Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2002 12:15:31 PM EDT
Hi I know that there are at least a few Filipino/Filipino descent members here (including me) Have any of you heard of this place in Manila?  

I met a Vietnam Vet who visited there several times and found it to be a very solemn shrine to the Americans who fought in WWII.  He described it as very moving and beautiful.  I am trying to find some info on the web, but can't really find anything.  

I think that is the right name.  He said that it also goes by the name of Veterans Park.

I was born here (Illinois) and only been to the islands once when I was 2yo, so I was hoping someone else might have some ideas.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 3:12:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 3:26:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Try a web search for "Fort Bonifacio"  Here's one site I found with pics:

[url]www.aenet.org/philip/crossb.htm[/url]

Born in the Philippines but left at a young age. I've been back a few times but never had chance to visit the memorial site.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 4:00:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not Filipino, but you must mean Fort Bonifacio. The cemetery is located within the fort (which used to be a US base). It's actually the largest US cemetery on foreign soil. If you go, just ask where to find the American Cemetery and War Memorial. They'll know what you're talking about. It's one hell of a site -- I was there in 1994. If you need a list of the things to see, I can tell you where I went, and also, areas to avoid.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 4:12:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 4:20:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Been there. "Fort Bonifacio" is correct.
View Quote

Isn't this about a bitch!!! I'm Filipino, and I have not been there. [:(]

but yes it is "Bonifacio" named after a national hero, Andres Bonifacio. At least I know this: Andres Bonifacio founded the secret society, Katipunan, on July 7, 1892, to fight Spain. Born in Tondo, Manila, on November 30, 1863. He was killed on May 10, 1897 in Cavite.

Edited to add: this is the exact same time Dr. Jose Rizal was waking up the Philippine people conscience against the Spaniards rule in the Phillipines. If I recall correctly, Andres Bonifacio took up where Rizal left off in his passing.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 6:36:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the help guys... I knew you'd have the answers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top