Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2005 9:18:59 AM EDT
So anyone getting mileage restrictions yet?  I haven't been in yet today but we have spent our fuel budget for the year and there is still 4 months left and prices keep rising.  I'm expecting it any day.  The chief told me two days ago to make sure that we didn't leave the vehicles running unnessessarily.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:28:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:37:36 AM EDT
[#2]
All the loacl gas stations here our OUT OF GAS.  So far, no word from the SO about our vehicles and use.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:43:36 AM EDT
[#3]
My fire Dept started running only 1 truck to fire alarms instead of usual 5.
Also, no more taking the truck to the grocery store, someone had to go POV.
And, if you need fuel, wait until you are clearing from a call to go get it.
And, Fire Dept has it's own fuel depot, but we can use any of the City's sites, we've been instructed to no use the Fire Dept fuel pumps at all, go other places.  That way if everyone else dries up, we'll still have something to fall back on.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:42:57 PM EDT
[#4]
One truck per alarm?  Yikes!  Can't slow the other departments activities....always fire/police to be the first ones to be skimmed.
They haven't cracked down on the unwarranted driving yet, I dont know why..... we still burn fuel for class 1 building inspections, hydrant maintenance, trips to HQ for mail/checks, food etc.  Grocery store in your own vehicle during your assigned shift hours, our city insurance co. wouldn't cover an accident, so wont catch us doing that.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Well no restrictions yet for us.....but I think it's coming.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:03:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Yep, we just got told not to leave the cars running when we're out of them,  but so far thats it.  If it goes much higher, I wouldn't be supprised if they start limiting the millage a shift, or something similar.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:58:04 AM EDT
[#7]
We got the speech last night about not leaving the car running when not actively on patrol.  They encouraged us to park the cruisers and walk through the neighborhoods.  We also got a "heads up" to expect much more assigned foot patrol and much less vehicle patrol if gas prices don't come down.  Of course, foot patrol is a lot easier when your jurisdiction is about 4 square miles.

None of this applies to me, as I get around via pedal power.  I was told to put as many miles on my bicycle as I want!

Dave
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:43:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Spoked too soon.  They cut us back to emergecny calls only all other duties off limits.  They encouranged our Police Dept  to walk the beat and bike patrol aswell.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:00:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So anyone getting mileage restrictions yet?  I haven't been in yet today but we have spent our fuel budget for the year and there is still 4 months left and prices keep rising.  I'm expecting it any day.  The chief told me two days ago to make sure that we didn't leave the vehicles running unnessessarily.  

Same EXACT thing we've ben told. I'm waiting for the mileage restictions, too. We've been having a LOT of break-ins and stolen vehicles at night/early morning, though. I work 3 daylights and 1 night per week, I'm expecting, with our problems, to have daylights responding to calls only so that the rest can actively patrol at night. We'll see.

Bub
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:40:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Only priority calls for us. No leaving the cars run, unless your a K-9 unit like me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top