Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2002 12:42:01 PM EDT
Here's a question for all you electricians out there.  Can I connect two strings of GFCI outlets in parallel and juice them from the same breaker, as in the following wiring diagram?

[img]www.dimensional.com/~mwluse/gfci.jpg[/img]

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 1:38:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I am no electrician, but I have a question, wouldn't you have to have 2 gfci breakers in the circuit then? The plug that has the breaker I mean, not the main circuit breaker at the panel.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 1:38:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Marvl,
      If you want each gfci to work independently then you wire each of them on the "line" side only, no "load" connections.
You can also just use 2 gfci's. Make the first plug a gfci, come off of the "load" side of the gfci to wire up the other regular plugs. The first gfci will protect the plugs. Understand?
What are you using these for?
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 1:41:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Marvl,
      If you want each gfci to work independently then you wire each of them on the "line" side only, no "load" connections.
You can also just use 2 gfci's. Make the first plug a gfci, come off of the "load" side of the gfci to wire up the other regular plugs. The first gfci will protect the plugs. Understand?
What are you using these for?

You could also use 1 gfci breaker for all of the plugs too.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 1:43:41 PM EDT
[#4]
You aren't putting two wires under the screws of the breaker are you?  You can't do that.  You can only run one wire under each of the screws.  With that done lets go on.

Its legal to protect multiple outlets downstream, as long as you follow all of the requirements for wire gauge, connections, boxes, etc.

One way you could accomplish the two sets of parallel outlets it to put a J-box away from the breaker and branch the circuit.

One warning though.  Although there is nothing in the NEC about running two parallel sets of outlets, it does make it harder for the inspector to check.  No matter what the NEC says, some inspectors want it done their way.  If possible run a single string to apease them.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 1:43:51 PM EDT
[#5]
You should compare the cost of those 6 GFCI receptacles to one GFCI circuit breaker to protect the whole circuit.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 2:20:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Okay, thanks for the info.

This is for wiring outlets in the basement, where GFCIs are required (specifically a workshop I am finishing off).

I have one unused 20-amp circuit coming in.  I want to split into 2 parallel feeds (inside a box, not at the breaker).  I'll make the first outlet on each branch a 20-amp line, 20-amp passthrough GFCI, then all down-stream outlets normal 20-amp outlets.

I already have the GFCI outlets, so no need to buy a GFCI breaker.

Thanks for the info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top