Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2012 10:26:57 AM EDT
Checking to see if anybody knows the particulars in regards to importing a GSD.  I am interested in trying to get an actual European blood line male and didn't know if someone knew a breeder or a club that it would be possible to work with.  I would prefer to import the dog myself rather than buy it through a clearing house/breeder from the US.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 11:11:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I am sure there will be some knowledgeable folks around soon.

However I have to ask. Why do you want to do this?

I am guessing it is to avoid the frog-dog GSDs that the show people have developed.

While that is very reasonable, you see this same crippling distortion in European lines as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRU8UdMnssU&feature=related

So simply importing a European dog doesn't side-step the issue.

Of course many breeders have imported European working lines and either:
#1 started breeding euro working lines here.  
#2 combined the euro working dogs with solid dogs with good temperament here to make a better family companion
#3 bred their euro import to anything and sold the results to uniformed consumer who magically thought any euro blood meant a good animal.

There are some really good dogs here in the USA that are 4th or 5th generation of imports.  There are also people who have great connections and DO import dogs.  What do you think is lacking in the grandsons of the dogs imported from Europe, or what do you think is lacking if you go to a person who has imported dogs from Europe before?

No offense intended, but in my experience with other breeds, people who wanted something imported from Europe but wanted to do it themselves had some misguided notion of saving money.  That isn't the case at all.  In addition to having never dealt with all the paperwork and logisitics of transporting a dog, often the people who are breeding QUALITY dogs in other countries don't send them off to random strangers.  It's only after the foreign breeders have gotten to know the requester that they'd even CONSIDER the request.  Also there is generally a high demand for quality dogs.  Breeders who are producing true quality have a lot more buyers than puppies.  Why would they choose to sell to a random stranger vs friends and business partners?
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 7:08:33 PM EDT
[#2]
It was more of an exploration of options then anything.  I understand that dogs from any breeder can present with a multitude of problems.  The angle I was looking at was that the GSD lines have not been manipulated into the show style dog that you speak of.  The European lines are geared more towards the mental strength and the strong drive characteristics.  This being the main reason most police canines and all military dogs are brought from overseas.  Also, I have no issues with an American bred GSD, as I currently have an almost 1 year old female.

I just didn't know if it was possible to do so without going through a US breeder, which of course would increase the costs.

Thanks for your reply

(edited for poor spelling/fat fingering my iphone!)
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 8:00:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree with akodo, and would not import a dog yourself unless you plan to travel to the breeder, meet them in person, see the adult males and females they breed, and have a history of training working dogs (if that is what you are seeking).

Find a US breeder who has an excellent reputation, preferably in your area, whose dogs you can visit or at least see examples from people who have bought from them (such as at local dog clubs).

Are you looking for a show dog, a pet or a working dog?
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 8:28:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm thinking it would be simpler to get a US pup from Czech or German working lines.  There are several around, a little pricy however.  I just lost my german shepherd in November, she was the classic sable colored dog from imported parents.  I got a malinois pup from an imported stud, great dog and sheds a lot less than a german shepherd.  The malinois is really social, but tend to be higher energy, not for someone who wants to play with them once a week.  I suspect a lot of the working german shepherd can be kind of that way as well, though.

I really like the Belgian, or Dutch shepherd personally though, I've never had a dog pick up training as fast as this one.  She will absolutely learn to do anything for a chance to play ball, or tug.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:00:48 PM EDT
[#5]
There are plenty of people who import excellent dogs from Europe, but these people are either professionals or high level competitors who have the money, right contacts, knowledge, and experience.  Since you are asking a question here, you likely don't any of the latter three.

There are many good working European line breeders in the States.  Many of their pups are only one or two generations away from a European kennel.

I don't know any breeders in IA, but I'd be happy to recommend good breeders in IN, KY, and TN; all successful K9 handlers or international competitors.

ETA: My opinion is that, for the money, you can get a better dog here than in Europe.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 5:06:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It was more of an exploration of options then anything.  I understand that dogs from any breeder can present with a multitude of problems.  The angle I was looking at was that the GSD lines have not been manipulated into the show style dog that you speak of.  The European lines are geared more towards the mental strength and the strong drive characteristics.  

I think you missed my main point.  Did you watch the video?

Let me spell it out.  In Europe there are plenty of show GSDs that are JUST as ruined as the show GSDs in the USA.

The key isn't to think of USA vs Europe but Show vs Working.

You do not need to go to Europe to get "mental strength and the strong drive characteristics" you simply need to find a breeder who thanks to his OWN importation of working dogs from Germany, Czech, or wherever and has been using them in his breeding program.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top