Link Posted: 1/5/2002 5:18:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 5:21:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Dude...I'll be glad to give you about 50 lbs that I no longer need. [;D]
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 5:25:15 PM EDT
[#3]
brou,
give it time my young friend. youll be singing a different tune when you get older.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 5:25:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 5:25:32 PM EDT
[#5]
You should be raising your calorie intake a day from around 2000 to about 3000 a day. Start at about 200 more each day to get used to it. Eating large amounts of the right foods will bulk you up what ever size. Protein should be consumed to about 1gram per pound of body weight. This will help muscles grow instead of being a tub-o-guts.
Check out bodybuilding.Com. They have good info on every thing from supplements to workouts. I'm not a pro, but I am 24 and 5' 10" also only I weigh in at 255. Can bench the same.

JerrY

Link Posted: 1/5/2002 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#6]

If you want to gain lean muscle tissue.. It might not be in your genetics to easily do...

If your interested in just gaining some fat weight, the Sumu wrestlers Gorge themselves one day and fast the next..  your body goes into shock not knowing when it will be fed next and stores the food.  this would also work if you just pigged out with only one meal a day

Good Luck  
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 5:35:48 PM EDT
[#7]
My cousin was like you -- thought he wasn't "heavy" enough (about 30 pounds below his "ideal" weight).  So he goes on some high calorie program designed to get him to gain weight.  It's successful, he adds about 50 pounds -- most of it muscle rather than fat.  Doesn't look "better", just bigger.

Now, 10 years later, he regrets this as a totally stupid move.  His metabolism changed (slowed down) as he got older and he never could go back to a lower calorie diet (got used to the high-calorie stuff).  He's about 70-80 pounds OVER his "ideal" weight and has a big gut and cholestorol problems.

Anyway, be happy with the way you are and DON'T screw around with your weight in "unnatural" ways.  You *will* regret it later.

- CD
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 5:40:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Ditto to what M700 said. Eat lost of red meat, eggs, fish (tuna), chicken, etc.

Protein shakes help too. Be careful what you buy though, because sometimes you are just paying for the "name." Pretty much all protein is the same. Whey protein is the best type, IMHO. Also, check the nutrition facts on the jug and figure out which brand gives you the most protein per serving. You'll have to so a little math, because some brands try to trick you by saying they have something crazy like 90grams/serving, but that serving size is about four gallons! So in short, compare serving size and grams per serving of protein.

EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT!!! A about 6 times a day.

Last, go to the bookstore and get a book on bodybuilding. Schwarzenegge has a good one.

STAY AWAY FROM GIMMICKS!!!! They're everywhere in the fitness world. The pros usually take only creatine, protein (shakes), and glutamine (for muscle recovery).

LIFT LIFT LIFT. 5 days a week. I got a good program if you want one. Just let me know. email- [email protected]

Good luck! It can be done! I went from 172 to 195 in one summer!
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 5:52:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Dont worry about gaining weight. I wouldnt try either.
You will gain when you get older, trust me.
Once you go over 25, the weight will start to show up here and there. Get closer to 30, and it will keep on comming, if you eat like you are 18.
Really want to gain it?  Get a serious girlfriend, or get married.  No going out as much, means more weight
c-rock
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 6:02:04 PM EDT
[#10]
You could be hyperthyroid, have a Doc check you.
But, in all probability you are just blessed.
They used to call me String Bean, T Bone, and Spider, untill I was 19 or so.  At 27 I was a fit 180 (6'1") I more or less Stayed between 180 and 195 untill I hit 42.  I have up to 237, but now hover at around 210.
AHHH, to be under 200 again!!

Hey, C-Rock is right.  When I was single, or otherwise unattached, and chasin' I was always lean and fit.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I am 4' 11" 350 and never had a problem with that.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 8:25:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Anyway, be happy with the way you are and DON'T screw around with your weight in "unnatural" ways.  You *will* regret it later.
- CD
View Quote

Amen to THAT!

When I was about 25-ish I was just about right. I wasn't the 'beanpole' I was in my early 20's (6'1" 160lbs) but I wasn't the Beer gut, Love handle having man I am now at 30 (6'1" 210)

You have a Gift Brou, you have NO idea what it's like to CURSE at the dryer for shrinking your pants when you have to suck it in to get 'em buttoned!
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 8:29:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You have a Gift Brou, you have NO idea what it's like to CURSE at the dryer for shrinking your pants when you have to suck it in to get 'em buttoned!
View Quote

Sweatpants with elastic waistbands are a good alternative.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 8:36:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Guiness stout and doughnuts will put you on the road to weight gain pronto.  I never had a problem with weight until I started drinking beer.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#15]
What you want is to gain muscle. Why? Because muscle burns calories and weight resistance exercises make your bones strong. This is important not only to look and feel better now  but to help you live a healthier life as you age.

Forget protein diets as weight/muscle builders, your body can only use so much and the rest overworks your liver and kidneys before it flushes out the excess. A balanced diet with carbohydrates and calories set to fuel your activity level is the best plan. Choose healthy eating habits that will stay with you the rest of your life.

Work your heart and lungs with aerobic exercise several times a week for at least an hour. Lift moderate weights using the best form and controlled movement with emphasis on the negative portion of the lift and proper breathing technique. Do compound lifting exercises that utilize many muscle groups and build up poundages as you improve for strength building. Look into Pylometric type training for strength and speed. Try not to build only T-shirt muscles (biceps/triceps). Work the biggest muscle groups the hardest for the best overall size and strength gains, these are in order: legs, back, chest, shoulders. Those groups will get you the most results rather than wasting time in the gym doing endless arm curls.

Bicep and tricep and calves should be considered small muscle groups and should be worked only after the bigger muscle groups have been exercised. Keep the sets for smaller groups down to two or three, work them to exhaustion with quality sets of short duration.

Do squats or leg presses, power cleans (like a clean and jerk except pressing the weight overhead rather than trowing it up), back rowing, lat pulls, bench pressing, lateral delts, shoulder presses, curls, and press-downs.

You'll see results in a couple months!
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 8:51:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sweatpants with elastic waistbands are a good alternative.
View Quote

HAHAAAAAA!

True, True, But that's just admitting defeat.

I REFUSE to be the next Tub O' Lard on Springer who gets carted out of his house on a Forklift.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 8:54:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Guys, I'm hoping somebody can help me with this.  I'm a small guy, and I've always been a small guy.  When I mean small, I mean weight-wise.  I'm about 5'10", but only weigh about 135#.  I want to gain weight, but I've never been able too...it seems my metabolism is just too fast.  I used to work out all the time, and I'd gain strength, but never any weight.  I'm certainly not weak...all my friends are amazed at what I can do for being so small.

brou!
finally someone feels my damn pain.  i am about the same age, weight and height as you.  i've done all the bullshite workout/high cal stuff there is and i can't peak 145.  my advice is to just learn to cope, and remember that when all our buds are fat as rosie on a binge we will just be fillin' out our scrawny little pooches.  my metabolism is so damn fast that i can eat a whole cake/pie/side of beef and i will actually loose weight from the digestion process.  most people say "big effin deal!" but as you and i know, few supermodels go to bed thinking "hmm, i want to bang someone who makes even me look fat!" maybe we should start our own support group (chicken boys anonymous)? im in dallas, where are you?
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 8:57:22 PM EDT
[#18]
oh and i lifted weights for years, and while everyone else got bulky, i got all weird and wiry.  i could stay with them on the bench, etc. but i still looked like a scrawny twirp. it did make me feel better about myself tough...
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 10:05:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 10:10:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 10:17:17 PM EDT
[#21]
 Hey Brou, I had the same prob you do.  At 25 I weighed 144 lbs, and did construction work at the time.  I was throwing my own weight in material around with no prob, but I (obviously) was skinny as a rail.  (I'm 5'9") By 35 I was up to 165, and I was in GREAT shape.
 Then my daughter was born, so I started working less.  In 1991 I had an injury that kept me at home for a few months, and the weight started piling on.  I floated at 185-190, but I still ate like a starved wolf.  Now I am 47, over 200 for the first time in my life, and it's all in the middle.  Age will add the weight, don't screw with your metabolism or you WILL regret it.  Enjoy it while you can.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 10:20:46 PM EDT
[#22]
My mother thought so when I was 9 or 10 - says she thought I was going to dry up and blow away...

Then came Watkins Vitamins - I can't get down to a reasonable weight now. (of course, my sedentary career choice hasn't helped.)

Link Posted: 1/5/2002 10:24:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Liquid carbohydrates are your friend!!!

DRINK MORE BEER, IT WORKED FOR ME!!

[beer]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top