Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/13/2004 3:15:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/13/2004 3:19:16 PM EST by ED_P]
Just for a change from all the AWB sunset threads, I thought I'd start a malicious 7.62 vs. 5.56 thread
to end the Love fest and get everyone fighting again.

To start, I've never seen anything but G-3's in use by the Norwegians, though I've read on the
internet they also have G-36's. The few times I've seen soldiers on maneuvers in or near
metropolitan areas in their home country, they've always had the G-3. I'm assuming they
practice like they would deploy.

And though Sweden has the FNC in 5.56, they actually prefer the G-3 for Urban Comabat due
to it's better penetration of structures, according to this website I stumbled across today.

www.wendel.se/rswa/stdssk.htm

Though great in endless tracts of Evergreen wilderness, I think the G-3 is a strange "preferred"
choice for Urban combat, anyone else?

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:24:57 PM EST
I could see it for urban combat but for CQB like clearing a building I would much rather have an M-4.

Just my .02

AKASL
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:26:32 PM EST
I would think that a military force would be plenty justified in preferring a round that penetrates walls...but law enforcment and civilians don't have that pleasure. We have to worry what is on the other side of them.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:30:43 PM EST
Could those be Swedish Home Guard troops, practiging securing urban areas (since Home Guard are local units)?

IIRC the Home Guard still are issued G-3, whereas regular army are issued FNs
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:35:19 PM EST
Also - a G3/HK91 is not very long for a .308. It's actually shorter than an M16A2. I'd still prefer one of my M4s but a G3 would get it done through walls and such.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:35:38 PM EST

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Could those be Swedish Home Guard troops, practiging securing urban areas (since Home Guard are local units)?

IIRC the Home Guard still are issued G-3, whereas regular army are issued FNs

The pics are regular Army, and the website link below the pics mentions the G-3 and M-240 as the arms issued to Urban Combat Units

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:36:26 PM EST
Top Top