Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/23/2006 1:37:40 PM EDT
I know this should be posted in the AR forum but, hey what the hell it is the GD. Any who, is it really worth spending the money to free-float the barrel of an AR? $250 is a lot for two pieces of plastic. I know that there are cheaper free-float tubes on the market but they are mostly 1 piece tubes which involve taking the barrel and the FSB off. For a defensive carbine I don't like the fact that it would take a helluva long time to replace the gas tube should it need replacing.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:39:52 PM EDT
Unless you are in a 1903 competition type sling like we use in highpower matches it is a waste. My single point sling on my SHTF gun puts no stress on the barrel!

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:44:17 PM EDT
I've freefloated my scoped 20" AR, so that the barrel is completely free from being affected by the sling or bipod.

Not sure I see the purpose for a defensive carbine, unless it is to mount some kind of laser or IR designator that needs to be perfectly aligned with the barrel/ballistics. For something like a defensive carbine, I'd be perfectly happy with a 2-piece set up like the $100ish YHM or MI railed handguards.

Top Top