Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2006 7:19:23 AM EDT
Could someone please describe what a general knowledge test may be like for FF applicants? I just took the written test in Bloomington, IN and they had us buy a book, study it for over a month, and then take a written exam based on what we had studied.  For Indy, we will show up in the morning, study the provided materials, and then take a test in the afternoon after lunch. What is this test like? How do I prepare for it? I wish that I could attend a tutor session but traveling from Oregon to Indy is not easy and I only have enough vacation time left to show up for the actual test date.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:51:02 PM EDT
[#1]
General knowledge tests are far from standardized. Luckily, they are based somewhat on basic mechanical knowledge and physics, and therefore can't be as skewed as those stupid "field inspection" cards we had to memorize. Some tests were based on a testing company's idea of firefighting rather than real world tactics - things like qualifications in questions stipulating a 1" rubber line for interior attack.

Take the time to follow how the gears turn in the diagram.

A solid brace on a gate goes from the upper swinging corner to the lower hinge side.
A rope or cable on a gate goes from the upper hinge to the lower swinging corner.

Pre-screen your map - mark any "obstructions" and delineate one-ways. (yes, in the real world one way goes away when the lights are on, but for testing purposes...)

Make sure you get a good night's sleep, eat a light breakfast (make sure you get enough coffee), and bring extra pencils and scratch paper. Some FD's may have their own paper for you to use. Ask for some in advance.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:05:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Tango,

Thanks for the advice. I have taken MANY different tests during my academic years culminating with the awarding of my M.S. and I was not really sure what to expect for this particular type of test administered by FD.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:03:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
General knowledge tests are far from standardized. Luckily, they are based somewhat on basic mechanical knowledge and physics, and therefore can't be as skewed as those stupid "field inspection" cards we had to memorize. Some tests were based on a testing company's idea of firefighting rather than real world tactics - things like qualifications in questions stipulating a 1" rubber line for interior attack.

Take the time to follow how the gears turn in the diagram.

A solid brace on a gate goes from the upper swinging corner to the lower hinge side.
A rope or cable on a gate goes from the upper hinge to the lower swinging corner.

Pre-screen your map - mark any "obstructions" and delineate one-ways. (yes, in the real world one way goes away when the lights are on, but for testing purposes...)

Make sure you get a good night's sleep, eat a light breakfast (make sure you get enough coffee), and bring extra pencils and scratch paper. Some FD's may have their own paper for you to use. Ask for some in advance.

Good luck.

i only tested for a couple depts.  After studying the IFSTA book, brushing up on algebra, and then applying a heavy dose of common sense to the tests, i faired pretty well.  

take your time, think through the problems.  I'm guessing they want to locate candidates w/ problem solving abilities.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top