Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2015 8:14:21 PM EDT
Looking for a self contained camera to catch license plate of offenders.  Can mount it low or high, within 30ft of passing plates.

Power not available (will double check this). SD card and stealthy ir, and mounting or securing recommendations?

Buy from Amazon and return if not good enough?

Input welcome!

*edit* 0940 1/21

Thanks Guys!  Great Info!
Highlights -
* Buy 2, one cheap, one good, to watch if cheap one gets taken out
* Bushnell is good, while it lasts!
* Moultrie 1100i should be avoided
* Bad neighbors caught on game cameras move within a few weeks of being outed
* Primos cameras aren't so good
* Use Lithium batteries (I knew this but didn't think of it till it was mentioned!)
* Wildgame cameras are cheap but work well enough.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:04:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy 2.. One cheap one, and put it in out in the open, and a second one watching that camera from higher up.. Paint it, conceal it really well.. Your "dummy" camera might scare them off, but if it fails, and they tamper with it, guess what.. you have proof.. Add a few charges besides illegal dumping to the list..
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had good results with a higher end Bushnell, non invisible IR camera. Great at detecting animals upto 50 feet, and smaller animals like foxes and cats- until it broke and took hundreds of pictures a day.  Tried swapping the batteries.  Still the same issue.

I replaced it with a Moultrie 1100i, which is supposed to be one of their better models.  It sucks.  The first one had a detection range of less than 12 feet.  Paid to ship it back to Moultrie for a replacement model that has a detection range of 20 feet at best.   Never see the foxes and cats I used to see, and misses deer at close ranges.

In short, Bushnell good till it broke.  Moultrie sucks, with 2 strikes.

Fuck Moultrie.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:17:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy 2.. One cheap one, and put it in out in the open, and a second one watching that camera from higher up.. Paint it, conceal it really well.. Your "dummy" camera might scare them off, but if it fails, and they tamper with it, guess what.. you have proof.. Add a few charges besides illegal dumping to the list..
View Quote

This.

I set up a cheap camera (Wildgame) on my property so any trespassers can see it. Then I have a better (Bushnell) that is hidden but can still take pics of anyone trying to steal or vandalize the other camera or anything in the area.
This set up has nabbed an idiot neighbor 2 times and the local Sheriff said I could press charges since I have posted "No Trespassing" signs. Showed pics to neighbors wife since he wouldn't come to the door and said I was pressing charges if any more trespassing, they moved out the next week.
Pics of said idiot neighbor on riding lawn mower with idiot son trespassing on my place:

Night time pics on cheap camera aren't too bad either:
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:19:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Illegal dumpers suck! I'm dealing with it as well, but my situation is at work.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:23:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
This.

I set up a cheap camera (Wildgame) on my property so any trespassers can see it. Then I have a better (Bushnell) that is hidden but can still take pics of anyone trying to steal or vandalize the other camera or anything in the area.

This set up has nabbed an idiot neighbor 2 times and the local Sheriff said I could press charges since I have posted "No Trespassing" signs. Showed pics to neighbors wife since he wouldn't come to the door and said I was pressing charges if any more trespassing, they moved out the next week.

Pics of said idiot neighbor on riding lawn mower with idiot son trespassing on my place:

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm299/ackspac/20140625_163357_zps4yz89q0d.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm299/ackspac/20140625_163357_zps4yz89q0d.jpg

awesome!

OP stay away from primos cameras, I've had 2, one broke, the other eats a set of batteries within 2 weeks.  Their warranty is horrible.  

have an old cheap wildview or something like that, still ticking, but the pics leave something to be desired.  

just ordered 2 bushnells, they are supposed to be decent

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:27:20 PM EDT
[#6]
OHHH!

By all means! USE LITHIUM BATTERIES!!!!

They last a lot longer then regular batteries. Some of mine go three to four months.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:35:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Any cameras that will turn on/off at a predetermined time?
I want to keep an eye on my shop at night from across the yard. I don't need 87k pics of my dogs during the day.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:52:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one by Wildgame. It takes great pictures and was only $65 at Bass Pro.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:37:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I really appreciate the feedback guys.  Time to hit up Amazon and see what I find...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top