BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 80
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 7:54:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

He's just nervous because this man was seen whispering into the ears of everyone who shot the Reformation at Shot Show.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/236039/Slugworth-431357.JPG
View Quote
This thread continues to deliver
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Like i said, I agree sending in letters as a citizen is silly but when you're bringing a product to market it makes sense to make sure it's legal for your customers to own before you land them in hot water.

As others mentioned there are countless examples of this going wrong. Probably the most notable was the akins accelerator who "totally had an ok from ATF guys, totally".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess to verify the same as FA. It’s every Tom, Dick, and Harry sending in requests for letters of clarification that really is unnecessary.
Like i said, I agree sending in letters as a citizen is silly but when you're bringing a product to market it makes sense to make sure it's legal for your customers to own before you land them in hot water.

As others mentioned there are countless examples of this going wrong. Probably the most notable was the akins accelerator who "totally had an ok from ATF guys, totally".
The Akins Accelerator? They requested a review for one design and ended up selling something else. There aren’t enough letters you could write to clarify that level of BS.

ETA: Thinking about it, one could look at that instance and conclude just how worthless a “letter” really is.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You don't find FA's refusal to post a letter of classification, even if it Is redacted, interesting?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have they said they got a letter?  It looks straight up Title 1, no particular need for a letter.

Didn't they say they were going to release the rifle @ the same time as the ammo, and they're just now talking to ammo companies?

I wonder if this thing wouldn't do better as a 9x19mm or .45 ACP carbine - if we're just going to throw spinning golf balls, the bigger the better, no?
Why did mossberg bother getting a letter for their shockwave then?
I guess to verify the same as FA. It’s every Tom, Dick, and Harry sending in requests for letters of clarification that really is unnecessary.
You don't find FA's refusal to post a letter of classification, even if it Is redacted, interesting?
Right now? No. When they’re actually producing and selling them? Yes.

ETA: It’s been what, two weeks since their announcement and two days since the unveiling at SHOT Show. They’re not even on the market yet.

ETA: They manufacture and sell their Binary Trigger, they probably know who to contact at the ATF for product review - not their first rodeo.

ETA: Just saying, they’ve BTDT. Give them a little credit.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 8:28:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

ETA: It’s been what, two weeks since their announcement and two days since the unveiling at SHOT Show. They’re not even on the market yet.

ETA: They manufacture and sell their Binary Trigger, they probably know who to contact at the ATF for product review - not their first rodeo.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have they said they got a letter?  It looks straight up Title 1, no particular need for a letter.

Didn't they say they were going to release the rifle @ the same time as the ammo, and they're just now talking to ammo companies?

I wonder if this thing wouldn't do better as a 9x19mm or .45 ACP carbine - if we're just going to throw spinning golf balls, the bigger the better, no?
Why did mossberg bother getting a letter for their shockwave then?

I'd want to get it out there ASAP with all the interest being shown. Seems it would affect preorders, if they're taking any at this time.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 8:45:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 8:55:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 8:55:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ok, I will file an FOIA and will post the letter here when I receive it from ATF.....

As you know there is no such thing as an "approval".

The letter will describe it's classification under the GCA and NFA and the technical data is not protected under FOIA and is kinda the point of the FOIA in the first place.

You also know that it would be illegal for Mr. Curtis outside of FOIA to speak to me about your company or it's projects.....You're being kind of disingenuous with your coy answer.
View Quote
And if I caught things right your being kind of a asshole, yep looks like you make that piece of SHIT Shock wave , so you want to fuck with the Competition , yea I'd be worried to if I was marketing that shockwave too

Do what I want or I'll file papers that might fuck with you, are you 12
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 8:58:17 PM EDT
[#8]
i want to see this thing go up against a tantal with one of the shitty barrels that keyholed
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 9:01:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
i want to see this thing go up against a tantal with one of the shitty barrels that keyholed
View Quote
Heck, when it comes right down to it, I wouldn’t care about the proprietary ammo. Honestly, I’d like a barrel and shoot the shit out of some the commonly available stuff. Cheap ruskie steel case even.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 9:01:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 9:36:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

And if I caught things right your being kind of a asshole, yep looks like you make that piece of SHIT Shock wave , so you want to fuck with the Competition , yea I'd be worried to if I was marketing that shockwave too

View Quote
I know reading is hard. Look at the date on the Historic Arms letter and the date the shockwave came to market. Historic Arms had an approval letter about 2 years before Mossberg and the shockwave came to market. Next time stay in school and get that GED.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 9:39:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Maybe that football needs some fins.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 9:42:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Well, it is the Falcons so...
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 9:46:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I am really surprised a company like this thought this would be a great idea and actually invested a lot in it. I wish them success, but it just seems they really were off the mark in gauging the market.  Reminds me of Trounds or those gyrojet guns/projectiles.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 9:47:15 PM EDT
[#16]
This page made me lol till I cried.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 9:48:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm not sure what i find more funny, the fact that you think they make the mossberg shockwave or the fact that you think franklin arms' thing is in the same category as the scattergat
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 9:55:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm guessing the target will look something like this.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/236039/K-431186.JPG

Hard to believe there's a serious discussion about this being a worthwhile trade off for getting a stock over a brace (crazy expensive proprietary ammo is an equally poor trade off, IMO). But I suppose there's always at least a few people willing to buy anything. I'm sure Mossberg even sold a few of those chainsaw shotgun grips.
View Quote
That picture reminds me of how I discovered that my Daewoo K2 has a 1/12 barrel.  I tried

some M855 in it.  That was what the target looked like.......at about twenty five yards.  Now

that I think about it, if that is what the target looks like with standard ammo and SOME

twist, standard ammo and NO twist is going to be horrible.  And my apologies if it has been

posted, but  apparently even with twist, the military claims underspun 5.56 is only effective

to about 90 meters:  see M855 https://www.armystudyguide.com/content/army_board_study_guide_topics/m16a2/ammunition-types-and-char.shtml

Have you guys considered ONLY 300 blackout with a sabot/flechette load?  A 1 1/4 #11 roofing

nail with the head hammered flat would probably fly straighter than standard ammo.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 9:56:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
You live in Georgia and you think either of those teams are the Falcons?
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 9:57:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit you’re right. I was looking at the ticker below
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 10:09:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm guessing they've not written a letter, or more likely, BATFE hasn't responded in time for SHOT show.  They decided to tease it now, and work on the ammo until they hear back from Tech Branch.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 10:14:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I am really surprised a company like this thought this would be a great idea and actually invested a lot in it. I wish them success, but it just seems they really were off the mark in gauging the market.  Reminds me of Trounds or those gyrojet guns/projectiles.
View Quote
I don't think they have a lot invested.  They've made a few barrels, one press release, and an interview.  They've spent some money on a screw machine, but they can flip that for what they have in it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 10:23:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm guessing they've not written a letter, or more likely, BATFE hasn't responded in time for SHOT show.  They decided to tease it now, and work on the ammo until they hear back from Tech Branch.
View Quote
Well hes saying he heard from the chief back in august, how long would a letter like that take?
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 11:14:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/25/2018 11:33:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I don't remember asking for this.  Any of you guys remember asking for this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol. We're given what we want but don't want it once it's given. Finicky.
I don't remember asking for this.  Any of you guys remember asking for this?
It’s a turd is what it is. A curiosity, nothing more.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 11:41:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't think they have a lot invested.  They've made a few barrels, one press release, and an interview.  They've spent some money on a screw machine, but they can flip that for what they have in it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only money they "invested" was in marketing. In the promo video he clearly states they called E.R. Shaw, thier barrel manufacturer and had them make this barrel for them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 12:19:34 AM EDT
[#27]
The is a bullshit, hyped-up product that nobody will buy.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 12:44:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The is a bullshit, hyped-up product that nobody will buy.
View Quote
They will sell a few for the novelty, but it isn't going to be a major seller. Nice exercise in how dumb the laws are, and how useless a straight bore is.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 12:58:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

They will sell a few for the novelty, but it isn't going to be a major seller. Nice exercise in how dumb the laws are, and how useless a straight bore is.
View Quote
I think you mean NRS Technology bore
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 1:10:24 AM EDT
[#30]
A lot of people are talking about air rifles and paintball guns which leads me to wonder:  if you are going to go down that road of developing a new, proprietary bullet, why not try for something other than a center-fire cartridge.

That very well could put the weapon beyond the GCA/NFA entirely.

Since 15th century technology is all the rage again, maybe some lesser known cartridge types could be brought back and examined.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 7:34:45 AM EDT
[#31]
@angus6

@franklinarmory

For the record:

1) I am not marketing the "shockwave" or any other version of the "pistol gripped shotgun like firearm" (Nor have I ever).

2) I am not in competition with Franklin Armory on any level.

3) I have sued the ATF successfully under FOIA several times and I can assure you that ATF classification letters are very much accessible under FOIA.

4) I know that under US v. Brady ATF classification letters are also available in discovery for any defendant who may be accused violating the NFA.   The Franklin Armory classification letter must be released in discovery (and possibly already released as such) in Federal court if one were charged with possession or manufacture of an unregistered SBR.

5) This is not about being an asshole....Franklin Armory is marketing a product and making extraordinary claims the government has told them it is "approved" then have declined to show proof of the claim.....I do not want innocent folks to loose their money, freedom, or have to have the "man" come into their life.  (As has happened in US v. Wrenn and US v. Clark et al).

6) The response by Franklin Armory was to ask FTB about the so called approval.....KNOWING that FTB CAN NOT respond that way....most folks are completely unaware of how this works.  I stand by my claim that the remark by Franklin Armory is disingenuous.

If that is being an asshole then I guess I am guilty.....
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 11:39:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
@angus6

@franklinarmory

For the record:

1) I am not marketing the "shockwave" or any other version of the "pistol gripped shotgun like firearm" (Nor have I ever).

2) I am not in competition with Franklin Armory on any level.

3) I have sued the ATF successfully under FOIA several times and I can assure you that ATF classification letters are very much accessible under FOIA.

4) I know that under US v. Brady ATF classification letters are also available in discovery for any defendant who may be accused violating the NFA.   The Franklin Armory classification letter must be released in discovery (and possibly already released as such) in Federal court if one were charged with possession or manufacture of an unregistered SBR.

5) This is not about being an asshole....Franklin Armory is marketing a product and making extraordinary claims the government has told them it is "approved" then have declined to show proof of the claim.....I do not want innocent folks to loose their money, freedom, or have to have the "man" come into their life.  (As has happened in US v. Wrenn and US v. Clark et al).

6) The response by Franklin Armory was to ask FTB about the so called approval.....KNOWING that FTB CAN NOT respond that way....most folks are completely unaware of how this works.  I stand by my claim that the remark by Franklin Armory is disingenuous.

If that is being an asshole then I guess I am guilty.....
View Quote
While I understand your motivation maybe you could hold off until they at least start pre sales for these. It is not like these are shipping as we speak. Also they might be a bit busy with some big convention or something in vegas.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 11:43:45 AM EDT
[#33]
As I thought, Badselfeater. Retarded.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 11:46:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 11:50:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I mentioned this earlier in the thread, it seems we have all young'uns here that have never tried M855 from a 1:12.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That picture reminds me of how I discovered that my Daewoo K2 has a 1/12 barrel.  I tried

some M855 in it.  That was what the target looked like.......at about twenty five yards.  Now

that I think about it, if that is what the target looks like with standard ammo and SOME

twist, standard ammo and NO twist is going to be horrible.  And my apologies if it has been

posted, but  apparently even with twist, the military claims underspun 5.56 is only effective

to about 90 meters:  see M855 https://www.armystudyguide.com/content/army_board_study_guide_topics/m16a2/ammunition-types-and-char.shtml

Have you guys considered ONLY 300 blackout with a sabot/flechette load?  A 1 1/4 #11 roofing

nail with the head hammered flat would probably fly straighter than standard ammo.
I mentioned this earlier in the thread, it seems we have all young'uns here that have never tried M855 from a 1:12.
I had it happen too.  Shot M855 during Desert Shield through an AF M16 in Dhahran.  Basketball sized group (maybe bigger) at 100m with keyholes.

Shot some Brit SA80 ammo and it sucked too.  It was stable but seamed pretty weak.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 11:52:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

For the record:

.I do not want innocent folks to loose their money, freedom, or have to have the "man" come into their life.
View Quote
Sorry, but your credibility went right out the window with this one.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 11:59:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the record:

.I do not want innocent folks to loose their money, freedom, or have to have the "man" come into their life.
Because of a typo?
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 12:01:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the record:

Spelling error aside, prove that he's wrong.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 12:04:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the record:

He probably can't. Grammar nazi is generally the last fall back position.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 12:05:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Lol, gun people really do their damnedest to discourage firms to think outside of the box or try new shit.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 12:15:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Lol, gun people really do their damnedest to discourage firms to think outside of the box or try new shit.
View Quote
You know why the mossy shockwave sold so well?

It was

1. Reasonably priced

2. had the utility of a PGO shotgun but the shortness of an sbs

3. innovated and didn't require a tax stamp

4. WASNT HYPED UP LIKE A GOLDEN SHIT NUGGET A WEEK PRIOR TO ITS REVEAL BY ITS COMPANY

I'll let you separate what's different between that, which most of us adore, and this franklin armory thing.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 12:15:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Actually just the opposite....

You must not know me or my past designs or my exposure to criminal cases as a firearms expert.

I do believe our industry has a responsibility to be up front and provide proof of our claims of government approval when they are made and I have seen first hand the damage done when we don't.

So yes, I am holding Franklin Armory to the same standard I hold the ATF to....That is to say: Show proof of the claim you are making.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 12:18:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

So yes I am holding Franklin Armory to the same standard I hold the ATF to....That is to say: Show proof of your claim.
View Quote
Oh yeah i forgot

5. Actually published their ATF letter when they announced the damn gun
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 12:20:14 PM EDT
[#44]

Sorry edited by me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 12:29:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Sorry edited by me.
View Quote
Reasons for not posting the approval letter now, prior to the hitting the market?

Maybe to slow down others in regards to making their own straight rifling or smooth bore versions.
The time it takes to get shit answered by BATFE; may as well wait for a copy of someone else's letter to pop up on the interwebs.

I'd be surprised if some barrel maker wasn't already tooling up or already running a smooth bore or straight rifled barrel for the builder market.

ETA:

Why edit that question and remove it?
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 12:48:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Reasons for not posting the approval letter now, prior to the hitting the market?

Maybe to slow down others in regards to making their own straight rifling or smooth bore versions.
The time it takes to get shit answered by BATFE; may as well wait for a copy of someone else's letter to pop up on the interwebs.

I'd be surprised if some barrel maker wasn't already tooling up or already running a smooth bore or straight rifled barrel for the builder market.

ETA:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry edited by me.

ETA:

FA jumped the gun on revealing what they're working on. Imo they should have waited until they were ready with  barrel and ammo R&D completed, verified and repeatable performance numbers, multiple examples for media types to test, and a letter.

Everything that's happening in this thread is on them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 12:56:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 2:25:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Was thinking about this. I'd buy one* for one reason. Just to give the middle finger to the NFA act.

* the PSA version that will be out in a few months.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 2:32:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Was thinking about this. I'd buy one* for one reason. Just to give the middle finger to the NFA act.

* the PSA version that will be out in a few months.
View Quote
If you were actually serious about "giving the middle finger to the NFA act" you would go out and build yourself an unregistered SBR.

This is just jerking it to some lingerie pictures in the JC Penny catalogue, while talking about how you're going to fuck Megan Fox.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This is just jerking it to some lingerie pictures in the JC Penny catalogue, while talking about how you're going to fuck Megan Fox.
View Quote
Oddly specific there
Page / 80
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top