Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2004 7:13:22 PM EDT
So much for the 'plastic fantastic'.  Since the XM8 is just an enhanced G36 (and of course the SL8 is the neutered civvie version), I assume the materials are the same.  I wonder if this problem could occur in the XM-8.

SL8 receiver cracks

More cracks

This one is funny.

How to fix

Just send the troops out with a field repair kit including a little JB Weld or superglue.  Hell, and I thought Todd was the only person that could butcher HKs.  Apparently HK can botch the job too.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:44:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I guess everyone is tired of hearing about the XM-8.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:50:30 AM EDT
[#2]
i dont like them cause they look gay.

Why dont they just convert the M4's and 16's.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:58:43 AM EDT
[#3]
So much for that H&K quality & mystique.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:02:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Nobody believed me when I said that HK recievers can crack.

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:03:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:04:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Um, I'm so glad I don't have to drill holes in my AR to stop the spread of cracks.

Why is it that when this is posted on an HK board, these guys don't all say "Wow, why do we own such pieces of shit??" Noooo they say "Wow, that is an awesome solutions! HK IS TEH AWSESOME!"
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:06:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Well I just talked with a guy that does the testing for the XM-8 and other things.

It didnt make the budget so it is "squat hold" on the XM-8.

I think it will be a while before the Army gets the M-8. Nothing in writing of course, just my gut feeling.

FREE
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:20:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Who cares?
HK has left civillian shooters out in the cold, except for their overpriced handguns.
Now that HK has a huge plant in GA do you think they'll make firearms for civillians? Probably not.
The XM8 project should be dropped like a sack of shit for Germany's lack of support in the war on terror.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:25:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1

"HK: In a World of Compromise, Some Gun Makers Just Have Better Marketing Departments."

SG
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 12:20:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I cannot comment on the XM-8's as I have zero experience with these arms (items). I can comment from experience on the UMP (composite materials), these are not cracked (no pun intended) up to be what one would perceive HK would put forth for a finished product. I have seen more upper rail inserts dislodge from the receiver(s) than I care to recall.
I have wondered what extreme cold would do to these arms if they were actually in use. I shall know in a few months as it is upon my schedule to test such.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:08:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The XM8 project should be dropped like a sack of shit for Germany's lack of support in the war on terror.

+1,000,000
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:18:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1,000,000

'If the product was superior, this would be cutting off ones nose spite their face, grow up.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:24:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:25:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:26:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:30:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:39:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:22:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I would not try to compare the SL8 to the XM8...

Yeah, the SL8 is based on the G36 and the XM8 is based on the G36, but the Transitive Property just does not apply here.  

SL8 stock is one piece while the XM8 is 3 (upper, lower, stock) and it is much stronger than the SL8 and even G36.  So I highly doubt the XM8 will experience the same problems as the SL8.  Plus, that is only a couple of SL8's out of thousands.  I have one and have not experience the slightest problem with it.  

Plus, for all you pro M16 ers and Anti XM8 ers, I've a lot of pictures of M16 foregrips cracking and breaking and being fixed with duct tape.  Nothing is without problem.  

Also, the Army has said nothing about any cracking receivers in the XM8.  Beleive me, if they have the slighest problem with one, we'd know about it.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:35:16 PM EDT
[#20]

I've a lot of pictures of M16 foregrips cracking and breaking and being fixed with duct tape

A cracked foregrip is not the same thing as a cracked reciever.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:14:52 AM EDT
[#22]
But then how many SL-8 owners do you think go over their rifle with a fine tooth comb to find cracks? Could be many more than just have not been found. And this is with a civvie rifle that does not see teh vigors of combat!

S.O.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:39:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Seems to me that the XM8 is a soluton for a problem that doesnt exist. A boondoggle.

IMHO we need to move away from brass, powder, lead guns. We have the technology to make something cool, but then again if we do make a "phased power rifle"- it could fall into enemy hands...not good. I guess its all about politics and risk management vice putting the best weapon system into use. I mean why use the best when average works just fine?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:40:00 AM EDT
[#24]
So, we are assuming.

We are assuming that the SL8 is identical in construction and materials to the XM8. Maybe it's not.

We're assuming that the army will adopt it without putting it through any real tests. Maybe they won't.

We're assuming that in these tests it will prove to be so accurate, dependable and affordable as to warrant replacement of the M16/M4. Maybe it won't.

We're making an ass out of u and me.

So far, no contract. So far, no real reports on the gun. So far, we don't know shit but we sure like to think we do.

And stuff that AK74 nonsense, puleaze. We are nation of riflemen, and the AK platform is not the arm of riflemen, thank you.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:10:32 AM EDT
[#25]
swingset,

I'm assuming you're correct.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:03:19 AM EDT
[#26]
We melted two G36 during a training session a couple of months ago.  The instructor had the guys shoot several magazines with tracers non-stop.  It melted where the receiver meets the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:22:23 AM EDT
[#27]
I've never been a fan of plastic guns. I buy plastic guns for the kids. My Uncle and Father both have pistols well older then both of them put together, and the pistols are METAL, and they WORK. Thats why I'm not a fan of some of the HK guns, and I'm not a fan of the Glock guns.
Yes, modern plastics are very strong, but in a gun I want metal. Period.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:27:08 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I guess everyone is tired of hearing about the XM-8.

I know I am!

Somebody had better call Mattel Toy Company and tell them to use better PLASTIC!!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:29:06 AM EDT
[#29]

Who cares?

Yep!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:31:12 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1,000,000

'If the product was superior, this would be cutting off ones nose spite their face, grow up.

IF the product was superior.  Huge IF.

The only thing superior about the XM8 is the better integration of the sights.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:33:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:34:25 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
We have the technology to make something cool........

I think it was Robert McNamara that said that same thing......right before he got thousands of young USGI's killed with a weapon that was not field tested or developed.

But what the hell.......it's COOL.......right?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:52:57 AM EDT
[#33]
My take on these polymer HKs is that the UN has an agenda of disarmament and firearms have just been too damn durable.  Steel and aluminum have a way of hanging around after the wars are over.  So their answer is to make disposable guns that have a distinct service life, after which, they more or less degrade (biodegrade? hmmm.) to a point where they are unusable.  Problem solved from the "we want all the weapons and you should have none" crowd.  

You can see this mindset at work in the landmine debate--they want landmines designed so after a few years they don't work anymore.  That is a great idea, but only if the weapons can be ensured to work at some point.  Military equipment has to be able to sustain all kinds of unexpected extremes and improvizations.  

One would expect polymer rifles to be durable, similar to the Glocks handguns.  But honestly, nobody really knows the long term durability of this technology.  I bought a McMillan gun case in the mid 1980s (think Pelican if you don't know what I'm talking about).  The case lasted well until around 2000, when it developed a stress crack that worked its way through one of the hinges.  This was probably due to it wearing out from use.  Fine, but the aluminum gun cases I have are still going strong.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:58:42 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:23:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
My take on these polymer HKs is that the UN has an agenda of disarmament and firearms have just been too damn durable.  Steel and aluminum have a way of hanging around after the wars are over.  So their answer is to make disposable guns that have a distinct service life, after which, they more or less degrade (biodegrade? hmmm.) to a point where they are unusable.  Problem solved from the "we want all the weapons and you should have none" crowd.  

Dude, seriously.  Lay off the drugs...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:04:35 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

"HK: In a World of Compromise, Some Gun Makers Just Have Better Marketing Departments."

SG

What How dare you .

HK is the Roxxors.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:11:33 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
And stuff that AK74 nonsense, puleaze. We are nation of riflemen, and the AK platform is not the arm of riflemen, thank you.

any old time you want to bring your m4gery w/optic of your choice to the tusco rifle club (midvale, ohio) i'll be damn glad to shoot against you with my ak74.

i'll show you a rifleman, sir.

Them sound like fighting words
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:14:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Also, the prob with the sl8 has been fixed, so I dought the xm8 will have the same problem. And none of the plastic guns I have fired melted, I have had a gun with a wood forearm catch fire, that was nice. Than put it back in the case after about 30 minutes, to say the least the barrel had melted the case pretty good.

And I don't own an sl8 but would be proud to own one.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:06:33 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

SG

What How dare you .

HK is the Roxxors.

Is it just me or are the bullets in the mag backwards? If they aren't that's a hell of an optical illusion!

S.O.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:20:07 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

SG

What How dare you .

HK is the Roxxors.
tinypic.com/chybs

Is it just me or are the bullets in the mag backwards? If they aren't that's a hell of an optical illusion!

S.O.

I was wondering how long it would take for that picture to show up...seems to be required viewing in many HK bash sessions...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:25:30 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

SG

What How dare you .

HK is the Roxxors.
tinypic.com/chybs

S.O.

I was wondering how long it would take for that picture to show up...seems to be required viewing in many HK bash sessions...

ya gotta admit it is a pic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top