Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2003 2:15:16 PM EDT
I've seen a lot of talk about "Gaydar" lately. I understand that it is some kind of homosexual detection device but I'm not clear on how it works. Is there such a thing as Pulse Gaydar? Doppler Gaydar? Who first developed Gaydar? Who first used it. Who are the primary suppliers of Gaydar technology? Did those of you who use Gaydar learn to use it in the military? Is Gaydar effective under water? Can stealth technology defeat Gaydar? How about chaff? Can chaff defeat some types of Gaydar?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:25:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:32:53 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a real term for the sense homosexuals have of identifying each other.

But some company ACTUALLY made devices, the size of beepers (and I think they called them Gaydar, too) that gays carry around with them.  When the devices get close to each other, they start signalling the carrier that another Gaydar carrier is nearby.

I heard this on NPR, I'm not making it up.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:48:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Those devices are not just so that gay people can find other gay people. Or they weren't when first created.  They've had them in Japan for a few years and you configure them for what you're looking for.  I.e. "Man seeking woman for casual sex" or "Woman seeking man for freindship".  It vibrates if you get close to somebody with matching settings.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#4]
There was even software for the Palm handheld that you would point at someone and touch the screen.  It would then make a bunch of beeping and whooping sounds and make some gay comment.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:55:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

But some company ACTUALLY made devices, the size of beepers (and I think they called them Gaydar, too) that gays carry around with them.  When the devices get close to each other, they start signalling the carrier that another Gaydar carrier is nearby.

I heard this on NPR, I'm not making it up.
View Quote

Dude I don't know were your at but round here gaydar is like the force, it tells us str8 guys that something ain't right.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#6]
shhhhhh, the military is on to you [:O]

[img]http://people.clemson.edu/~andersh/pics/Forum%20Pics/gayness.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:20:34 PM EDT
[#7]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=12328[/img]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:28:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Got mine set up for Homo's and French people.

Cause I think that's where the whole gay thing started.

ED
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:45:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've seen a lot of talk about "Gaydar" lately. I understand that it is some kind of homosexual detection device but I'm not clear on how it works. Is there such a thing as Pulse Gaydar? Doppler Gaydar? Who first developed Gaydar? Who first used it. Who are the primary suppliers of Gaydar technology? Did those of you who use Gaydar learn to use it in the military? Is Gaydar effective under water? Can stealth technology defeat Gaydar? How about chaff? Can chaff defeat some types of Gaydar?
View Quote

Well, to answer your questions:

a) There's no such thing as "Pulse" or "Doppler" Gaydar.  In fact, most types of Gaydar are completely passive, and are triggered by emissions from an approaching LITLO (Light In The Loafers Object).  The active types of Gaydar are easily identified by the shouts of "Whatareya, some kinda homo?" that are let off whenever a possible LITLO is detected.

b)  Gaydar was first developed by the Canadian military and later copied by the Marines.  The Canadians initially worked on the technology under contract for NATO, because several NATO members were concerned with the possibility of serving with French troops.  The U.S. Marines were the first to actually use the technology as an early warning device for the Marines aboard U.S. Navy vessels.

c)  Currently, the primary supplier of Gaydar is Raytheon.  

d) While most Gaydar training takes place in the military, Gaydar training cutbacks during the Clinton administration led to an increased role for the private sector.  Currently, training is found at NASCAR and WWF events, as well as at many college fraternities and high school football programs.  Ill-advised attempts were also made to institute Gaydar training at ice skating competitions, LPGA tour events, and Women's Tennis events.

e)  Gaydar is not effective under water, but this has only proven to be a problem in the limited circumstance of a SCUBA-equipped LITLO.  Chaff has in some cases been reported to confuse even the best passive Gaydar; LITLO's that are able to dispense ethnic slurs, references to SportsCenter, and coherent arguments on the 9mm v. .45 debate often avoid detection.  

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:01:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Which leads us to the inevitable question of "Should straight people be allowed to use Gaydar?", especially since the limp wrist, earring and raped beagle are digitally woven into it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Currently, training is found at NASCAR and WWF events,
View Quote

Isn't that the Sisdar/Kindar varient?

ED
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#12]
[b]triggered by emissions[/b]

Is that one of them there double entrendes they use in fancy wordsmithin?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:12:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Currently, training is found at NASCAR and WWF events,
View Quote

Isn't that the Sisdar/Kindar varient?

ED
View Quote

Very similar.  All types are supposed to signal the user that the approaching object is not to be taken to bed.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:15:08 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Not quite right.  Hetrosexuals also use this skill to know who to avoid.  Mine is finely tuned, and as far as I know, I've never made a wrong call.z
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:36:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:00:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which leads us to the inevitable question of "Should straight people be allowed to use Gaydar?", especially since the limp wrist, earring and raped beagle are digitally woven into it.
View Quote

Only if it comes in marpat [:D]
View Quote

Will EdSR. ban you about this Marpat thing? IBTL!  

just kidding.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:35:38 PM EDT
[#17]
A female friend of mine says she has a finely developed sense of "gaydar", but admits it doesn't always work - she broke up with her former fiance when he admitted he was bisexual.

Fortunately, she's now happily married to a non-LITLO [:D]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 12:51:35 AM EDT
[#18]
I swear that GAYDAR shit is as funny as it comes.  Thanks for the hoot.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 12:55:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm going to change my name to

IYAAYWOT462

If you ain't ammo you're waiting on them![;)]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 1:26:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

a) There's no such thing as "Pulse" or "Doppler" Gaydar.  In fact, most types of Gaydar are completely passive, and are triggered by emissions from an approaching LITLO (Light In The Loafers Object).  The active types of Gaydar are easily identified by the shouts of "Whatareya, some kinda homo?" that are let off whenever a possible LITLO is detected.
View Quote

I can't believe there's a thread with "gaydar" & "emissions"  in the same post!
[NI]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:42:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I can't believe there's a thread with "gaydar" & "emissions"  in the same post!
[NI]
View Quote

[beavis]huh, huh, he said emission.[/beavis]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 11:34:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm going to change my name to

IYAAYWOT462

If you ain't ammo you're waiting on them![;)]
View Quote

Roger that doorgunner.....we're on the same page.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top