Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2009 12:00:06 PM EDT
My new computer should be here in a few weeks. I'd like to partition the HD, and install some version of Windows, just for gaming. (Both on-line and off.)

Should I go Vista or XP?

I've heard arguments for both.

However, not being a Windows guy, I don't know what would suit my needs best.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(Mods: I only put this here to reach a larger audience. If you think it should be moved, feel free.)
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:12:37 PM EDT
[#1]
XP.  Less OS overhead means more juice for the game.  

I don't keep up with games much anymore, but I'd toss a wild-ass guess at there not being too many titles that are Vista-only yet either, which would be about the only reason to go Vista IMO.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:14:33 PM EDT
[#2]
XP by far.  Less resource usage, best driver compatibility.

ETA: The only downside is no DX10 on XP :(
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:15:24 PM EDT
[#3]
XP..vista blows and microsoft knows it...thats why they are making a new os. Windows 7
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:15:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool. Thanks.

Until now, I've pretty much been a console-only game guy.

This is my first foray into computer gaming, and I'm really fumbling in the dark.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:17:34 PM EDT
[#5]
XP still has the edge, but Vista is closing the gap rather quickly. 64bit with 6GB triple channel RAM rawk
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:20:49 PM EDT
[#6]
XP without a question.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:21:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
XP still has the edge, but Vista is closing the gap rather quickly. 64bit with 6GB triple channel RAM rawk

They'll be at Win7 before that happens.  Vista will be trotted out to pasture soon enough, and can bask in the sun with WinME and MS Bob.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:21:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Vista, DX10 looks great. You said gaming, right?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:22:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They'll be at Win7 before that happens.  Vista will be trotted out to pasture soon enough, and can bask in the sun with WinME and MS Bob.

Very true, Vista is going, going, gon..... well, almost.  Win7 isnt as much as a resource hog, so thats good.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:23:56 PM EDT
[#10]
the honest answer?

windows 2008 server. faster than vista, without the fluff. you add the aero desktop if you want (vista desktop).

run either 32 or 64 bit.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:24:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been out of the gaming scene for a while. Whats keeping MS from porting DX10 onto XP, besides MS being run by a bunch of fucksticks? Is XP simply not compatible?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:24:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Save yourself a bunch of headaches and go XP.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:25:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Get 64 bit XP, but upgrade once Windows 7 comes out. The beta has very nice performance so far.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#14]
What is this Windows 7? First I've heard of it.
Then again, as much as I'm not a computer person AT ALL, I have heard quite a few bad things about Vista.... Unfortunately, we just ordered a new Dell laptop that will have Vista on it. Maybe we'll be able to switch it to Win 7 when it rolls around?

eta:  nm.... I guess I have heard that they were coming out with a 'refined Vista.'  I just didn't know it was called Windows 7.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:27:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get 64 bit XP, but upgrade once Windows 7 comes out. The beta has very nice performance so far.

What are the system requirements for 32 bit vs. 64 bit?

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:29:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Windows 2000.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Windows 2000.

Eh.

I miss NT 4.  Fucker flew on my dual 166 MMX's.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:32:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been out of the gaming scene for a while. Whats keeping MS from porting DX10 onto XP, besides MS being run by a bunch of fucksticks? Is XP simply not compatible?

Actually, people have gotten it to work just fine on XP.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:33:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

64bit XP sucks ass, driver support sucks ass. If you go 64 bit go Vista. If you want Xp, stay 32 bit
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:39:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Okay, another total Windows noob question. (Please bear with me. I appreciate the input.)

I see Windows XP w/SP2 Home Edition, and Windows XP w/SP2 Professional Edition for sale.

I don't need the Professional version, do I?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:40:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

64bit XP sucks ass, driver support sucks ass. If you go 64 bit go Vista. If you want Xp, stay 32 bit

QFT!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:41:17 PM EDT
[#22]
You dont need it no. I prefer Pro over home, but thats me, Im a geek

Pro features that aren't in Home Edition

Remote Desktop - All versions of Windows XP––including Home Edition––support Remote Assistance, which is an assisted support technology that allows a help desk or system administrator to remotely connect to a client desktop for troubleshooting purposes. But Only Pro supports the new Remote Desktop feature, which is a single-session version of Terminal Services with two obvious uses: Mobile professionals who need to remotely access their corporate desktop, and remote administration of clients on a network. You can access a Windows XP Remote Desktop from any OS that supports a Terminal Services client (such as Windows 98 and, interestingly XP Home). XP Home can act as the client in a Remote Desktop session; only Pro can be the server.

Multi-processor support - Windows XP Pro supports up to two microprocessors, while Home Edition supports only one.

Automated System Recovery (ASR) - In a somewhat controversial move, Microsoft has removed the Backup utility from the default Windows XP Home Edition, though it is available as an optional installation if you can find it on the CD-ROM (hint: it's in the /valueadd folder). The reason for this the integration of Microsoft's new Automated System Recovery (ASR) tool into Backup. In Pro, ASR will help recover a system from a catastrophic error, such as one that renders the system unbootable. ASR-enabled backups are triggerable from XP Setup, allowing you to return your system to its previous state, even if the hard drive dies and has to be replaced. Unlike consumer-oriented features such as System Restore, ASR is not automatic: It must manually be enabled from within the Backup utility in Windows XP Pro. In any event, while there is a Backup utility available for Home Edition, you cannot use ASR, even though mentions of this feature still exist in the UI. Confusing? Yes. But it's better than no Backup at all, which was the original plan.

Dynamic Disk Support - Windows XP Professional (like its Windows 2000 equivalent) supports dynamic disks, but Home Edition does not (instead, HE supports only the standard Simple Disk type). Dynamic disks are not usable with any OS other than Windows 2000 or Windows XP Pro, and they cannot be used on portable computers. Likewise, Home Edition does not include the Logical Disk Manager.

Fax - Home Edition has no integrated fax functionality out of the box, though it is an option you can install from the XP Home CD.

Internet Information Services/Personal Web Server - Home Edition does not include the IIS Web server 5.1 software found in Pro.

Encrypting File System - Windows XP Professional supports the Encrypting File System (EFS), which allows you encrypt individual files or folders for local security (EFS is not enabled over a network). EFS-protected files and folders allows users to protect sensitive documents from other users.

File-level access control - Any user with Administrator privileges can limit access to certain network resources, such as servers, directories, and files, using access control lists. Only Windows XP Professional supports file-level access control, mostly because this feature is typically implemented through Group Policy Objects, which are also not available in Home Edition.

"C2" certification - Microsoft will attempt to have Windows XP Professional certified with the "C2" security designation, a largely irrelevant status, but one which will not be afforded to Home Edition.

Domain membership - Home Edition cannot be used to logon to an Active Directory domain. For obvious reasons, the Domain Wizard is also missing in Home Edition.

Group Policy - Since Home Edition cannot be used to logon to an Active Directory domain, Group Policy––whereby applications, network resources, and operating systems are administered for domain users––is not supported either.

IntelliMirror - Microsoft lumps a wide range of semi-related change and configuration management technologies under the IntelliMirror umbrella, and none of these features are supported in the consumer oriented Home Edition. IntelliMirror capabilities include user data management; centrally-managed software installation, repair, updating, and removal; user settings management; and Remote Installation Services (RIS), which allows administrators to remotely install the OS on client systems.

Roaming profiles - This feature allows users to logon to any computer in an Active Directory network and automatically receive their customized settings. It is not available in Home Edition, which cannot logon to an Active Directory domain.

Multi-language support - Only Windows XP Professional will ship in a Multi-Language version or support multiple languages in a single install.

Sysprep support - Windows XP Pro will support the System Preparation (Sysprep) utility, while Home Edition will not.

RIS support - See the IntelliMirror heading in the previous section; Home Edition does not support RIS deployments.

Following features also missing from Home Version;

64-bit version
The user interface for IPSecurity (IPSec)
SNMP
Simple TCP/IP services
SAP Agent
Client Service for NetWare
Network Monitor
Multiple Roaming feature
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#23]
xp or vista???? windows is dropping a lot of support for XP next month,and on a personal note *ahem* I HATE WINDOWS.....

I moving over to linux....
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:44:04 PM EDT
[#24]
XP or 2000

Vista is CRAP.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:47:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You dont need it no. I prefer Pro over home, but thats me, Im a geek

Pro features that aren't in Home Edition...

<Lots of computer stuff I really didn't understand>

Cool.

Frankly, I just want to be able to play a little CoD4 without having to go out to the living room and fire up the 360.

I think I'll stick with the Home edition

Thanks again for the help.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:49:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
xp or vista???? windows is dropping a lot of support for XP next month,and on a personal note *ahem* I HATE WINDOWS.....

I moving over to linux....

Yea, they might quit releasing updates.  *shrug*

If you're relying on MS for more "support" than that though, you're pretty much hosed anyway
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:49:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Windows 2000.

Eh.

No DirectX support which he will need for games.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:56:12 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

XP..vista blows and microsoft knows it...thats why they are making a new os. Windows 7

You do realize don't you that before XP MS came out with a new OS every 2-3 years?  Was it because the old one "blows" or just because MS likes to sell a new OS every few years or is trying to keep up with technology?

Do you also realize that the folks who are now saying "Vista blows, XP is the best, Bill Gates is an idiot", are simply parroting the people who said "XP blows, Windows 98 is the best and Bill Gates is an idiot",  when XP first came out?

The only thing wrong with Vista that wasn't wrong with every new MS OS is that it lacked hardware support for the first year of it's existence. MS isn't making the same mistake with Windows 7, they're forcing companies that want Vista Logos for their hardware to also certifty it for Windows 7.  

And be afraid, MS is rushing Windows 7 to market.  They know that with the advent of SP1 for Vista and a decent level of harware support there's nothing wrong with Vista, but it's got a bad rep and they're bringing 7 to market before it's ready simply to try to erase that rep from people's memory.  By the time 7 arrives, Vista will be as good and as mature an OS as XP was when Vista came out 2 years ago.

And next time, before you open your mouth and demonstrate your stupidity, you might want to get a clue.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:00:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Windows 2000.

Eh.

He can play Mechwarrior 2 and Descent, and be GLAD ABOUT IT!  

Damn kids these days with their fancy graphics and engaging gameplay.. Why, when I was their age we needed to shovel coal into the case and fly a kite in a thunderstorm to reboot!  And we were HAPPY!!!

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:02:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Windows 2000.

Eh.

Damn kids these days with their fancy graphics and engaging gameplay.. Why, when I was their age we needed to shovel coal into the case and fly a kite in a thunderstorm to reboot!  And we were HAPPY!!!

Mechwarrior...? I'd be happy with Lode Runner.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:05:06 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, people have gotten it to work just fine on XP.

+1

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:05:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Windows 2000.

Eh.

Mechwarrior...? I'd be happy with Lode Runner.

At least your Lode could run!! We had to drag ours around in a wheelbarrow, which was made even tougher because the wheel hadn't been invented yet.  But we did indeed enjoy Lode Dragger!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top