Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2004 8:21:37 AM EDT
Anyone experienced with frangible ammo or actually using it, Opinions?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:24:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I got the muzzle velocity of 75 grain TAP and I'm gonna load some V-Max bullets as close as possible.

75 grain Hornady TAP is supposed to be good for indoor use.  Very frangible but offers enough penetration to reach the important stuff.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:28:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep Here is some I rolled my self.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:32:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Works good... Doesn't work good in some rifles though. We use the Winchester Ranger stuff.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:57:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I know it's supposed to be target ammo, but is it any good terminally (as defensive ammo if overpenetration is a very real concern)?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:08:36 AM EDT
[#5]
PMC 223 frang=bad
The frang tips kept breaking off in the chamber during our indoor drills at Gunsite.

The year before, Gunsite had Winchester, and no one had any problems.
The winchester had some type of brass jacket that held the frang bullet together until impact.
I think they are going to go back to Winchester.

Jay
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:08:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:13:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I know it's supposed to be target ammo, but is it any good terminally (as defensive ammo if overpenetration is a very real concern)?

No.

-Troy

Your ammo oracle says that SOME of it is good... like heavier weight bullets.  

So which is it?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#8]
So what would happen if someone got shot with this stuff? Would it pulverize within an inch of impact and leave a nasty looking flesh wound? What about a hit in the head?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:18:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So what would happen if someone got shot with this stuff? Would it pulverize within an inch of impact and leave a nasty looking flesh wound? What about a hit in the head?

Balistic Gellatin tests show that most lighter bullets will penetrate only about 5 or 6 inches.

The heavier bullets (like the 75 grain V-Max I will be using) penetrate deeper... to around 10-12 inches.

FBI testing mandates that a bullet must have 12 inches of travel to be effective.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 1:13:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Years ago, I saw a training video from a prison. Not sure what prison system it was but they were using HK 94's with Glaser Safety slugs. Anyway, there was a small riot and one inmate took a 9MM Glaser in the chest. It looked like someone just flicked the "off" switch on him. No expresion, no grabbing the wound or anything...the guy just dropped on the spot. I was kinda impressed. Then again it was coming out of a long barrel carbine, I doubt a pistol would do this.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:10:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm wondering if frangibles can be damaged in a auto-pistol and should only be used in a revolver.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top