Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2004 10:25:56 AM EDT
Did you guys see this email floating around?

IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES DID
>NOT PURCHASE A DROP OF GASOLINE FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE
>OIL COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES.
>
>        AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS
>OF OVER 4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL
>COMPANIES.
>
>        THEREFORE MAY 19TH HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT TO THEM
>DAY" AND THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP OF
>GASOLINE THAT DAY.
>
>        THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS
>MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD OUT.
>
>        WAITING ON THIS ADMINISTRATION TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES
>IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL IN
>PRICES THAT THE ARAB NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO?
>
>        REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF GASOLINE GOING UP BUT
>AT THE SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES, TRUCKING
>COMPANIES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH EFFECTS PRICES ON
>EVERYTHING THAT IS SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING
>MATERIALS, MEDICAL SUPPLIES ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO!
>
>        WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE
>DAY, WE WILL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN.
>
>        SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE WORD. FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO
>EVERYONE YOU KNOW. MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND MAKE MAY 19TH A DAY THAT THE
>CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES SAY "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH"
>        REMEMBER
>        DO NOT BUY GAS!!!!
>        MAY 19, 2004
>

What do you think?  

At first it sounds a bit like sound conservation tactic then rings of liberal protest.

Tj
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 10:27:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm in.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 10:28:33 AM EDT
[#2]
its basically an urban legend, bs email
been around before
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 10:30:26 AM EDT
[#3]
So purchases would spike on the 18th, and the 20th.  I'm sure the oil companies are concerned...
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 10:31:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Sweet, no lines that day..

Not that there are now, but...
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 10:32:27 AM EDT
[#5]
They'll make up the sales when everyone who would have filled up that day does so the next day.

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:18:04 AM EDT
[#6]
That email has floated around many times in the past 3 years.

Aside from the fact that doing this for only one day would be ineffective in making the businesses sweat, the logistics of actually making it happen are next to impossible.

Think about it.  You would need EVERYONE to do this, including commercial traffic.  Not very realistic.

Now, if we could avoid buying gas for 6 months..........
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:19:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I've gotten this stupid email twice already today. Thought about using logic to poke holes in this BS, but that'd prolly confuse 'em.

Z
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:20:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Ditto on what DriftPunch said.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:22:11 AM EDT
[#9]
It's at least four years old on the Web:

www.snopes.com/politics/business/nogas.asp
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Snopes is your friend!

Eudora filtered that into my "junk" email box.  I wonder why?
ETA:  Dammit, BayEagle!
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:31:28 AM EDT
[#11]
No sense trying to beat them with one swift blow. I have a feeling that the oil companies would out wait us. Call it a hunch.

Anyway, make them drop the price by changing the way you opperate. Stop at the store when you are driving by, and dont make a special trip anywhere when possible. walk more, drive less be creative.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:35:10 AM EDT
[#12]
At $2 a gallon, this has been my mode of transportation to work...

15 miles to work, 15 miles home...  with a change of clothes, a laptop, and my packed lunch on my back.  Oh, and my USP45, too...  you never know when a crazy driver will try to kill me with car...  
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 2:49:16 PM EDT
[#13]
think that bike would pull my 53 foot trailer with 40 thousand pounds of freight?
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 3:16:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
think that bike would pull my 53 foot trailer with 40 thousand pounds of freight?

i be the bike could do it, the real question is how far could you pedal it......
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 3:46:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm upset with the price of eggs lately... let's all not buy eggs for a week and stick it to those greedy farming guys.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got ~85 miles on my car since the last time I filled up, two weeks ago. And 50 of those miles were today. I've been walking to work and every where else lately. I also got the motorcycle running and need new tubes for the bicycle. The car is going to sit in the driveway this summer.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 4:54:27 PM EDT
[#17]
i bought a motorcycle. i will make up the full price of the bike and the repairs to get it up and running before the end of this fall.. maby ill head to texas or florida to keep riding this winter..
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 4:57:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I've been wondering this for a while, so this may be the thread to ask it in. What would happen if a large amount of people were to buy just one gallon of gas and charge it on thier gas cards? Or several purchases of a gallon each? Would this screw up the accounting systems of the gas companies?

Also, my biggest fear of the gas price problem is of when the price goes down. What happens whem our congress critters decide that since we did not protest and revolt over the prices that the difference should be a tax increase... Get ready for it... fullclip
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
So purchases would spike on the 18th, and the 20th.  I'm sure the oil companies are concerned...

That may be, but if we could pull it off for 2 or 3 days.. those 2 or 3 zeros will negativly affect their numbers.. Even if sales spiked the day before, and after...
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 5:35:52 PM EDT
[#20]
www.theaircar.com/

Fight the power!
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I've been wondering this for a while, so this may be the thread to ask it in. What would happen if a large amount of people were to buy just one gallon of gas and charge it on thier gas cards? Or several purchases of a gallon each? Would this screw up the accounting systems of the gas companies?

Also, my biggest fear of the gas price problem is of when the price goes down. What happens whem our congress critters decide that since we did not protest and revolt over the prices that the difference should be a tax increase... Get ready for it... fullclip

Oh when you are right your are right my man!  I don't see any polticians running to lower the taxes right now either.

How the hell did gas become a sin tax anyway?

Tj
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top