Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2001 4:26:50 PM EDT
I've decided to buy myself a GPS for my birthday, so what are the good ones and what should I stay away from?

I want something that is rugged, reliable and that I can plug into my computer to download maps and such. I've never used a GPS, so if there is some other stuff that I really need please fill me in. Thanks in advance...

Michael
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 4:30:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Magellan 315

U.S. Cav has them.(or used to have them)
Does everything you need.
uscavalry.com
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 4:35:03 PM EDT
[#2]
They are all good but I prefer Garmin for their reliability, price, features, ruggedness, size, etc...  I have a 12map, 12xl, etrex vista.  The etrex series are fantastic but the screens are small.  The Garmin emap is a fantastic value if you want mapping and software at a moderate price.  I'll wager that a modern GPS will surpass your expectations.  The ultimate toy other than bangsticks.  With my 12map (1.5meg storage) and my Vista(24 meg storage),  I download maps from Garmin TOPO software that are astonishingly detailed.  I also connect to Delorme TopoUSA 3.0 software to show how I'm going down the highway (as viewed on my laptop computer) in 3D relief!
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 4:52:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 4:58:14 PM EDT
[#4]
i have a magellan but don't use it much. in a vehicle is ok but afoot in the bush it's another thing to keep up with and uses batteries pretty fast. one set per 24 hours if on all the time. i find a map and compass adequate for general use. i have a hard enough time typing let alone remembering gps stuff. besides, it's another mags worth of weight.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 6:30:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Garmin and my hunting buddy has a Magellan. We both agree that the Garmin is easier to use.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 7:17:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Garmin E Map. Great little unit with lots and lots of options.

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 8:35:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Had a magellan 2000 it is very slow to read satelites and always loses lock on them.It is old about 4years.Just bought a garmin e trex and it kicks ass.Locks in on sats in about 45sec-1.5 min(even in my truck away from the windshield) and the speedometer actually keeps up(accelerated to 125mph on a gixxer 750)and it got it all quickly.so far very happy with it.it runs about 120.00. it is easy to use also alot of people have recomended it.As for the magellan 325 i do not know personally but my uncle says he likes his.They both also use only 2 aa batteries.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 9:05:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Garmin GPS III Plus.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 2:31:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I use Magellean.  I will put me within 10' of my recliner everytime![:D]
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 2:01:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got the Garmin EMap and really like it.  I need to get the topographic CD-Rom to go with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top