Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2005 12:28:22 AM EDT
I am dying to know who she is protecting, it is probably hillary or one of her cia friends

Free Judy Miller
August 29, 2005
www.nytimes.com/2005/08/29/opinion/29mon2.html
The New York Times reporter Judith Miller has now been in jail longer for refusing to testify than any reporter working for a newspaper in America. It is a very long time for her, for her newspaper and for the media. And with each dismal milestone, it becomes more apparent that having her in jail is an embarrassment to a country that is supposed to be revered around the world for its freedoms, especially its First Amendment that provides freedom of the press. Ms. Miller, who went to jail rather than testify in an investigation into the disclosure of an undercover agent's identity, has been in a Virginia jail 55 days as of today.

Last week a Paris-based journalists' organization called Reporters Without Borders sent around an impressive petition in support of Ms. Miller. It was signed by prominent European writers, journalists and thinkers including Günter Grass, Bernard-Henri Lévy, the French philosopher, and Pedro Almodóvar, the Spanish filmmaker. The text should be required reading for the judge, the prosecutor and the White House. "At a time when the most extremist ideas are gaining ground, and when growing numbers of reporters are being killed or taken hostage, arresting a journalist in a democratic country is more than a crime: it's a miscarriage of justice," they wrote

That was only the latest of the petitions in support of Ms. Miller that have been pouring in from Americans like Bob Dole, the former Senate majority leader, and people outside the United States. In one particularly poignant case, reporters in Pakistan - Pakistan, mind you - took time out from their own battles to send messages of support.

It's time for the authorities who jailed Ms. Miller to recognize that continued incarceration is not going to sway a reporter who believes she is making a principled sacrifice. As Jack Nelson, a veteran journalist for The Los Angeles Times, wrote recently: "Without leaks, without anonymity for some sources, a free press loses its ability to act as a check and a balance against the power of government." He cited Watergate, Iran-contra and President Bill Clinton's lies about Monica Lewinsky. If Judith Miller loses this fight, we all lose. This is not about Judith Miller or The Times or the outing of one C.I.A. agent. The jailing of this reporter is about the ability of a free press in America to do its job.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:32:26 AM EDT
[#1]
As it's been said before, "I'm all out of give a shit".

Let her rot.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:35:36 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Last week a Paris-based journalists' organization called Reporters Without Borders sent around an impressive petition in support of Ms. Miller. It was signed by prominent European writers, journalists and thinkers including Günter Grass, Bernard-Henri Lévy, the French philosopher, and Pedro Almodóvar, the Spanish filmmaker.

Well shit, if they signed a petition, I guess we'll have to let her go.  Who are we to ignore the great thinking and advice of Gunter Grass, Bernard-Henri Levy and Pedro Almodovar?

Actually, I make it a point not to listen to people with special characters in their name when it comes to American policy.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:37:24 AM EDT
[#3]
You can all ways tell when something is good for America.
The Euro-left and the MSM get thier panties in a bunch
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:37:37 AM EDT
[#4]
This could be big, there is NO way she is protecting rove
who could she be protecting? the answer to that could be very suprising
or not
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:39:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You can all ways tell when something is good for America.
The Euro-left and the MSM get thier panties in a bunch

Yeah, they are very consistant
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:43:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
or not

She's protecting a fellow "proREgressive"
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:54:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
or not

which one though, the suspense is KILLING me, really
I want to KNOW who, I hope it is juicy..............
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:59:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Judy who?

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:05:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Judy who?

The secret agent that made dem campaign contributions from her "front" and posed for vanity fair
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:12:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
or not

which one though, the suspense is KILLING me, really
I want to KNOW who, I hope it is juicy..............

It'll be a long time. The Leftys still can't face up to Van Patters murder(<link) She'll stay in as long as she has hope her freinds can get a lefty-judge's court order to spring her. She might even try to wait untill the next POTUS election.( I hope)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top