Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2004 5:58:54 PM EDT
I've been looking high and low for years to no avail.
Does anyone build and sell gatling guns in modern, serious calibers ?

I'm not talking .22LRs or crank operated Ruger 10/22's or AK's.

I mean a real, multi barrel gatling.

I've heard there's a guy in CA called "Thunder Valley Gatling Guns", but have never been able to locate him.
Thanks in advance.

CKMorley
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless you are LEO/Mil, nope.

Last time one came up for sale it was around $200k.

EDIT:  Unless you meant the hand crank ones.  Those you can get, but they are pretty much custom made
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:51:23 PM EDT
[#2]
ETA: I have no idea what guns Larry Gatlin and his Brothers own.

Thunder Valley made/makes full-size Gatlings in .45/70.  The last one I saw (about 1998) went for somewhere between $14,000 - $20,000.  (The range is because the gunshop owner offered it to me for $14K, but the price tag was $20K.  I couldn't quite swing it at the time.)  I don't know if the company has started back up again now that the ban is over -- they weren't affected by the "assault weapon" part, but a ten-round magazine capacity on a twelve-barrel Gatling isn't much fun.

RG-G makes ready-to-crank Gatlings in .22LR for $5700-$10,900, or kits for about $680, or plans for about $60.

There are other companies making black-powder Gatlings (using the same technique as the first Gatlings did, basically a stack of steel cylinder chambers with a percussion-cap nipple on the back;  these get loaded with powder, patch, bullet, and percussion-cap, put in a rack, and cranked through the mechanism).

Of these, the RG-G kits arguably give the most bang per buck.  But if you can afford to buy a Thunder Valley, you probably can afford the ammunition bills.

EATA: holy #&*$, RG-G's prices ain't what I remembered.  The kit for $680 will be cheaper than buying the parts separately, because it's such a pain to find all the parts, and cost in bulk (for them) is lower than buying one-offs and having them shipped to yourself.

Here's RG-G's site:
http://www.gatlingguns.net/
http://www.gatlingguns.net/pricelist.htm

Oh yeah, there are other companies which have made Gatlings, including Furr Arms, which made quite a few half or third scale Gatlings in .22 Short and .22LR.  FJ Vollmer used to buy/sell these, IIRC.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top