Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2001 11:45:08 AM EDT
A great American debate.

What do you prefer?  GM, or "[b]F[/b]ix [b]O[/b]r [b]R[/b]epair [b]D[/b]aily"?
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 11:48:43 AM EDT
[#1]
CHEVY aka GMC

FORD SUCKS

Dodge is ok though
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 11:58:05 AM EDT
[#2]
HONDA for cars
Toyota for trucks (until Honda gets its version of the MDX)

If it's the choice between the lesser of 2 evils, then Ford.

Oh what a feelin!
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 12:07:04 PM EDT
[#3]
yea-get a ford f--150-then when you crash, you will already have a custom fit coffin to bury your ass in!
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 12:10:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Definitely Chevrolet.  The GM sports cars (Corvette, Z28 & Trans Am) beat the HELL out of any Buttstain GT (AKA Rustang or Crustang u pick) that ever hit the market.  Chevy definitely has a better line of trucks too.  I always here that BS about Ford outselling GM.  I have a friend that is a perfect example.  He's a GM man but he settled for a Ford because he got it $1000 cheaper than a Chevy.  You get what you pay for and apparently a lot of people just settle like he did.  I would definitely pay the extra $20 a month to get the one I wanted rather than settle for a Friggin Old Rebiult Dodge!

Bill
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 12:15:13 PM EDT
[#5]
This thread might as well be a "what's better, AK or AR?" Thread.

GM all the way for me. Have never gone wrong with it. Started in H.S. with a Cutlass 442 to my current Camaro and various GM cars in between.

Again as personal preference, I would only buy Amrican or European cars. The only Japanese car I would buy would be an Acura NSX. Japanese just does not represent performance to me.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 1:16:37 PM EDT
[#7]
On the main question, Chevy/GM...
However, after wrenching for Toyota for 16 years, I find myself owning only Toyota's
As far as reliability, toughness(pre tacoma trucks and cruisers) and engineering and design, no one even comes close !!
[x]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 1:27:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Amen Butkus. A Toyota Tundra puts the big three's little dicks in the dirt. And they are made right here in the US.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 1:31:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Chrysler Corp. for cars, Mazda or Toyota for trucks, small block Ford for ski boat power.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 1:54:47 PM EDT
[#10]
....the only truck I ever had was a black 1952 Chevy 1/4 ton, back in the late 70s- lotsa fun, esp. the foot starter and the oil bath in the air cleaner. Oh yeah- 16" tires! Wheezy vacuum wipers...

Then I seriously got into Mopar- slant sixes. You can't kill them. I even blew the wristpin on one, it made a huge hole in the side of the engine, I still drove it on a date that night, and yes, despite the fact that I had to turn the key to start at stop lights because the thudding engine kept stalling out, I still got lucky that night! >:^D

I also had a 1961 Plymouth Fury with push-button auto trans, 383 c.i. engine, with a boat tail rear end, wraparound rear and front glass, eyebrow double headlights, sharkmouth grille, torpedo tailights and a horizontal thermometer-style speedometer that, as you drove faster, became red more and more. One day I got it to become red all the way....I was on Rte 495 outside Milford, MA, when suddenly I saw about 4 State Trooper cruisers on the side of the road, with many speeders sitting waiting for their medicine :^). I went past them so fast, I swear, the blue shift occurred :^) It took me about a mile to stop. Next thing I knew, one of the troopers came running up, and asked me, "Where's your &%*##ing parachute?" I didn't dare answer. (Police can't talk to speeders like that anymore- this was 1980.) After about an hour and a half, and a lot of consultation among the officers, they let me go with a BIG ticket....

I got a ticket for driving 111 miles per hour- I then lost my lic. for all of two weeks, at the end of the year- why so little, I still don't know. I didn't ask any questions- I figured I'd screwed up enough already. I learned my lesson- I could have died that day.

Nowadays....

I drive like a grandmother. I haven't been stopped by a traffic cop in years. I own Saturns, and love them. Saturn is the ultimate no-BS car. Had a 1995 SW1 for years, drove it all over the Eastern Seaboard and Canada, no probs. Too small, though, (esp. after driving for about ten hours straight...) so I just got a Saturn mid-size wagon with power everything and V6. Ahhh.... life is good. :^)

Ford or GM? GM.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:09:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I used to fix cars/trucks for a living, & would definitely say the GM product would be my favorite.  Ford [i]does[/i] suck in my opinion, & you couldn't [i]give[/i] me a Chrysler product.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:13:50 PM EDT
[#13]
FORD!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:18:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:40:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:47:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Again as personal preference, I would only buy Amrican or European cars. The only Japanese car I would buy would be an Acura NSX. Japanese just does not represent performance to me.
View Quote

My 80 cubic inch rotary turbo is pumping out 300hp at the rear wheels and it is an every day driver.  Sounds like performance to me, 160+.  If I had to buy American I would buy Ford.

Quoted:
yea-get a ford f--150-then when you crash, you will already have a custom fit coffin to bury your ass in!
View Quote

Actually the Chevy's did not do much better.  The only one that was acceptable by the test standards was the full size Toyota and it was vastly better than any of the other full size pickups.

Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:53:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A great American debate.

What do you prefer?  GM, or "[b]F[/b]ix [b]O[/b]r [b]R[/b]epair [b]D[/b]aily"?
View Quote

"[b]F[/b]ound [b]O[/b]n [b]R[/b]oad [b]D[/b]ead" :^)
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I have Chevy C2500's and F250's for work trucks The chevys are still running strong and the F250 is in the shop as I type!
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 3:45:43 PM EDT
[#19]
FORD!

I have an 89 LX with some down home work done to her and she rocks.  I have never lost to a Camaro or Trans Am in any test of power and have beat many Corvettes (but did lose to one Vette on the quarter).

All work on ths Stang is home done in my buddys garage, except the gears, while under the influence of alcohol with nary a problem.

As far as 1960s to 1970s Ford vs Chevy preference, to me they are all sweet.  But in the 1980s to present, give me a Ford muscle car anyday.

Edited for... First On Race Day
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 3:52:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Formerly a GM man but converted to Ford by the Explorers, Taurus as an all round car.

Try em both and buy the best deal.(The new TBirds look cool though!!)
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:06:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Another vote for FORD. I drive a Mustang GT and my wife drives a new Taurus. GM parts are cheaper, but that's because you will need a lot more of them.

FORD = First On Race Day
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:15:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'll stick with my 360 Durango.  Nothing seems to phase it.  Last summer I was off-roading in Big Bend.  I passed several Chevy's and Fords of all makes...Exploder, Blazer, pickups...all were either broken down from the rough terrain, or overheated.  I even had to tow one of them!My only problem was a flat from a nice pointy rock.  Dodge all the way!
View Quote

Ah, my new found friend!

Chevys too heavy and i'm bored with Ford.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:24:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Yugos!
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:32:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Silly question. It really depends on the year and the vehicle.
Any other opinion is just brand loyalty which saves the companies from making better cars.

If Ford knows 50% of trucks sold are going to be F150's, why improve them. Look how the introducion of the Dodge Ram gave a kick in the pants to the other two companies. The new Toyota V8 will keep the big three continuing to improve.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#25]
GM products are for me.  I have had 5 so far.  Three trucks and two cars and have had very few problems.  I had two Ford trucks and had engine problems with both.  I'll stick with GM.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:47:32 PM EDT
[#26]
After having been in the car business for over 8 years now, selling Fords and Dodges, it has come to my conclusion that:

98% of the world are idiots!
the other 2% are walking!!!
hahahahah
[spank]

Not a flame just an observation!!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:56:41 PM EDT
[#27]
What should i get, a 40 cal or a 45 cal???????????????...[grenade]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 6:16:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Tastes Great!
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 6:28:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Wanna know the real truth? Niether. My dad has worked at a coal mine for over two decades.  I thought he would be a good preson to ask since the trucks out thier have NEVER seen pavement and they get beat the F*** up. So about a year ago I asked him and he said.

"Niether.  They all last 40,000 miles. We buy from whoever gives us a better deal. If there was a better one, we would only by one."

So my answer is whatever one looks the best is the one to have.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#30]
CHEVY
anything else is dumb and stupid to spend your money on.

althought the toyota tundra wold be my second choice.
-Chuck
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 6:35:09 PM EDT
[#31]
hmmmmmmmmm......no jeep fans huh?  I'm not talkin that chrysler crap either, just honest and true jeeps.  Have two presently and owned one years ago.  Gotta say though, if I wasnt drivin a jeep, I'd be in a GM.  Loved both my trucks and both camaros dearly....but would just as soon cruise about 30 with no top.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 6:47:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Chevrolet or GMC trucks are my choice and I'd like to get me a 67' Stingray for my weekend car.

Link Posted: 6/25/2001 6:54:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Chevrolet or GMC trucks are my choice and I'd like to get me a 67' Stingray for my weekend car.

View Quote
                                             AHHH,  a good ole` chevy man......[smoke]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 10:06:21 PM EDT
[#34]
There really is no contest here....

FORD is the vehicle to buy.  There is no other car or truck manufacturer that is as committed to diversity as FoMoCo...Brings a tear of pride to the eyes. (sniff)

You want proof?  Try reading this...[url]http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig/e-cobb4.html[/url]

If you still end up buying anything else you must be a (insert appropriate -ist here) and are in dire need of sensitivity training.

Thank goodness for Ford at least someone in corporate America is doing something about removing the White/Male good ol' Boy network!!!

Link Posted: 6/25/2001 11:21:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Well I've had both Fords and Chev's, Firebirds and mustangs Cudas and roadruners. And I'll tell you that if you want one thats built right [ get a Toyota ] unless you just like to work on your ride all the time.But I have to admit some of those cars were a lot of fun!!!
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 12:14:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Fords any day though my wife likes our Volvo. At least Ford has a vested interest in them so I can sleep with a good conscious at night. I don't have much hatred for Mopars though I detest chevys with a passion.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 2:34:15 AM EDT
[#37]
The Japs build one hell of a car I agree.  But I, in my true patriotism, buy American.  I like Ford cars and trucks, I have never had problems with any I've owned.  Its in the maintenance and care of the vehicle that makes 'em last.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 4:02:55 AM EDT
[#38]
When you keep them for a LONG time you find out what really works.....
 I've had a bunch of Ford trucks.  If you don't keep them until the wear out, Ford makes a nice truck.  However, if you keep it long enough, the high cost of repair parts, coupled with the fact that most Fords are a pain in the a$$ to repair, You'll end up a Chevy man.  Most of the Fords I see are starting to fall apart at 120 to 150,000 miles.  My ugly old Blazer has over a quarter million miles on it, and still going.......
 I spent less money for a complete premium grade exhaust system (full duals no less) for the Blazer, than for a muffler & tailpipe for the wife's T-bird.  Enough said.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 4:27:57 AM EDT
[#39]
as far as my prior post about F150 death mobile-it is true-Ford got the lowest possible crash rating ever given out.  The crash testers said basically, they wouldnt let their dog ride in the pos's.  Yes GM came in not so good either, but it was still better.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 5:49:57 AM EDT
[#40]
GM all the way. Specifically Pontiac, old Pontiacs, old fast Pontiacs, old fast Pontiacs which easily outrun the newer fodder from both GM and Ford.[:D] Japanese cars have no soul.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 7:21:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Ford VS.??????-----Does any one build vehicles other than Ford?  I see other trash on the road when i drive,but figure it's just ufo's. Unidenified f---ing objects. I've submerged,rolled,grossly overloaded, severely abused my current Ford hunting rig and it keeps ticking. Like timex! Over forty years owning and driving almost exclusively ford products.  Almost, meaning i once foolishly bought the wife a 92 grand am ,she is still pissed at me for putting her in that POS!  Ben
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 7:56:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Just to back-up my previous post. Many years back my wife and i went to a gravel pit with my then very worn out 1973 F-100 with a 302ci motor. We went to pick-up a load of sand, we were quoted a price over the phone, when we got there they told us to back up to loading pile,which we did. They dumped a yard and a half of sand in the box, it was higher than the cab in the rear of the bed. They then asked for 50% more for the load than they quoted on the phone!  They said that was standard price for filling a F-150 4X4. I showed them the marking on my truck,no mistaking the f-100 emblem. The load was close to 3000lbs. They said it looked ok,since it hadn't even settled the springs in the rear.  The rear bumper was sitting on the sand pile,had to pop the clutch three times to get off the pile. Wound up the old truck in first gear and hit the brakes,causing the sand to shift forward. It worked great,got a little more weight on front tires, tried again to transfer more weight forward,bad move blew rear brake lines. Needless to say it was an exciting 10 mile drive home with just front brakes and the emergancy brake back-up.   When they say Ford tough they really mean it!!
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Okay, time for me to reply now.  

I go with GM.  Buick, more specifically.  I have had a 98, and a LeSabre, and the LeSabre lasted 150,000 miles with only regular upkeep, and was running like a dream when I sold her.  The 98 (Olds) is also a fine car.

As for you Chrysler owners; I feel sorry for you.  Chrysler makes the ugliest cars, no contest.  Besides that, they are complete junk.

Favorite car:  1964 Chevrolet Impala
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 12:06:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Two companies enjoy a majority of the auto sales market of American manufacturers.  Their products are nearly the same, with many essential components made by the same supplier.  The difference is that one leads in recalls and service bulletins, as if its models were put on the market a bit before the bugs were worked out of the design.  The other company sells less vehicles overall.  Go figure...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top