done as a joint venture between Emerson and Gerber called the Alliance. Great looking knife, but sure didn't get many accolades considering which companies were responsible for it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top