Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2013 7:41:49 PM EDT
Watched Bonnie and Clyde, found it to be a "serious" version of "O Brother Where Art Though". But anyway....

I decided to read up a bit about Frank Hamer, since he seems to be a rather interesting person. First search result of course, was Wiki and I found this paragraph very interesting:

In 1948 he was called again to Ranger duty to play a small role in a
notorious episode in an election acknowledged to have been one of the
most corrupt in Texas history. Hamer was hired by Governor Coke Stevenson whose name by now was synonymous with old-school Texan conservative integrity, to accompany him to the Texas State Bank in Alice, the county seat of Jim Wells County in South Texas. Stevenson wanted to examine the tally sheets for ballot box 13, which held ballots for his opponent, then-Representative Lyndon Johnson,
he knew were fraudulent, and not in a way that favored him. Outside the
bank stood two glowering groups of armed men. Hamer got out of the car.
He approached the first group and said, "Git." They did. To the second
group blocking the doors of the bank he said, "Fall back." They did.

Who would have imagined some one of such great character (spit) as LBJ caught up in voter fraud? LBJ ruined this country...
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:52:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Watched Bonnie and Clyde, found it to be a "serious" version of "O Brother Where Art Though". But anyway....

I decided to read up a bit about Frank Hamer, since he seems to be a rather interesting person. First search result of course, was Wiki and I found this paragraph very interesting:

In 1948 he was called again to Ranger duty to play a small role in a notorious episode in an election acknowledged to have been one of the most corrupt in Texas history. Hamer was hired by Governor Coke Stevenson whose name by now was synonymous with old-school Texan conservative integrity, to accompany him to the Texas State Bank in Alice, the county seat of Jim Wells County in South Texas. Stevenson wanted to examine the tally sheets for ballot box 13, which held ballots for his opponent, then-Representative Lyndon Johnson, he knew were fraudulent, and not in a way that favored him. Outside the bank stood two glowering groups of armed men. Hamer got out of the car. He approached the first group and said, "Git." They did. To the second group blocking the doors of the bank he said, "Fall back." They did.

Who would have imagined some one of such great character (spit) as LBJ caught up in voter fraud? LBJ ruined this country...
View Quote

Is that sarcasm? The guy who brought us the "great society" aka bribing minorities and the poor to not riot while guaranteeing generations of democrat voters.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:37:24 PM EDT
[#2]
As a nearly life-long Texan, I can assure you that LBJ was scum and Lady Bird was a crook.  They both craved money and power.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:54:03 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a well known incident; the fraudulently cast votes of 200 dead Mexicans resulted in an 87 vote victory for LBJ.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:54:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, can't go lower than LBJ.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:05:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I've read a good deal about LBJ.He was a crude,corrupt,power hungry asshole.I am convinced he had SOMETHING to do with Kennedy's assassination.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've read a good deal about LBJ.He was a crude,corrupt,power hungry asshole.I am convinced he had SOMETHING to do with Kennedy's assassination.
View Quote

My Dad thought so to.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Is that sarcasm? The guy who brought us the "great society" aka bribing minorities and the poor to not riot while guaranteeing generations of democrat voters.
View Quote

Yes sarcasm. LBJ ruined this country with his "free shit" policies.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:56:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I know a USMC Nam vet that told me Lady Bird was a principal owner of a body bag manufacturing company during the war. Don't know if its true but wouldn't be surprised.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:03:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Captain Hamer was a badass. LBJ was a crook.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:40:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Hamer was an incredible hard-guy.

read how many gunfights he was in, the men he killed, and how many times he was shot.

I've read that "Git" story before; better than a movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Hamer
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In 1948 he was called again to Ranger duty to play a small role in a notorious episode in an election acknowledged to have been one of the most corrupt in Texas history. Hamer was hired by Governor Coke Stevenson whose name by now was synonymous with old-school Texan conservative integrity, to accompany him to the Texas State Bank in Alice, the county seat of Jim Wells County in South Texas. Stevenson wanted to examine the tally sheets for ballot box 13, which held ballots for his opponent, then-Representative Lyndon Johnson, he knew were fraudulent, and not in a way that favored him. Outside the bank stood two glowering groups of armed men. Hamer got out of the car. He approached the first group and said, "Git." They did. To the second group blocking the doors of the bank he said, "Fall back." They did.

I would quote LBJ, but it would get me banned.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:44:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep; Billie Sol Estes bought him.

http://jfkfacts.org/assassination/billy-sol-estes-leaves-the-stage-claimed-lbj-killed-jfk-and-others/
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:46:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Hamer was an old school lawman.  He was the real deal.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:57:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

does the quote involve "two hundred years"?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:58:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I thought there was a lot of revisionist history in it.  The prison rape probably happened given the brutality of that prison farm. The" second sight" premonitions, and the insinuation that Clyde knowingly drove into the ambush   because he thought Bonnie was a sociopath was a bit unbelievable.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:01:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I have respect for a man who carried the Remington Great 8.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

actual historic quotes should not be a banning offense.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have posted that quote here before (with a source) and I didn't get banned or even a timeout.  

LBJ was a real piece of work.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:07:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I beg to differ
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:15:04 PM EDT
[#20]
LBJ took one single ride in a WWII bomber and had himself decorated with a silver star

the guy was a complete scumbag
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:25:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I thought there was a lot of revisionist history in it.  The prison rape probably happened given the brutality of that prison farm. The" second sight" premonitions, and the insinuation that Clyde knowingly drove into the ambush   because he thought Bonnie was a sociopath was a bit unbelievable.
View Quote

Mostly BS.......No real proof Bonnie killed anyone. I keep hoping for a good B&C movie...but that wasn't even close.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:28:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Hamer never laid eyes on Clyde or Bonnie till he saw them though his sights......why Hollywood keeps playing that myth?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:43:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have respect for a man who carried the Remington Great 8.
View Quote

The shot that took Clyde out came from a Remington 8...in 35Rem.

But it wasn't from Hamer though...
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:48:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

There have been many stories about Clyde Barrows repeated rapes at the prison farm,they are noted for being the reason why Clyde Barrows willingness to shoot it out when threatened with capture. According to various biographies he was stated as preferring death to returning to prison. He hated the Texas Prison System and those who knew him before said the person who got out of jail was nothing like the boy who went in. Friends said he went from thieving school boy to a "rattlesnake".

In prison, the prisoner who noted for having repeated raped Barrow ended up on the receiving end of Barrow's rage, Clyde Barrow beat the man to death with a pipe. If Clyde Barrow had stopped there no one would have given a damn. Clyde Barrow was a sociopath by the time he emerged from prison and Bonnie went along for the ride and seemed to enjoy it.

The movie was bullshit Hollywood retelling of what never really happened. Bonnie and Clyde were both cold blooded killers who eventually met up with three hardened lawmen who were as dedicated to their trade and ruthless as the Bonnie and Clyde were to bank robberies and outlawing.

The truth is the pursuit of Bonnie and Clyde ended with was an extra legal killing that bordered on outright murder. However, Bonnie and Clyde set the ground rules and left enough dead bodies around that LE was bound to responded in kind.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:44:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:12:45 PM EDT
[#26]
It sickens me how Hollywood has slandered and rewrote history to denigrate  legendary lawman Frank Hamer.  Read alot about him and have nothing but respect and admiration for him.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:40:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Movie should have been about Frank Hamer and not Bonnie and Clyde.

He was an early 20th Century classic Anti-Hero whose life and deeds helped wrestle a modern America out of the twilight of the Wild West. He obviously had balls machined out of AR500 Steel.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:44:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

My Dad thought so to.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Dad thought so to.

So does Piccolo
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:02:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I know a USMC Nam vet that told me Lady Bird was a principal owner of a body bag manufacturing company during the war. Don't know if its true but wouldn't be surprised.
View Quote

Actually, she was on the Board of Directors, and held a great deal of stock in Bell Helicopter during the VietNam War.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#30]
The real story, in Bonnie and Clyde, is Frank Hamer. Now there is a story! Instead, Hollyweird takes the criminals side, and it is sickening. That movie the other night was poor at best. The world is upside down, bad is cool and good is bad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top