Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/17/2006 7:55:43 AM EDT
Say what? Hire somebody because they are gay? Whatever happened to hiring people because they are the best qualified? Hiring people because of their sexual practices? What's up with that?

Oh, that's right-I forgot-Newton, the most liberal town in the bluest state.

Gay principals soon take helm at both Newton high schools
By Matt Viser, Globe Staff  |  February 16, 2006

JENNIFER PRICE
Newton North principal

BRIAN SALZER
Newton South principal

The new principals at both of Newton's high schools are young, energetic, and eager to start meeting people in their schools.

Brian Salzer, 38, who will be the principal at Newton South High School, comes from Sauk Prairie, a small Wisconsin school district near the state capital of Madison, and was the first openly gay principal in Wisconsin.

Jennifer Price, 34, is a doctoral student at Harvard's Graduate School of Education who lives in Newton with her spouse and their two young children. She takes over at Newton North High School in July.

''In the end it's about our leadership and what we do in the schools," Price said yesterday of the dual appointments.

Nathan Bonneau, a spokesman for the Massachusetts Secondary School Administrators' Association, said he wasn't aware of any other openly gay principals in the Bay State, but could not say definitively whether Salzer and Price are the first.

Many parents said yesterday that the sexual orientation of the principals is not important.

''I don't want to comment on their orientation because it doesn't matter at all," said Mark Wadness, co-president of the Parent Teacher Student Organization at Newton North. ''I think it has no bearing or problem within the Newton community."

But Brian Camenker, a Newton parent and director of a Waltham-based organization that is fighting same-sex marriage, disagreed.

''This is such a blatant, in-your-face move," said Camenker, whose son attends Newton North. ''Nobody else in Massachusetts would do this. Nobody else in the country would do this."

Superintendent Jeffrey M. Young said that Salzer and Price were hired because they were ''the two best principals."

''People should judge them on the way they do their job," he said. ''I am thrilled that they'll be joining our staff."

Salzer said he has always been open about his sexuality, and at Sauk Prairie High School he helped start a Gay/Straight Alliance organization.

''As a coach and a teacher and an administrator, it's not been an issue," he said.

Salzer and his partner of 11 years, Carlos Schillaci, are coming to Newton next week to look for a home. The couple registered in Wisconsin as domestic partners in 1999, but hope to be legally married once they move to Massachusetts.

''Boy, having that is certainly a draw," Salzer said. ''To be treated with the respect of any other family is really important to me."

Matt Viser can be reached at [email protected].

Thereisnogayagenda
Thereisnogayagenda
Thereisnogayagenda
Thereisnogayagenda
Thereisnogayagenda
Thereisnogayagenda
Thereisnogayagenda
Thereisnogayagenda
Thereisnogayagenda
Thereisnogayagenda
Thereisnogayagenda
Thereisnogayagenda

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:00:20 AM EDT
[#1]

The new principals at both of Newton's high schools are young, energetic, and eager to start meeting people in their schools.

I'll bet they are.

''In the end it's about our leadership and what we do in the schools," Price said yesterday of the dual appointments.

Yes, it sure is.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:03:02 AM EDT
[#2]
One of my aunts is a recently retired Newton school teacher.

Think I'll ask her what she thinks of it..  

It speaks volumes, that people will fall over themselves to say that "their orientation has no bearing".  How much lower can this society go, than to condone perversion?  Perhaps twenty years from now, it will be cool to be a traitor.

If this society keeps thinking in terms of "equality" instead of "right and wrong", we are doomed.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:06:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey, come on, they're just like everyone else......
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:13:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Ah yes, because gay men and women running a high school is our biggest concern in the world of public school education...

It's all the same.  Who cares?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:15:19 AM EDT
[#5]
And we would care about the sexual orientation of these people why?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:18:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

My thoughts exactly.

Who gives a shit?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:23:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Being gay isn't a crime (anymore) so who cares? Also there really is no 'gay agenda' there is however a liberal one.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:23:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My thoughts exactly.

Who gives a shit?

Given the fact that it merited an article in the newspaper, I'm inclined to think somebody thinks it's a big deal.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:25:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
One of my aunts is a recently retired Newton school teacher.

Think I'll ask her what she thinks of it..  

It speaks volumes, that people will fall over themselves to say that "their orientation has no bearing".  How much lower can this society go, than to condone perversion?  Perhaps twenty years from now, it will be cool to be a traitor.

If this society keeps thinking in terms of "equality" instead of "right and wrong", we are doomed.

You don't think it is already???
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:27:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I'll bet they are.

Yes, it sure is.

Curse you WG for putting the exact comments I was going to.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:31:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I grew up in the town right next door (Needham). Newton is as liberal as its gets, but it is also a very nice town (very pretty houses, lots of good places to eat, great library).

Oh, by the way- my town's state rep was a lesbian (married to another woman with kids) who was a tireless campaigner for gun control. I was not a big fan.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:34:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Sure, it itches some folk.  We just witnessed it.

Is it really all that crucial?  Are gay people holding your family hostage?  Gay people kill your daddy when you were young?  Gay people shot Bambi?

I don't know, don't mind me.  I'm having a bad day.  That and I really just don't care what gay people do.  They aren't taking over the States or anything.  Even if they were, in the end, we will all be better for it.  We'll have really nicely decorated homes and will be sharply dressed at all times!

I wouldn't worry about having a weaker military either.  Have you ever seen gay drama?  We will fuck everyone up.

"Ugh... genocide is so last year" *nuke*
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:45:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Where does it say they hired them because they're gay?  How do you know they weren't the best qualified of all the candidates?

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:50:13 AM EDT
[#14]
If they were chosen because they were gay, and not because they were the best qualified for the job, I'd lay odds that someone who was more qualified that didn't get the job is heading for a lawyer right now.

If they're the most qualified, so be it.  

If they were chosen primarily because they were gay, then I hope all hell breaks loose, and someone loses their job for pushing an agenda.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:51:08 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

You're kidding right?

Because most likely they will push the "it's great to be gay/bi/transexual agenda on the kids.  That's why.

Think they won't do that? . . .

CMOS
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:54:57 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm so glad I don't live in Massachusetts.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:23:26 AM EDT
[#17]

Salzer said he has always been open about his sexuality, and at Sauk Prairie High School he helped start a Gay/Straight Alliance organization.

No agenda, eh?

That one sentence blows that    theory out of the water.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:02:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Where does it say they hired them because they're gay?  How do you know they weren't the best qualified of all the candidates?

You don't know MA very well. The Boston Glob is the house organ for whatever liberal cause, incl. gun control, wants to make its press releases known and printed verbatim. And Newton is Moonbat Central.

Why would they mention that both Newton's HS principals are gay, when, acc. to the liberal canon, it's "no big deal"? Why not mention they're also fly fishermen or yoga enthusiasts? If it's part of somebody's private life, and it's "no big deal", well, then why mention it at all? Why make a big deal out of it?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:08:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't know MA very well. The Boston Glob is the house organ for whatever liberal cause, incl. gun control, wants to make its press releases known and printed verbatim. And Newton is Moonbat Central.

Why would they mention that both Newton's HS principals are gay, when, acc. to the liberal canon, it's "no big deal"? Why not mention they're also fly fishermen or yoga enthusiasts? If it's part of somebody's private life, and it's "no big deal", well, then why mention it at all? Why make a big deal out of it?

BINGO!

If being gay is no big deal in this situation why the newspaper article?

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:18:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because someone will make a "big deal" out of it........Brian Camenker for one would scream to the high heavens that the school board was "sneaking the homosexaul agenda" into the schools if it wasn't made public.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:24:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Bah. The Northeast US is going to hell in a handbasket with all the Libtards, Fudgepackers and do-gooder gun-grabbers. I'd be surprised if they don't eventually self-destruct. Maine is about the only decent state left up there.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because someone will make a "big deal" out of it........Brian Camenker for one would scream to the high heavens that the school board was "sneaking the homosexaul agenda" into the schools if it wasn't made public.

But the fact that it made the newspaper and was not ignored (and it seems both sides are making a stink) means somebody thinks it's important.

Not much is said about their qualifications but a lot is made of their orientation.

Who cares if they are gay principals?

What about reading, writing and arithmetic?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:31:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A no-win situation for either side. Camenker has his rights, as do gay people. Maybe "don't ask, don't tell" isn't such a bad idea after all. Frankly, it shouldn't even be mentioned in school, nor should religion, politics, etc., areas in which teachers are looked up to by default as role models before children can form their own beliefs and judge for themselves.

There's a time and a place for everything, and I think this is a parents' area, not that of a school, to inform children about.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But the fact that it made the newspaper and was not ignored (and it seems both sides are making a stink) means somebody thinks it's important.

Not much is said about their qualifications but a lot is made of their orientation.

Who cares if they are gay principals?

What about reading, writing and arithmetic?

It's the media......who wants to read about a teacher's qualifications?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:36:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A no-win situation for either side. Camenker has his rights, as do gay people. Maybe "don't ask, don't tell" isn't such a bad idea after all. Frankly, it shouldn't even be mentioned in school, nor should religion, politics, etc., areas in which teachers are looked up to by default as role models before children can form their own beliefs and judge for themselves.

There's a time and a place for everything, and I think this is a parents' area, not that of a school, to inform children about.

True....but that's the world we live in. But all things concreted it's best to be up front in this case....personally I think both principals are nuts for taking the jobs in the first place.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Bah. The Northeast US is going to hell in a handbasket with all the Libtards, Fudgepackers and do-gooder gun-grabbers. I'd be surprised if they don't eventually self-destruct. Maine is about the only decent state left up there.

that state and NH and VT, from what I hear.

But seriously, what does it matter?  Nothing wrong, I repeat, NOTHING WRONG, with having a gay principal in the school.  

People need to quit treating gay and lesbian people like they're from another planet.  It's sickening to see some of the blatant homophobia sometimes in this world. Gay and Lesiban individuals are people like the rest of us, and they need to be respected.  

FWIW I am straight.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:03:39 PM EDT
[#27]
As for me, I'm not homophobic. I'm not scared of them, I just don't like them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:12:53 PM EDT
[#28]
"Fucking Faggots!!"

The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you are already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function, without mercy, without compassion, without remorse.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:23:21 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But seriously, what does it matter?  Nothing wrong, I repeat, NOTHING WRONG, with having a gay principal in the school.  

People need to quit treating gay and lesbian people like they're from another planet.  It's sickening to see some of the blatant homophobia sometimes in this world. Gay and Lesiban individuals are people like the rest of us, and they need to be respected.  

FWIW I am straight.

But Deej, some of us DO have strong opinions against it and it is based on how we were raised and where our beliefs stem from.   I would not/will not ever approve of "blessing" someone based on what you and others tell me is "fine".
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:32:18 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FWIW I am straight.

But Deej, some of us DO have strong opinions against it and it is based on how we were raised and where our beliefs stem from.   I would not/will not ever approve of "blessing" someone based on what you and others tell me is "fine".

I never told you to.  You can believe whatever you want to believe and that's fine.  However, I personally detest gay bashing.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:42:11 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Your opinion. Not mine.

People need to quit treating gay and lesbian people like they're from another planet.  It's sickening to see some of the blatant homophobia sometimes in this world. Gay and Lesiban individuals are people like the rest of us, and they need to be respected

Don't agree. Someone that sodomizes others of the same sex gets no respect from me.
Ever seen a surgeon remove a dildo stuck in a man's colon? I have. It's not a pretty sight.
You want me to respect that filth? That would be laughable if it wasn't so depraved and disgusting.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:46:59 PM EDT
[#32]
who cares.

ETA: If you don't like who they hired, there are private schools a plenty out there for ya.

Irrational fears. "gotta watch them gays, they're catchy"

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your opinion. Not mine.

People need to quit treating gay and lesbian people like they're from another planet.  It's sickening to see some of the blatant homophobia sometimes in this world. Gay and Lesiban individuals are people like the rest of us, and they need to be respected

Don't agree. Someone that sodomizes others of the same sex gets no respect from me.
Ever seen a surgeon remove a dildo stuck in a man's colon? I have. It's not a pretty sight.
You want me to respect that filth? That would be laughable if it wasn't so depraved and disgusting.

What does it matter what two people do in their own bedroom at night? It doesn't. Enjoy your own opinions but at least have respect for others.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:51:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
who cares.

ETA: If you don't like who they hired, there are private schools a plenty out there for ya.

Seriously.  Who cares?  They have private schools.  Or there's homeschooling.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:56:13 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your opinion. Not mine.

What does it matter what two people do in their own bedroom at night? It doesn't. Enjoy your own opinions but at least have respect for others.  

It is not about what the individuals do in their own spare time.  It is the forcing upon the rest of the world that this is a "Normal" and "acceptable" behavior.  I suppose all mentally ill people should stop being treated and we could just declare them "normal" and not worry about it.  Schizophrenic school teachers and pricipals for everyone!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:57:01 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
who cares.

what's worse is some of the gay bashers are the first to say. " We fight to protect those who cannot protect themselves",  it would be a mantra.  of course under their shirt it would say,
"except you."
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:58:11 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your opinion. Not mine.

It is not about what the individuals do in their own spare time.  It is the forcing upon the rest of the world that this is a "Normal" and "acceptable" behavior.  I suppose all mentally ill people should stop being treated and we could just declare them "normal" and not worry about it.  Schizophrenic school teachers and pricipals for everyone!

as I said deej86,  Irrational fear
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:08:56 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your opinion. Not mine.

What's so hard about accepting people that happen to do "different" things and have alternative lifestyles? Why can't we just fucking accept diversity for once?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:17:53 PM EDT
[#39]
I could give a shit if they are gay, sexual preference has little or nothing to do with the job of school principle.  

That is unless someone is trying to push an agenda.  And the two best candidates happening to be openly gay? That is a pretty strong statistical glitch.  That screams agenda to me, sorta like the top three candidates for Attorney General being women.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:20:39 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I could give a shit if they are gay, sexual preference has little or nothing to do with the job of school principle.  

That is unless someone is trying to push an agenda.  And the two best candidates happening to be openly gay? That is a pretty strong statistical glitch.  That screams agenda to me, sorta like the top three candidates for Attorney General being women.

No offense but how does three women candidates for Attorney General scream agenda to you?  Three women who most likely are qualified to do their jobs wish to hold office.  And your problem is what?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:28:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Hey you can have them. We don't want them back .
There are a lot more gays around liberalville madison you can have as well. I will even pay shipping.

Maybe if we ship all the liberal gays out to you we can finaly get a decent CCW law passed.

P.S. the conservative gays can stay tho.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:30:03 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
There are a lot more gays around liberalville madison you can have as well. I will even pay shipping.

Maybe if we ship all the liberal gays out to you we can finaly get a decent CCW law passed.

Yeah you can send the libs to IL too. I hope to get out someday.  But not all gays=libs.  Remember there are gay/lesbian posters on this board. Kacer and StonerStudent come to mind.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:33:57 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah you can send the libs to IL too. I hope to get out someday.  But not all gays=libs.  Remember there are gay/lesbian posters on this board. Kacer and StonerStudent come to mind.

reading is a wonderful thing
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:34:48 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No offense but how does three women candidates for Attorney General scream agenda to you?  Three women who most likely are qualified to do their jobs wish to hold office.  And your problem is what?

I'm saying that if three women are succesively nominated for the job of attorney general (Clinton) that it's because Clinton wanted to have a female attorney general, not the best attorney general possible.  The likelyhood of the top two candidates for principle being openly homosexual is probably even a stronger statistical glitch (I don't know about the population of the hiring pool) and suggests that the school board wanted to have two openly gay principles.

I happen to work for a lesbian school principle and I think she does a great job so you might want to shut your yap acting like anyone who thinks there is something wrong here isn't "accepting of diversity."  I have no personal issue with the best person getting a job... gay, black, jewish, or with blue spots, but if people are hired because they represent a particular group that is seriously wrong.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:36:18 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FWIW I am straight.

It is sexual perversion. Sexual perverts in charge of children is always bad. And BTW those who work against homosexuality are not necessarily afraid of it. Homophobia is a VERY overdiagnosed condition by liberal types.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:38:03 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
who cares.

Now THERE is an idea! Why didn't I think of that?!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
who cares.

what's worse is some of the gay bashers are the first to say. " We fight to protect those who cannot protect themselves",  it would be a mantra.  of course under their shirt it would say,
"except you."

So far there have been no gay bashers on this thread. Homosexuality is abnormal, deviant behaviour. The person with the problem is protected by the laws of the country just as I am. That doesn't relieve them of the problem however.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:48:16 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
who cares.

Now THERE is an idea! Why didn't I think of that?!

problem solved.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:51:26 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
who cares.

"except you."

So far there have been no gay bashers on this thread. Homosexuality is abnormal, deviant that would be opinion and bashing IMHO. behaviour. The person with the problem is protected by the laws of the country just as I am. That doesn't relieve them of the problem however.

seems those with the problem appears to be folks like yourself. those gay principals got a job and don't seem to have a problem at all.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:04:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Why did that merit an article in the paper and why the focus on their sexual orientation??

Do they put articles in papers saying shit like:

"straight moderator hired at ARFCOM" or
"straight CEO hired at Alcoa"

WTF
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top