Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2004 7:22:27 PM EDT
Ever heard of putting a pressure point, such as a cut credit card, at the end of a free floated barrel?

I've got a thin whippy barrel on a gun and it was suggested to me, wanted to know if anyone else had tried it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Adding a pressure point to a gun that is set up for a free float defeats the float.  The problem with shimming the barrel of a rifle with a wood stock is that a different shim is (theoretically) required with every weather change to keep the preload on the barrel constant.  Free floating gets around this problem.  Occasionally you will find a rifle with an adjustable device near the end of the forearm that can be used to adjust the preload on the barrel as needed - these are more common on rimfire rifles.

Many older rifles made by Remington have a little bump machined at the end of the forearm to accomplish this; I don't know if Winchester incorporated the same feature, bu t niether of my M70's have it.

If the rifle is shooting well, I wouldn't mess with the shim, except perhaps as an experiment to see if you can detect a change in the rifle's performance.  You will probably have more luck by tuning a handload specifically for the rifle.  If you are going to try the shimming strategy, you might as well experiment with varying thicknesses and installing the shim at different locations along the barrel, too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top