Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/27/2014 2:08:27 PM EDT
I bought a 2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost.  Lately I have noticed the radiator fan running at full speed all the time.  Is this normal?  Does anyone else have this problem?  Any info on this is appreciated.  Thanks
ETA:  Be back later this evening...

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 2:11:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Outside temp?

Is your AC on?
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 2:12:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Haven't noticed anything extraordinary.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 2:13:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Could be the AC running instead.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#4]
It was 102 outside and the air conditioner was running.  I shut off the AC and the radiator fan kept going full speed.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#5]

It's not January. It's HOT outside OP.

Report back in December.

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Could it be because of the water cooled turbos?
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 4:01:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Turbos get kinda warm.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Not on mine.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 4:10:20 PM EDT
[#9]
The answer is to always run more boost.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Turbos get kinda warm.
View Quote
This, and the turbos on the Eco are liquid cooled.

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The answer is to always run more boost.
View Quote

I'm fixin to put the methanol/water injection on mine.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I bought a 2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost.  Lately I have noticed the radiator fan running at full speed all the time.  Is this normal?  Does anyone else have this problem?  Any info on this is appreciated.  Thanks

View Quote

It will shut-off once you drive, and start up when you sit in traffic (like a traffic light)...its worse in hot weather and with AC on (I tend not to turn the AC ON even when its 90, so I notice the fan running when I have the windows down)
<--2011 and 2014 ECO F150 owner....
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 4:27:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 4:28:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Report back in December.

View Quote

To run at full speed every time?  That seems a little odd, but I am looking for opinions from those who have experience with a Ford EcoBoost.  

ETA:   Do you have an EcoBoost?   I respect your Ham knowledge.

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 4:30:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It will shut-off once you drive, and start up when you sit in traffic (like a traffic light)...its worse in hot weather and with AC on (I tend not to turn the AC ON even when its 90, so I notice the fan running when I have the windows down)

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It doesn't shut off unless I shut the engine off.  The temp gauge needle is right in the middle of the temperature spectrum.  

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 4:30:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Does the fan come on as soon as you start the truck? Or only after it reaches operating temp?
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

To run at full speed every time?  That seems a little odd, but I am looking for opinions from those who have experience with a Ford EcoBoost.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Report back in December.

You have three things that need cooler air (4 actually). The "intercooler" -technically they are all intercoolers, but the word tends to stick with the cooled air that goes into the turbos-, the radiator, the oil cooler and the transmission cooler (if you have one of the tow packages)
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 4:34:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Does the fan come on as soon as you start the truck? Or only after it reaches operating temp?
View Quote

As soon as I start it.

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 4:34:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

You have three things that need cooler air (4 actually). The "intercooler" -technically they are all intercoolers, but the word tends to stick with the cooled air that goes into the turbos-, the radiator, the oil cooler and the transmission cooler (if you have one of the tow packages)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Report back in December.

There are 3 radiators up front.

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 4:34:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

As soon as I start it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As soon as I start it.

to be clear we are talking about it comes on at the first start of the morning when it's cold right?

IF so then you probably have a failed fan controller and it's in failsafe mode.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 4:39:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
to be clear we are talking about it comes on at the first start of the morning when it's cold right?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As soon as I start it.

Yep.  First thing in the morning.    

I guess I'll be taking it in to be serviced.

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 4:40:21 PM EDT
[#22]
My body got a Ecoboost and his fan is also on a lot and loud as hell.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 4:42:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As soon as I start it.

I doubt it, the ECO holds a lot of heat (turbos are partially to blame). I have driven the truck, let it sit for a few hours and start it and the fans kick on. I even opened the hood three or four hours later and the amount of heat that is still in the bay is "impressive"

I assume the fan running in full mode is normal when high external temps are present AND/OR the AC is on.

OP: Also, if this is your first ECO...the steam coming out of the hood while you are at a light (or stopped and the engine is running) when it is raining (or snowing) is normal :)
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 4:48:15 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote

No. I quit Ford while the EcoBoost was still being developed and didn't get a change to lay hands on it. With the water cooled turbos, charge cooler and added heat in May, I'm not surprised to hear the fan is running on high most/all the time.

When the engine is cold with the AC off, does it still run full time on high?

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 4:58:00 PM EDT
[#25]
I haven't noticed it on the last two ecoboost trucks I have had.  But if it is 100 degrees outside I would not doubt that the fans would run balls out from the get go.  You have an air intake charge temp sensor,  liquid cooled turbos,  ac condenser and assorted other sensors telling the ecu to cool things.  The fan cools the radiator,  trans cooler and intercooler all of which exchange heat and need air running across them.  If it is kicking the fans on high from the start up in 70 or 80 degree weather then I would question it.  

Those engine bays hold an impressive amount of heat with the hot turbos under there.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 5:31:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Its normal....  I have an Ecobeast.
View Quote

Dang... If that's the case it almost makes as much noise as a diesel.

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It was 102 outside and the air conditioner was running.  I shut off the AC and the radiator fan kept going full speed.  
View Quote

Because it was still 102 after you shut off the AC.

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 6:11:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Report back in December.

Cooling fans only run at full speed.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 6:18:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Report back in December.

If you mean "run" as in "pulling power from the belt," then you're right. If you mean "run" as in "turn," then no. Clutch pack between fan and shaft makes it pinwheel at speed, because if you were running it at belt speed, it would actually overheat the engine in normal driving.

(Not saying you don't know that, just wanted to make sure it was clear for OP)

OP, it's probably normal. As long as it quiets down when you start driving you'll be okay. If it stays loud all the time, moving at speeds 15-20mph+, then you have a problem.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 6:23:44 PM EDT
[#31]
We bought an F150 King Ranch with the V6 Eco Boost engine last year. I have not noticed the cooling fan running excessively and it does get hot here in Texas.  The one question I have for you is whether you have added any accessory that partially covers the grill opening below the bumper? If you have done anything that blocks or restricts the airflow will cause the engine to run hotter than normal and trigger the cooling fan.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 6:31:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If you mean "run" as in "pulling power from the belt," then you're right. If you mean "run" as in "turn," then no. Clutch pack between fan and shaft makes it pinwheel at speed, because if you were running it at belt speed, it would actually overheat the engine in normal driving.

OP, it's probably normal. As long as it quiets down when you start driving you'll be okay. If it stays loud all the time, moving at speeds 15-20mph+, then you have a problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Report back in December.

We are talking about electric fans.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

We bought an F150 King Ranch with the V6 Eco Boost engine last year. I have not noticed the cooling fan running excessively and it does get hot here in Texas.  The one question I have for you is whether you have added any accessory that partially covers the grill opening below the bumper? If you have done anything that blocks or restricts the airflow will cause the engine to run hotter than normal and trigger the cooling fan.
View Quote

The only thing I put in there was the factory grill that snaps in.  I don't think it would restrict air flow as it was made for the opening and only has 2 vertical fins.  Otherwise it's wide open.

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Report back in December.

Oh yeah? While I do not know what they currently use in evoboost trucks they most certainly make dual speed fans and have for many many years.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As soon as I start it.

Yup. Something is amiss. That is what the warranty is for.

Get a TAP rental if you need to leave it.

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 8:17:15 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Report back in December.

HI-LO speed electric fans have been around 20 years. The last decade has seen variable speed fans.

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 8:17:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Oh yeah? While I do not know what they currently use in evoboost trucks they most certainly make dual speed fans and have for many many years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Report back in December.

Okay.  I have never seen a dual speed cooling fan on any vehicle, but you may be onto something there.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 8:18:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
HI-LO speed electric fans have been around 20 years. The last decade has seen variable speed fans.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Report back in December.

In vehicles?
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 8:20:21 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Report back in December.

Incorrect. All belt drive clutch fans are engineered to run at full lock for maximum cooling when needed.

OP's Ecoboost is electric.

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 8:21:54 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
In vehicles?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Report back in December.

In vehicles?

Yes. Obsolete now with Pules Width Modulated variable speed controllers, but still used.,

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 8:24:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Yes. Obsolete now with Pules Width Modulated variable speed controllers, but still used.,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In vehicles?

Well hell, learn something new every day.

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Have you switched to 93 octane fuel?  The 13-14 Ecoboosts is recommended by Ford to run premium in hot weather or when towing.  Seems to help a lot with the fan issues in the Ford Texas forums.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 8:29:13 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As soon as I start it.

What is a TAP rental?

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 8:30:16 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Have you switched to 93 octane fuel?  The 13-14 Ecoboosts is recommended by Ford to run premium in hot weather or when towing.  Seems to help a lot with the fan issues in the Ford Texas forums.
View Quote

Never heard of that.  Hmmmm, I wonder how that helps?

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 8:34:35 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Well hell, learn something new every day.
View Quote
I've been a pro mechanic for 2 decades, and it's a rare day when I don't see something new.

Here's one from way back

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 8:36:16 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

What is a TAP rental?

View Quote
Warranty service paid rental car or truck when you need to leave your stuff overnight.

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Report back in December.

The air to air intake inter cooler is actually after the compressor section of the turbochargers. So technically, it would be "cooling the air coming out of the turbos", not going in.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 8:37:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Premium actually burns cooler than regular.
I think.

Every Ecoboost we have had traded in has had this fan problem that was either fixed by us after the trade-in or by the previous owner before trading in.
Once these trucks start running out of warranty people start dumping them.

The bloom is off that rose.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 8:38:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From owners manual:

3.5L V6 EcoBoostTM engine
Your vehicle is designed to run on regular fuel with an octane rating of 87 or higher. For best overall performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel will be most noticeable in hot weather or in severe duty applications such as towing a trailer.

Seems to help in Texas.  I have no experience with it though.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 8:48:38 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
From owners manual:

Your vehicle is designed to run on regular fuel with an octane rating of 87 or higher. For best overall performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel will be most noticeable in hot weather or in severe duty applications such as towing a trailer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

From owners manual:

The PCM is extremely adept at compensating for driving conditions and optimizing the fueling and ignition maps for your fuel and weather.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top