Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/5/2004 2:00:59 AM EDT
Here at work several people have the bamboo plants.  If you havent seen them you can get them for a few dollars at most flea markets and some grocery stores.  Im thinking these might cause a problem in a few years or so when people get tired of it, or think its dead and throw it out  probaly in the yard so they can keep the little pot it comes in.

Bamboo is not something I want growing in or near my yard thats certain, I expect most people who have deal with it before will agree with me.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:09:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I like bamboo shoots in curry chicken and moo goo gai pan.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:10:52 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Ever had it growing in your yard?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:13:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, I had some growing in my back yard, my stupid next door neighbor just planted them into the ground instead of putting them into a container. I took me something like 6 months of pulling and probably a gallon of that weed killer to get rid of it. Bamboo is really hardy stuff and really really hard to get rid of.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:15:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, I had some growing in my back yard, my stupid next door neighbor just planted them into the ground instead of putting them into a container. I took me something like 6 months of pulling and probably a gallon of that weed killer to get rid of it. Bamboo is really hardy stuff and really really hard to get rid of.

Yea I dont want to see how alot of people tossing this stuff out might spread it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:17:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea I dont want to see how alot of people tossing this stuff out might spread it.

Does it spread fast like that ivy crap?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:18:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Damn close to it.  Harder to dig up
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:23:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow . One of the few happy child hood memories I have of Florida is going out n my back yard and picking a bamboo sick to make a fishing pole from .
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:29:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

It's spreads like crab grass, with a lots of runners, the young shots are real tender and could be eaten, but the older shoots, oh man are they tough.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:55:54 AM EDT
[#9]
The silly little "lucky bamboo" things that people are buying all over the place now aren't bamboo.  They look a very little like it, but they aren't really a species of bamboo.

ETA:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/azgard/msg081900168272.html

http://www.americanbamboo.org/FAQ.html

If you bought “Lucky Bamboo,” “Chinese Bamboo,” “Curly Bamboo” or “Water Bamboo” the plant you bought isn’t bamboo at all, and not even a grass. Or, if the plant you bought has been growing in a vase with just water and some rocks or marbles, it is a Dracaena (probably Dracaena sanderiana but also possibly D. deremensis or D. fragrans 'Massangeana', which is also called the corn plant.)
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:59:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The silly little "lucky bamboo" things that people are buying all over the place now aren't bamboo.  They look a very little like it, but they aren't really a species of bamboo.

And what would you call it?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:03:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

See additional notes added above.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:11:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Bamboo SUXXX!!!!!

It's infested my backyard.  Came underground from my neighbors.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:22:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

See additional notes added above.

Gardenweb. Nice. My wife posts there sometimes. Shes the plant freak, not me so I wont pretend to say one way or another. I do know she has a cool ittle verugated bamboo thingie in the little vase thingie that looks like those bamboo thingies they sell in the store except it has white stripes around the leaves.
Its a cool thingie for sure.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:29:11 AM EDT
[#14]
I have it in my yard and it's a nightmare!  I'm thinking of  bringing in a panda bear to help clear it out.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:37:12 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I have it in my yard and it's a nightmare!  I'm thinking of  bringing in a panda bear to help clear it out.

Panda's only eat certain kinds of bamboo! We had acres of that stuff growing in the southern end of the county where I grew up..the national zoo would send a truck down every so often to haul it up the road. OTOH my godmother was stuck with acres of the crap that they wouldn't eat.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:47:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Panda's only eat certain kinds of bamboo! We had acres of that stuff growing in the southern end of the county where I grew up..the national zoo would send a truck down every so often to haul it up the road. OTOH my godmother was stuck with acres of the crap that they wouldn't eat.

Still, it would be cool to have a Panda roaming around in my back yard!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:51:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Still, it would be cool to have a Panda roaming around in my back yard!

+1
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:52:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's your ethnicity?

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:01:00 AM EDT
[#19]
FIRE
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:03:48 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't lose any sleep over the thought  
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:06:23 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was under the impression they were corn plants.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:09:23 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was under the impression they were corn plants.

Look, the only thing I know about bush is how to hit it, lick it and split it ok? Gimme a break here fellas!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:15:16 AM EDT
[#23]
real hard to get rid of in the yard. If you plant it you have to contain the roots(rhizomes)in something or it will take over everything
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:37:11 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's your ethnicity?

110% white, bordering on transluscent. What the hell does my ethnicity have to do with bamboo growing in southern MD that was fed to Panda's in the National Zoo?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:45:54 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's your ethnicity?

110% white, bordering on transluscent. What the hell does my ethnicity have to do with bamboo growing in southern MD that was fed to Panda's in the National Zoo?

I don't know either but I'm dying to hear this one!  I have it in my yard (my neighbors had it first) and I'm white
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:48:02 AM EDT
[#26]
It sucks to have it in your yard.  You can also be taken to court if it invades your neighbor's yards.  I have seen it happen.

On the plus side, you have lots of material to make punjii sticks
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:51:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:57:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Hell CAMPYBOB... we've got cactuses growing all over here locally now.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:08:53 AM EDT
[#29]
It must be nuked from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.

I remember a story on 60 Minutes or 20/20 or something like that back in the early 80's about how kudzu was threatening to engulf the entire South and drive all other life from the planet.  They were trying so hard to whip people into a paranoid frenzy you would have thought that it was going to topple governments and interrupt welfare payments.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:08:58 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's your ethnicity?

I don't know either but I'm dying to hear this one!

Me too!

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:12:54 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
FIRE

Fire won't kill bamboo. In fact, fire will make it grow faster.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:30:54 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's your ethnicity?

Me too!

Me three!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:42:03 PM EDT
[#33]
I have it next to my drive way. I had to take my dozer and dig a 1 foot deep trench next to my paved driveway because the stuff was growing up THROUGH the blacktop and ruining it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:49:48 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's your ethnicity?

Me too!

Me three!

Me Fore
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:16:01 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
It must be nuked from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.

I remember a story on 60 Minutes or 20/20 or something like that back in the early 80's about how kudzu was threatening to engulf the entire South and drive all other life from the planet.  They were trying so hard to whip people into a paranoid frenzy you would have thought that it was going to topple governments and interrupt welfare payments.

Speaking of kudzu, I just visited my in-laws in Chattanooga, Tennesse and the kudzu had enveloped thousands of acres of huge trees.  It looked like a leafy blanket thrown over the trees.  It was sickening.  I assume it will kill all those trees eventually because it robs them of sunlight.

Edited to add:  I'm white.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Here at work several people have the bamboo plants.  If you havent seen them you can get them for a few dollars at most flea markets and some grocery stores.  Im thinking these might cause a problem in a few years or so when people get tired of it, or think its dead and throw it out  probaly in the yard so they can keep the little pot it comes in.

Bamboo is not something I want growing in or near my yard thats certain, I expect most people who have deal with it before will agree with me.

It's kudzu's weaker cousin - KILL IT BEFORE IT KILLS YOU!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:29:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#38]
When I was a kid, about every third house had cane growing - for decoration and for fishing poles.  The only wild cane I could walk right to now is along the White River in Arkansas, haven't seen any elsewhere for a long time.

Nothin' like a cane pole.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:59:47 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
FIRE

Fire won't kill bamboo. In fact, fire will make it grow faster.

I can't believe no one has said this yet: Tannerite!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:06:28 PM EDT
[#40]
The guy that comes up with an inexpensive herbicide for "damnboo" that works will get really rich.  I could kill my neighbor...
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:09:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Me and my little bro had to use a 2 ton ratchet puller (like for boats) to get it out of the yard we moved into in 2000, the yard took almost 3 years to get back to normal

That stuff that people have in the office is lucky bamboo and not actual bamboo. My wife had some and it is different stuff. Not as hard to kill and will never get that tough with roots etc.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:57:29 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
The guy that comes up with an inexpensive herbicide for "damnboo" that works will get really rich.  I could kill my neighbor...

Vinegar.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:13:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Cut the stalks off about a foot off the ground and pour a little gasoline in.  After two weeks or so you can pull them up by hand.  Nothing ever came back, and I had it thick enough to hide Viet Cong.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:19:48 AM EDT
[#44]
A mixture of 245T & 24D works wonders on bamboo....  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:23:07 AM EDT
[#45]
If the stuff gets loose any place where it can get water, you're screwed.

It will grow in any kind of soil equally well.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:31:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Does it winter very well?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:31:59 AM EDT
[#47]
I have a lot of the devil's plant in my yard.  Two years ago, I cut one down that measured 76' high and about 5" in diameter at the base.  I have since surrendered to the bamboo.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:51:19 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Vinegar.

Really?  Do you just pour it on the ground, around the base of the bamboo?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:59:20 AM EDT
[#49]
MOAB
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:59:27 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's your ethnicity?

Me too!

Me three!

Me Fore

Me five.  Can I get a six?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top