Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2001 9:17:33 AM EDT
I hear alot of people on this board play Counterstrike, Quake, and Unreal Tournament.
But to me these games are just "blow-up anything that moves". Personally i enjoy Tom Clancy's Rogue Spear. I think it is the most realistic anti-terrorism military sim game out right now. The Guns you get to play alone make it fun as hell.

Red Storm the makers of Rogue Spear are coming out with a new militar sim game called Ghost Recon due out in December 2001. I think this is gonna be one of my favorites and probably yours too!

for more info:
[url]http://www.redstorm.com/games/gameinfo.php?id=119[/url]

some screenshots from Rogue Spear:Black Thorn(the new mission pack due out in October)

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/reconxl%2Frs1%2Ejpg[/img]
[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/reconxl%2Frs2%2Ejpg[/img]
[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/reconxl%2Frs3%2Ejpg[/img]

[i]Changed topic name to keep with the trend... -- GB[/i]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 10:20:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 10:39:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Does Mahjong count ?
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 7:24:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Mahjong should count, along with solitaire and battleship. When I grew tired of pong and finally got me a real 'puter (Atari 400) I liked Star Raiders, Missile Command, and Mule. Then Mr. IBM screwed up and opened up his architecture for the world to copy cheaply so I broke down and got me a IMB compatible. Since then I've killed everything that moves in Doom and Duke Nukem (had fun setting off pipe bombs next to my buddies - they never knew what hit em), cleared the skies in my F-16 Fighting Falcon, made successful carrier landings in my F-14 Tomcat and F-18 Hornet, and bombed Hitler into submission in my ole B-17 Flying Fortress. Even made it back for a safe landing on one engine once. Lately its been Diablo and Diablo II.

I hear there's a new FPS coming out by the company who makes training sims for the military. Supposed to be even better than what the military gets, minus some of the classified stuff. Can't remember the name of the company offhand. CRS setting in!!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 10:22:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I dont know much about all the fps out there, but I read Red Storm was approached by the Army to make a mainframe combat sim for them.  They turned down the offer and use the idea to make Ghost Recon the game.  Sounds very promising...

Link Posted: 8/19/2001 8:31:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Wish I could remember the name of the military sim I referred to above. I read about it in a PC Gamer mag I left at work. If I have no CRS bout tomorrow, I'll find the article again and post the info. The military contracted with this company to produce the sim, and it is presently in use. I do remember that the military version has no troops to take out, just vehicles, but the civilian version will have troops.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 8:44:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I stick to the turn based games. Operation Art of War 1+2, Combat Mission, and the Pazner General Series.

Also play Shogun: Total War, Flight Sims (Falcon, MS Combat Flight Sim. 2, etc).

I liked Swat 3 much better than any of the Rouge Spear games. In SWAT 3 it was a lot more dynamic, your men didn't stick to a preplanned mission route, so you could change tactics halfway through the game.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 8:46:42 AM EDT
[#8]
   I actually spent most of last night over at a friend of mine's where we had a small LAN setup with all of our computers. We usually spend 90% of the time playing Rouge Spear and the Urban Operations expansion. We do play UT and Halflife occationally, but we do prefer the realistic games such as Rainbow. If you are looking for a game that comprimises between fast action and realism, try thr Delta Force series. Unlike Rainbow Six, you can respawn when you die, which keeps thing going. You guys may also want to check out the Operation Flashpoint demo, it look very impressive. Other than that, I usually play a little Start Fleet Command and whatever flight sim I'm currently in the mood for....
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 8:49:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 9:08:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I was pretty young when [b]Magic the Gathering[/b] came out.
I never did learn how to play, but I made a damn fortune off selling the cards... I recognized that the cards had potential to become valueable as players increased, and demand outstripped supply.
I asked the Magic players which cards were rare and sought after, then I bought them... (This was before the "Scrye" price guide came out)
My gamble paid off, and the game blew up in popularity.
All of a sudden, the "Rock Hydra's" and "Serra Angel's" I had paid $2.00 - $5.00 for were selling for $75 - $100, and people were readily paying the asking prices...

As far as games I play, chess.
I am ELO rated 1850 which is good, but it has been a while since I competed against other good players, so my rating has surely dropped since then. I usually play Kings Indian or Ruy Lopez systems.
I think certian computer games games are very good. They require a more real time strategy, and stress critical thinking skills in an active enviroment, which is  V_E_R_Y  benificial to kids in their formative years.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 10:36:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 11:26:44 AM EDT
[#12]
The world environment of the maps looks incredible but the weapon models are crude as hell.    The models are rather rough polygons but the skins don't fit either.    Somebody out there has got to make replacement models for those things.

I wish I could learn how the hell to use 3D Studio Max to create models and then skin them.

Do the Urban Terror weapons have alternate modes of fire?   Like a laser on the MP5 or a tactical light on a shotgun or AR?    What about skills options?
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I was into playing Q3 and Team Arena, but the major turnoff from it was "lag from hell". Being on a 56k modem it drove me nuts. The guys I was up against were pinging the host at most 50ms, some around 20ms. They were dancing around me. I felt like I was in Star Trek beaming all over the map. 56k and Quake do not mix. I could handle the lag in Rogue Spear because once the newbs die it leaves [:D]. If I ever get DSL or Cable I might pick it up again. [b]Quake take half skill and half ping.[/b]

When does Urban Terror hit the shelves?? Do you have to have Original Q3?
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 2:28:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 11:00:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm more into the real time strategy games. Command and conquer, Starcraft, and MechCommander. The Point of view games bore me to quickly, with Sim games being the exception. I liked driving my own Mech around in Mechwarrior.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 8:03:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 11:54:55 AM EDT
[#17]
reconxl...i know what you mean about lag. todays games are impossible to play through a regular modem anymore. the best way is to have a few friends get network cards & just run through a hub. its fast as hell. anyone play 'no one lives forever'? its pretty damn good.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 5:44:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Well here's the take on the military sim I mentioned above. Turns out it's a multiplayer RTS, not a FPS. The military version, called Joint Force Employment, has been in use since May 2000 to train officers in the "fine art of strategic warfare". The civilian version will be called Real War. The scenario is WW III and you'll be in command of all 4 branches of the service (wonder what happened to the 5th?) and will be able to coordinate land, sea, and air strikes. You can keep an eye on units with a chase camera. Weapons and vehicles will be the same as currently available, including planes, cruise missiles, and propaganda leaflets. This is based on real war, as the name implies, so protecting your resources, supply lines, and runways will be a biggy. Sounds like a must have if you like WarCraft and StarCraft. The name of the company is Rival Interactive. Projected release date is August 2001 so keep an eye out.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 2:02:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Some times you just need stress relief,
Army men, hit them with the sniper rifle, the shatter, the flame thrower,  they scream and turn into a melted puddle of gooo.  Some times you just gotta kill pixal people.

My other favorite is the flight sim Red Baron, Zipping over no mans land in a Fokker, Taking on all Neups, or Spads, If you get any ground fire, take it personally, go down and teach them their folly.

Odd question, Catholics beleive that the thought is even a sin, What about vidio games.
TMA
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 7:46:15 AM EDT
[#20]
I play Tribes 2.  I never played the original much, but I'm definately hooked with this one.

"Shazbot"
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 7:51:02 AM EDT
[#21]
I am pretty ruthless in rogues spear.  But I found a cooler shootout game in the arcade called Police 911, you stand on a pad and the game moves the way you move so you can jump behind objects to dodge fire from an asian gang of gun smugglers.  I do pretty good at it but it costs a dollar to play so I don't do it too often.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 5:53:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm big into Red Alert 2 at the moment. Actually the  Command & Conquer series is all I have played for a couple of years and do it several times a week. It has actually screwed up my life as I spend way to much time on it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 4:35:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Has anyone tried Delta Force 3?
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 7:03:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Alright, question for ya guys... which game would you like me to go into in my first article... I am very familiar with just about everything mentioned in here and in the GD. So I can run a generic article on FPS, RTS, TBS, or any other type of game, or I can go into a specific game such as CS or Tribes2...

Thoughts?

-- GB
View Quote

I would suggest Hidden and Dangerous 2, here is their website:  http://www.hidden-and-dangerous.com It is a FPS set in Europe during WWII where you are fighting as part of the British SAS. Great choice of weapons and unlike Rainbow Six you can pick up more during the fighting stages of the game (since you can only bring in so much at the beginning, this is a nice touch) also you can send your men out to do certain tasks and watch them from a distance. You can find the original on the $10 rack at wally-world; it is definitely worth the $10. The 2nd one is due out this quarter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top