Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2014 3:06:27 PM EDT
I was given the opportunity to take a few online classes at Georgetown and accepted. I am currently taking a terrorism course and was faced with a female from somewhere that made the argument that Nelson Mandela was not a terrorist and was put in jail by the minority white government and never bombed anyone or killed anyone. ( her words)   I answered back and told her about the bombing that originally put him in prison, the church street bombings, the ANC, necklacing and other little tidbits. Am I going to get kicked out of school?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:09:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Her opinion of how Nelson Mandela came to be in prison doesn't make her a liberal, any more than yours would make you a conservative.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:10:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I have only had one openly liberal instructor my whole time in college (that actually made it a point to spew his shit during class.)  I just kept my head down and mouth shut.  Just remember, they control your grade.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:10:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:14:00 PM EDT
[#4]
My cousin went their and majored in Russian studies on a ROTC scholarship.  By the time he was done he suddenly became a conscientious objector and has two proud bisexual children that he blasts on facebook.  Form your own opinion.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:21:56 PM EDT
[#5]
The original question from the instructor was about the definition of terrorism. The OP stated that even though Mandela was considered a terrorist he did great things. She fired back that he was no terrorist and was a victim of the oppressive white majority government. I simply pointed to known facts.  I did it in a professional manner and was respectful.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:23:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Why did even bother with the ????.

May as well said, " Georgetown University is a liberal institution."

Which would have been more correct.

gd

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:26:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:33:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have only had one openly liberal instructor my whole time in college (that actually made it a point to spew his shit during class.)  I just kept my head down and mouth shut.  Just remember, they control your grade.
View Quote

Pussy

I had a econ professor who was a raging liberal back in Fall of 2000. So every class was no lecture, just Gore this, Bush sucks that. I trolled his ass whenever I could. I would intentionally ask questions about things that would make him look like an ass in front of the class. I asked about locked boxes, the internet, etc.

It was a Tues/Thurs class so I went to the local GOP HQ and bought a crap ton of Bush/Cheney buttons for Election Day. I passed them out before class and probably 75% of the kids wore them. He was stewing as he looked around the class. He asked where everyone got them and since no one said anything I told him, "I passed them out. I've really learned a lot from you about economic policy and it has convinced that Gore will be really bad for the economy. Thanks."

I got a D in the class and had to repeat it
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:33:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Eh, you're there to receive a little piece of paper and verifiable source that you received it so that employers will want to hire you at some point.  If you're there for any other reason you're wasting your time. Universities and colleges are not going to make you more enlightened or increase your intelligence these days.  Learn what they teach, spit it out on their exams and papers, and nod your head when they spew their liberal nonsense. Arguing with liberals at a university or college is tantamount to spitting in the wind my friend.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:35:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Op... What tipped you off?

"Georgetown University is a liberal institution?"
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I took a speech class in a community college and had to listen to some fat white woman moan about how poor innocent trayvon being murdered was such a tragedy. I said nothing. It was a gun free zone and it was a long walk through the parking lot. When surrounded by hostiles who will go into a frenzied state if provoked just say nothing.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:39:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, fuck those universities.  Between universities and "scientists" it's no wonder America is where it is.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:39:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I took a speech class in a community college and had to listen to some fat white woman moan about how poor innocent trayvon being murdered was such a tragedy. I said nothing. It was a gun free zone and it was a long walk through the parking lot. When surrounded by hostiles who will go into a frenzied state if provoked just say nothing.
View Quote

Did you bend her over a desk and assert your dominance?  Followed of course with peeing all over the lectern and attendance records?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:51:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Georgetown is an especially liberal institution.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:53:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Easy way to tell: if it has "University" or "College" in the name, there's a 99.5 percent chance it's liberal.`
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:54:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah, fuck those universities.  Between universities and "scientists" it's no wonder America is where it is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Word to that. Those "scientists", right... Political science and Liberal science majors, amirite?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was given the opportunity to take a few online classes at Georgetown and accepted. I am currently taking a terrorism course and was faced with a female from somewhere that made the argument that Nelson Mandela was not a terrorist and was put in jail by the minority white government and never bombed anyone or killed anyone. ( her words)   I answered back and told her about the bombing that originally put him in prison, the church street bombings, the ANC, necklacing and other little tidbits. Am I going to get kicked out of school?
View Quote

I have two Georgetown degrees - one from SFS and I got my JD there too.  I guess it leans liberal but I wouldn't describe it as particularly so and certainly not compared to other universities.  I was pretty pissed at how they treated Paul Wolfowitz when he taught there (long after my time as a student) but generally, it all depends on what particular group you hang out with and it varies quite a bit by school and major.  

I'm curious, who is teaching the terrorism course?  

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:56:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:57:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:59:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Periodically some traditionalist Catholic in a position of authority has to threaten them with revocation of their 'Catholic' status.

Personally, I think they should stop threatening and just get on with it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very true.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:11:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ironically, what passes for 'Liberal Arts' education now is almost the complete opposite of what it was originally.

This identity obsessed nonsense they teach now would have the old Scholastics who founded the Western university system spinning in their graves
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:36:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have two Georgetown degrees - one from SFS and I got my JD there too.  I guess it leans liberal but I wouldn't describe it as particularly so and certainly not compared to other universities.  I was pretty pissed at how they treated Paul Wolfowitz when he taught there (long after my time as a student) but generally, it all depends on what particular group you hang out with and it varies quite a bit by school and major.  

This particular lecture is Prof. Byman.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:46:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Liberals in academia? Thats crazy talk!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:00:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

And you know this because??????
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:26:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, so to answer your original question, I don't know this particular professor as he wasn't there when I was there.  However, he teaches in the security studies program in the School of Foreign Service, which is the particular subfield in which I got my undergrad degree.  It has the reputation of being more right leaning than some of the other majors.  We called it "bombs and bullets" because of the subject matter and because many of the full time students are prior service or ROTC.  Most classes I was in that were within that curriculum had a healthy ideological balance.  We had a very high proportion of people I would describe as belonging to the realist school of international relations thought.  Of course, that is just on average.  Bill Clinton also has a BSFS in IPOL security studies.  

I don't know this particular professor but from his biography I'd guess he's probably a moderate liberal personally.  He's a former Brookings fellow, and Brookings is a liberal-leaning think tank.  In my experience though, Brookings fellows are very smart and rarely intolerant of other points of view as long as you can express them clearly and rationally.  But that is just my experience generally, I don't know this particular professor.

But anyway, college is too expensive to cower in the corner.  Make your arguments calmly, logically and backed with evidence and I am sure you will do fine.  You'll also hopefully have fun at the same time.  

Oh, and Hoya Saxa.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top