Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2005 12:53:39 PM EDT
I think this guy is being somewhat sarcastic, based on his previous letters to the editor, but I think the editors completely missed that when they created their title for the letter. A recent letter to the editor even took them to task for creating titles that went against the content of many printed letters...anyway, for your amusement....

Disarmed New Orleans a model to follow

Letters

One has to give credit to the City of New Orleans. They have taken a beating but are willing to stand up to the National Rifle Association and put the truth to the lie propagated by them. On Sept. 8, the New York Times reported total gun confiscation has started in the Big Easy. Yet not one word of protest from the NRA, George Bush, Charles Heston, or even gun owners. So much for the “from my cold dead fingers” crowed. I'm more surprised at the NRA for not even a peep about it. Maybe it is due to people like P. Edwin Compass III, the superintendent of police saying “No one is allowed to be armed. We're going to take all the guns.” At the orders of New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin, the New Orleans Police, the National Guard, the Oklahoma National Guard, and U.S. Marshals have begun breaking into homes at gunpoint, confiscating their lawfully-owned firearms.

For years the NRA supporters have said that no police or national guardsmen would ever go along with a confiscation order, that would be their call for a new Lexington. We can see from how eager they are to comply it's not true.

Lets ask ourselves, if New Orleans can do this, why not Ithaca?

William Kone

www.theithacajournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051006/OPINION03/510060307/1014/OPINION

Its got some fairly glaringly inaccurate comments; I am weighing whether it merits a response....

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:56:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think he's being sarcastic at all. Lots of people believe this.

In fact he's probably intentionally trying to misstate how the NRA responded in order to make it seem like confiscations are "doable" in this political climate.

Definitely warrants a response.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top