Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2003 8:43:03 AM EDT
Excuse me while I

Anyone still want to bet this bitch isn't going to try and get in on the '04 elections?

That fact that she's even on a list of "admired" people tells me just how fucked up this country is.

www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2003-12-30-admired_x.htm

Former first lady tops current one in admired list

By Judy Keen, USA TODAY

WASHINGTON — President Bush again ranks as the man most admired by Americans. But first lady Laura Bush came in third among women in the annual poll.

For the second year in a row, Democratic Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York was the most admired woman. The former first lady was the first or second choice of 16% in a USA TODAY/CNN/Gallup Poll. Her memoir, Living History, is a best seller this year. Last year, 7% chose her.

TV host Oprah Winfrey was second this year and in 2002. Laura Bush also was third last year. She placed first in 2001 after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Presidents often top the men's list, but the first lady is not always the most admired woman. Clinton was first for six years of her husband's eight years in office and second in 1995 and 1996. Barbara Bush was most admired in the last two years of her husband's presidency. Nancy Reagan topped the list twice during her husband's eight-year tenure.

Stephen Hess, a presidential scholar at the Brookings Institution in Washington, says Laura Bush's third-place finish doesn't suggest Americans don't respect her.

"An awful lot of this really has to do with celebrity rather than power," he says.

He says Clinton's ranking indicates the divisive image she had during her husband's presidency is being erased as people judge her on her own achievements. "Part of what's going on is the image separation, if not the political separation, from her husband," he says.

Laura Bush was named by 6% of people in the poll, the lowest for a first lady since Nancy Reagan got the same percentage in 1984. Bush was the first or second choice of 8% of women and 4% of men.

Republican pollster Steve Kinney says Americans respect Laura Bush, but she hasn't been as high-profile or controversial as her predecessor. Clinton led a failed effort to overhaul health care. Bush focuses on reading and literacy.

"Those that know her really feel good about her," Kinney says. "Her issues are something the public really cares about. But she understands who's president."

Joanne Ciulla, a professor of ethics and leadership at the University of Richmond in Virginia, says Clinton is "sort of like the nerdy good girl in school who studies hard." Some people dislike that image, but others admire her public service.

Bush, Ciulla says, represents a different but still powerful image of modern women: "the schoolteacher who cares about young children."

The president's political strategists say Laura Bush will be a prominent asset during the re-election campaign. The first lady has been the headliner at 13 fundraisers that have collected $5 million for the campaign.

The first lady is raising her profile. On Sunday, she appeared on NBC's Meet the Press. She wants to travel without her husband to Afghanistan this spring to draw attention to the return of girls to school there and to press for women's rights.

She told NBC that she infrequently gives advice to her husband. "I don't really want a lot of advice from him, and I know he doesn't really want a lot of advice from me. So I make an effort to only speak out when I really feel like I can't help but speak out."

President Bush was the first or second choice of 29% for most admired man. That's one of the top three scores for men since Gallup began asking the question in 1948. Last year, he was first with 28%. In 2001, Bush scored the highest ranking ever for most admired man with 39%.

In this year's survey of 1,004 adults, Secretary of State Colin Powell and Pope John Paul II tied for second place with 4%.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:47:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:08:56 AM EDT
[#2]
YUCK!
I would be wondering what's the gimmick? And how did this guy do the survey?
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:19:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Clark-Clinton 2004

Mark my words, he who has ears let him hear!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:24:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Didn't you get the memo?  If you DON'T vote for Hilary you're on her 'list'.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:35:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
(snip)If you were diagnosed with a fatal disease and needed someone to manage a $ 500,000 trust fund for your kids who would you choose, Mrs. Bush or that other one?
View Quote

That other one, obviously. After all, didn't she say* she parlayed a $1000 investment in the hog or cattle futures market into a whole hundred thousand dollars or so, in just one month? Sooo-ee!

*Well, heck, it's gotta be true- after all, she came out and said it in the newspaper, right, so it must be true....

[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:40:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Key phrase:

The former first lady was the first or second choice of [red]16%[/red]
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:41:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Now.......someone ask the question "Why is this country so screwed up?"

Hitlery is the Most Admired Woman in America!

THAT ought to tell you something about the people who live next door to you!

The ENEMY isn't in D.C......isn't in Law Enforcement......isn't at the state capitol!

The ENEMY lives next door to you!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:45:43 AM EDT
[#8]
[size=6][red]HIT THIS POLL!!! GWB IS CURRENTLY IN 1ST PLACE, KEEP HIM THERE!  ALSO POST THIS POLL ON ALL OTHER LIKE MINDED SITES, DU HAS IT AND IS GOING NUTS.[/red][/size=6]

[url]www.cnn.com[/url]

Look for the poll on the lower right.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:59:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Hillary Bush the most admired person(s)
[rofl2]

Talk about two totally different perspectives.

That is probably our prospective

Their perspective is they are alike

Both politicians [:D]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:07:28 PM EDT
[#10]
[bs]

Come on, you know this is a bullshit poll, consider the source.  I believe that most Americans dislike that fat elephant legged bitch.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:03:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Id rather vote for Jenna Jameson for most admired then Hillary.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 2:31:00 AM EDT
[#12]
All it comes down to is name recognition.  Who's names do the public hear in the news?  Most of the country is too stupid to know anyone else of importance.  Besides movie stars, how many names of women are prominently mentioned in the news?  America is fed by the box in the living room.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:42:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Bill & Hillary deserve each other.  Misery loves company.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 7:12:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I believe that most Americans dislike that fat elephant legged bitch.
View Quote

You don't get out much do you?

50% of America is JUST LIKE HER....and they LOVE Billy Klinton too!
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 7:21:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Clark-Clinton 2004
View Quote

Jeez, can you imagine what would go on in the oval office late at night if these two won? [puke]
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:16:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Clark and Clinton in 2004. Hmm, I wonder how long it'll take before Clark is found in Ft. Marcy Park with a bullet (or 2) on his head in an "apparent suicide"?

Bub
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top