Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2004 4:05:53 PM EDT
I'm right in the middle of replacing my M4gery barrel with an evil threaded barrel complete with flash hider and bayo lug. I have the upper removed from the lower. The hand guards removed. The gas tube retaining pin carefully tapped out of the front sight base/gas block, mindfull to the narrow and wide ends of the retaining pin hole.

But the gas tube is still stuck in the gas block and I can't seem to get it out. What should I try, more force?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:16:52 PM EDT
[#1]
wrap it with a rag, put gentle pressure on the tube with a pair of pliers..................tap the pliers with a small hammer
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:17:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:19:22 PM EDT
[#3]
or oxy acetylene......................

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:19:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow there are narrow and wide ends of the retaining pin hole???
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:20:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I had the same problem.  I put the gas tube(covered with cloth) in a vise, and gave the butt of my rifle a good and sharp hi,t and it came right out.  But be careful.  Its easy to scratch your barrel and other parts this way.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

i don't remember there being, i thought it was just a roll pin and not a tapered pin
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:29:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Heat the front site post with a propane torch for about a minute.  Carefully twist the tube back and forth, gripping it as close to the post as possible.  After it's loose, it'll pull straight out.

Use a little anti-seize compound during re-assembly.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:36:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Heat the front site post with a God's Gas torch for about a minute.  Carefully twist the tube back and forth, gripping it as close to the post as possible.  After it's loose, it'll pull straight out.

Use a little anti-seize compound during re-assembly.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:42:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Stand the barrel on its muzzle. Put just a bit of Kroil, or some other penetrating oil on the gas tube where it goes into the gas block. It may take a while to get in there. A pair of rubber jawed pliers are nice for this job.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:49:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i don't remember there being, i thought it was just a roll pin and not a tapered pin

Not tapered, 5/64" X 5/16" rollpin.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:50:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Just had a sticky one this afternoon, roll pins are the same size on either end.

Pliers and a tap with a tack hammer did the trick.

A little Kroil soaked into around the tube to FSB connection might make disassembly easier.

Danny
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:09:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks! Got it unstuck
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:12:24 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

But the gas tube is still stuck in the gas block and I can't seem to get it out. What should I try, more force?

Get a bigger hammer.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top